Menu

Audible.com for Self-Ed?

I'm trying to decide whether getting a membership would be worth it. I am thinking I'd listen to a lot of audiobooks while jogging, now that I'm up to continuous runs on C25K and not sprints.

So, if you use Audible for self-ed, what really great versions of classics (a la Well-Educated Mind's lists), history books (Guns, Germs and Steel-type titles), or education/homeschooling books have you downloaded and loved?

I'm trying to decide whether getting a membership would be worth it. I am thinking I'd listen to a lot of audiobooks while jogging, now that I'm up to continuous runs on C25K and not sprints.

So, if you use Audible for self-ed, what really great versions of classics (a la Well-Educated Mind's lists), history books (Guns, Germs and Steel-type titles), or education/homeschooling books have you downloaded and loved?

I'm a long time enthusiastic Audible member. I like to alternate reading classics and lighter books. They have just about anything you could imagine. On audio I am more likely to tackle longer works that I would not possibly have time for otherwise (Middlemarch, The Count of Monte Cristo). They have good sales every once in a while where you can buy "extra" books after you have used up your credits - sometimes as low as $5.

A couple of things about Audible that not everyone may know -

1. If you have used up your book credits and want to buy a book, first find that book on amazon.com and click on the "audio" version of that book through the amazon link. It will pull up the audible site but you will receive a discount on that book and all subsequent books you view through that window.

2. FYI - audible is owned by amazon.com

3. If at all possible read the reviews and pay attention to the star ratings of the books you choose. But be careful because for certain subjects (politics, religion, for example) a large % of people will give a one-star rating just because they don't agree with the author. I like to check the book reviews on amazon as well as on audible just to get a more complete picture.

4. Be sure to listen to a minute or two of the audio you are about to purchase. Sometimes a good book can be ruined by a bad narrator so you should always try it out first. There are usually several versions of a classic so you will want to see which reader you like best.

5. If you have any technical trouble -- call audible customer service. They are very helpful.

6. Maintaining a wishlist is a good way to keep track of books. I go through my wishlist fairly often.