Menu

Anyone use rosetta stone lesson plans?

I know that Hewitt and My Fathers World have lesson plans written for homeschoolers using rosetta stone for high school credit. I am hoping someone who has used these will tell me whether or not it was worth it. I have version 3 Chinese... they have a full year curriculum for scholastic credit, but it's hard to tell from what's written if it's high school level or not. The rainbow resource blurb says completing one level is worth a year of high school... do I need lesson plans, or is the plan given by rs enough? Please ease my confusion!

My oldest just used My Father's World lesson plans for RS. The plans were written by a high school Spanish teacher to be high school level. Time wise over the year, we did enough work to count for high school credit in terms of that carneige unit calculation and taking into account my daughter's quick learning style. It is definitely more than just "do the screen on RS". Good value on those plans. The appendix pages are awesome for enrichment activities. They schedule those activities in the plans. Yeah, this can be high school credit.

My oldest is doing Russian. MFW's plans can be used for any of the RS languages.

I liked that it helped us to move along in the program and to incorporate the audio companion CD with more than just listening. The plans encourage many varieties of ways to add "real life activities" to the week to kick it up a notch from just doing the computer activities. We ended up having to buy 2 children's movies, and 2 children's books in Russian with audio CD because our library didn't have any. So, MFW encourages some additions to RS in reading children's books in the language.

They don't schedule the workbooks/worksheets due to problems with the worksheets not matching the program among other reasons. I wanted a little bit of written work beyond what is done in the MFW plans with dictations and such, so I got a simple workbook at a bookstore.

The one heads up on MFW's plans that might matter to some people or not. For one activity they have a recommendation of a 4 week research project in the culture and languages. They recommend it being focused on Bible translation into minority languages spoken in areas where the student's learning language is a majority language. If that was a project a family didn't want to do, then you'd find a small tweak in topic for the research project.

Reminds me a lot of what I did in high school French class with immersion methods and a report, and cultural activities.

We ended up also needing to practice Russian with someone who knew the language. and there was a guy in our church who lived there and was willing to help our daughter once a week in conversation.

definitely liked the MFW lesson plans this year.

-crystal

• 5 months later...
Guest Mamaducky

Is there any site where we can view samples of the lesson plans? I hate to spend my money and find out that it's not what we are looking for. I do wish that there were better worksheets or crossword puzzles and such to reinforce learning. Can't ever just find the "perfect" curriculum can we? :001_smile: