Menu

Getting cigarette smell out of sofa?

Hi, I'm Chris and I just did a stupid thing--bought a sofa for ds' apt that reeks of ciggy smoke. I sniffed it when I bought it and thought it didn't smell that bad--well, it does.

I've febreezed it, and am letting it air a little (it's in the van but the doors are all open) b4 we take it inside. I'm thinking a good steam cleaning will get most of it out, but I remember someone saying it's very hard to remove cig smoke smell.

Any tips you KNOW work? Anyone know what the professionals use, or do they just give up?

It is really hard to get it out. It will probably even smell no matter what you do when it becomes hot or stuffy in the room. I would spritz it with a vinegar/water solution (test an area on the back first, of course, to be sure it won't ruin the fabric) and let that dry. Then I would douse it in baking soda and leave it sit for a while (at least a day), then vacuum it off and see what it smells like. At that point, I would think it should be ready to steam clean.

I just got cigarette stench out of some old doll clothes by soaking them in Kookaburra wool wash. It has tea tree oil in it and that seems to have removed the smell pretty well. Perhaps spraying the couch down with it, (Kookaburra) or with tea tree oil and water before steaming it might work? Of course test it in an inconspicuous area first...

I just got cigarette stench out of some old doll clothes by soaking them in Kookaburra wool wash. It has tea tree oil in it and that seems to have removed the smell pretty well. Perhaps spraying the couch down with it, (Kookaburra) or with tea tree oil and water before steaming it might work? Of course test it in an inconspicuous area first...

Tea Tree Oil works wonders on stinky feet! Maybe it'll be the ticket here, too--but will it leave a residue? Being oil, and all that? :confused:

I use vinegar water to remove most nasty smells (like when the kid threw up in the car). The odor will go as it dries. I use it in a Bissel LittleGreen wet vac.

We also had good luck with baking soda on the carpets in our new house. Prior owner was a smoker. Dump it on, let it rest a few days & vac.

Good Luck,

Susan