Offering Friday School ( Co-op ) coming Sept 2011

A Unique Parent Led Home Education Opportunity

promoting a Christian World View

Information Meeting @ 7pm, April 11, 2011

Evergreen Presbyterian Church

905 Cottage St NE

Salem, OR 97301

You are Invited to our First Information Meeting;

Our program is designed specifically for parental involvement and children ages 3-18.

During the Information Meeting we will go through a typical day at “TCA†and introduce the founders of the group. Our group will operate with parents sharing the work, and fees, such as for supplies, will be kept to a minimum.

The scope of the elementary program includes a Christian World View that encompasses Science, History, Latin, Art, Writing, and a variety of Electives. Each subject will be approached through multi-sensory learning, where oral instruction will be combined with supplemental materials and hands-on activities such as labs, projects and games.

For 7th - 12 grades we aim to lighten your load in the pursuit of a quality, Christ-centered education for your upper grades student. Science, History, Writing,

Latin and electives will be offered at this level.

We look forward to meeting you!

For more information contact

Carrie

carrieandglenn@gmail.com

We serve all over the greater Salem area, including Dallas , Monmouth , Keizer , Molalla , Scio , Stayton , Silverton , and Woodburn .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pax :)

I have no idea if you're in the Salem area... but feel free to pm me with your email... and I'll let you know what I like around here... We have a Christian Co-op that's going on this coming year. Also, Christian or not, Exodus Books is a great Homeschooling Bookstore. :) Gilbert House is great... as is OMSI :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking for anyone in the Portland area who might be able to help me with some long distance questions about moving there. There is a really good chance my husband landed a job in Portland (we should know for sure on Thursday) so am trying to figure things out on how to make the move from Colorado there.

He will be working at PDX so we would be looking for a neighborhood within commuting distance. There are 3 of us and two dogs (1 large). I would love to find a house to rent but am guessing that will be tough to find under $1000 that will allow dogs? Any areas to avoid?

Anne

Hi There!!

Welcome to Oregon :) I can't be of more help, because "commuting" around here... has been about 30-90 minutes each way for my husband :( This is the closest he's worked in 10 years, and so our 30-45 minutes seems short.. compared :) (And he likes the job! Bonus!!)

Depending on what side he's working... I like Wilsonville and also Canby :)

Hi, you'll need to be more specific about where the job is before we could advise you of good neighborhoods. I've seen really cool, reasonably priced homes in the Milwaukie area, but that won't help you if he is working in Northwest Portland. Azalea

Thanks for the reply! He is going to be working at Portland International Airport. Looking at the possibility of Vancouver as well. However not sure what traffic is like in the morning commute. He is starting on graveyard shift so I guess normal rush hour is not a huge issue at this time.

Thanks for the reply! He is going to be working at Portland International Airport. Looking at the possibility of Vancouver as well. However not sure what traffic is like in the morning commute. He is starting on graveyard shift so I guess normal rush hour is not a huge issue at this time.

Near PDX, hmmm... that gives lots of options. I worked near there and had a co-worker that lived on a houseboat. Most of my co-workers chose to live in Vancouver. At least at that time, it was financially the right choice. I wonder if his HR dept. might have some advice about the advantages/disadvantages of living in Wash. and working in Oregon.

Living on a houseboat sounds interesting!

They are flying him out tomorrow for the day to take a look around and make sure everyone is happy, so I asked him to start asking some questions if there is time. He will be out for two weeks in June for training so I want some choices for him to look at.

I believe if we lived in Washington, we would still pay income tax on the money he makes in Oregon, but other income would be non taxable (dividends, etc).

I really did not think things would move this fast but I am glad they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!!

We are SOOO excited about our Homeschool Co-op; we've done a few "Info Mtgs" and are now just doing small ones.

We are having a small one tomorrow, Monday at 10am. We also will do them for families with Jr High/Highschool on a "request one" type Mtg :)

We do have a few spots for families with children in the younger grades, although we have enough for a nice sized co-op, right now :)

If you'd like more information, check out our website, or just give me an email or phone call.

We also have a Facebook Page for Trivium Cooperative Academy, and would love to have you "like" us..... We really want to serve families in our area.

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

We're doing our park day; great day to meet people and sign-up for the co-op. We're doing a Co-op with SOTW for younger kids.... (history) and All American Jr High, and MFW for HS... and then more curricula for other subjects, too. (Covering core subjects, minus math :))

Feel free to PM me for directions, etc...

We also have Field Trips planned for the summer & school year!

Yay!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well... Ashland is great for Shakespeare festivals, and Salem is great... cuz we have a great hs group here. I would kinda recommend one over the other... to actually live in... depending on your personality and views. I see Ashland as a much more liberal... "free" spot to live. I know plenty of liberals here, around Salem... but there seems like more of a mix. BUT, even though I live here... that may not be a fair way to view the two places. I did like Ashland to visit, but at least where we visited... it wouldn't be where I raise my family. Good Luck!! :)

• 2 months later...

Open Houses for Trivium Cooperative Academy Homeschool Co-op (TCA in the Salem Oregon) coming up Dec 9th (no guest children) & Jan 20th (limited spots for guest children, so pls RSVP,$5.00 per child for included activities)

Our Co-op runs Sept through May each year, & we serve families with at least one child 6yrs or older through Highschool. We have core subjects as well as electives, taught by adults in our group. Our Co-op is taught with a Christian Worldview perspective. (Co-op day is from 8:30am-3:15pm on Fridays)

You're invited to view/participate in a day of co-op & see if it would be a good spot for your family. Registrations for new families are being accepted for the 2012/2013 year as of Feb 2011.

Please contact me for more information. When we receive your RSVP we will respond with more information, and verify that there is still room.

Thanks!! Carrie Just pm me ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there. Saw at the beginning of this thread that there was a hs group out of Aumsville, and I wondered if that was still active and if there were any groups further out the Canyon (Mill City or Gates)? We're new to the area, will probably be here about a year with my husband's job.

Thanks!

Tracey R.

Oregonians: Please see my post on the Oregon Cultural Trust

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334790

Just one day and a bit left to contribute for the 2011 tax year. Contribute online or by mail postmarked by Saturday, December 31.

Edited by nmoira

• 2 weeks later...

*HOMESCHOOL CO-OP* Trivium Cooperative Academy Open House Friday, January 20th, 2012

RSVP's needed for Children

(ages 6 and up welcomed with adult @ Open House)

RSVP's requested for Adults

A Unique Parent taught Home Education Opportunity promoting a Christian World View.

Our program is designed specifically for children ages 3-18.

During our Open House, Parents and their children will be able to observe/participate in a TCA Co-op Day.

The scope of the elementary program includes a Christian World View that encompasses History, Speech, Science, Art, Geography and a variety of Electives. Each subject will be approached through multi-sensory learning, where oral instruction will be combined with supplemental materials and hands-on activities such as labs, projects and games.

For 7th - 12 grades *Our co-op environment will enrich your student's studies, with the pursuit of a quality, Christ-centered education. Science, History, Writing, and electives will be offered at this level. For more information contact: Carrie carrieandglenn@gmail.com

Edited by SonshineLearner

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From Lane County here!

Absolutely GREAT free homeschool coop here in the Eugene and Springfield area called LaneCH.

Nicest, funniest bunch of ladies with good kids. People are "real" and encouraging. It's member driven. Gets together several times a week for all kinds of things and there are classes.

LaneCH http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LaneCH/

Edited by H0MEFree
add city

• 1 month later...

We're from Corvallis!!! :D

DH is working in CA though for the next year, so we are only in Corvallis about every other month to check up on our house. :( But we'll be home for good next September!

How does one find the Social Groups? I'm new to posting - spent several weeks just absorbing all the threads before I decided to post. SO much great info on here!!!!

We're currently living in San Jose, CA and thinking of moving to Portland metro area. We'd like to learn more about Christian homeschool support groups in the area (co-ops, get togethers, sports/activities, etc). Can you tell me any information? Websites, yahoo groups, anything? Much appreciated!

• 2 months later...

I see a lot about CC... We are interested in CC but live a little far from Salem, Dundee to be exact..... Though I did find a CC close by.... We have three little ones 9,7,5... We homeschooled the year before last in Calirfornia and the kids went to a Classical Christian School in Newberg, Oregon last year.

We need to connect with some families locally as the kids require a lot of socialization.... Park days 3 days week. Can anyone be of help??

Thanks

Alana

• 4 months later...
Guest eshreves

In case anyone is looking for Classical Christian school options in Portland, OR. We opened a new small Classical Christian School in Portland called Trinity Academy. (see www.trinityacademyportland.org) We serve grades 7-12 and we are an "offspring" of a larger body of schools called Trinity Schools. (see www.trinityschools.org). We welcome students from a variety of backgrounds who have a sense of wonder and are willing to work hard. Trinity is within walking distance from the Yellow line Max Light Rail system in a central North Portland location. Families looking for private school, Christian School, or Catholic middle or high school options in Portland would be welcomed to apply.

Eric Shreves

Chair of the Advisory Council

Trinity Academy

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...