Menu

Hannah,

I wish we had gotten answers like this from the financial aid people that we spoke with. I went through our information and I know that dh filled everything out from our end 19 days before the wedding. It makes me sick to my stomach. I am not sure when ds filled out his portion, but knowing him, I am almost positive he had it on his list of things to complete prior to their honeymoon. I am tempted to not even call him b/c I think it will make him really upset.

It makes my blood boil. He called and asked them how to proceed b/c we wondered if he should wait until after he was married. They told him it did not matter b/c he was under 24 and would be considered dependent regardless.

:cursing: :banghead: Those are my opinions of the financial aid system.

:grouphug: I am so sorry. This has got to be unbelievably frustrating.

Is there a list anywhere of colleges that do have merit aid (in significant amounts)?

My husband attended the University of North Dakota for free as a "Presidential Scholar." This was a merit award based on his ACT and overall academic record. He applied for it, of course, but there are usually between 500 and 1000 of these scholarships every year. He also had to maintain a certain GPA to recieve the tuition waiver.

Is there a list anywhere of colleges that do have merit aid (in significant amounts)?

Here's a list I've used to look for a few. I'm not certain how much of the aid is merit aid and how much is need based though.

http://www.insidecollege.com/reno/The-Experts-Choice-Colleges-that-Go-the-Extra-Mile-to-Make-It-Financially-Possible-to-Attend/352/list.do

I don't know if there's a list or not. I know Wheaton (IL) is the one we crossed off my oldest son's list. Besides word of mouth, their own website states that they feel it is up to students and families to foot the bill - not merit aid. I believe they give out a few scholarships, but not many, and not for much. It wasn't worth our time and effort - esp since they didn't have his desired major as a major - just as a certificate program.

NOTE: There is a difference between merit aid and need-based aid. Some schools that don't give out any or much merit aid do come through with some need based aid. Wheaton, I've heard, is in that category. Need-based aid is not guaranteed every year - it depends on each year's Fafsa (and sometimes, more). While one year might be inexpensive, if the economy changes and income goes up - suddenly the college bill will too.

For other schools, I lurk, and once in a great while post, on College Confidential. The Ivies are biggies for not giving out much, if any, merit aid, but there are others as well - mainly top of the top schools where they just don't have to as people will attend them anyway.

Schools slightly and far below those often do give merit aid in order to attract top students. It works. ;) We prefer to go for slightly below in order to get the best school we can afford. A good school in my kiddo's major that "fits" them and has decent merit aid is our goal. Finding it is what takes time.

{gently}

It isn't the job of a university (or anyone else, really) to offer money to someone to pursue higher education.

Regardless of whether that money is in the form of grants, loans, scholarships, gifts or anything else - no one is under any obligation to give someone funding for college or graduate school.

Now, does it say something about US society that it places such little value on higher education that costs have been 'allowed' to spiral so completely out of control? Of course it does. This very subject has been discussed ad nauseam on other threads. But that is a separate subject from a university or college - any institution - having an obligation to offer funding to those who cannot pay what the market can bear.

Yes, the market for higher education currently sucks. It will eventually readjust downwards. That is what happens in capitalism: people refuse to pay for a product, and the price for said product drops. There is nothing in the social contract that dictates one must immediately pursue a university education following high school.

It is unfortunate that US society appears to be splitting into the "haves" and the "have nots" in regards to higher education; but the economist in me says that this is only because the market has not been allowed to take its natural course (and of course, the whole "everyone should go to college, whether or not they are prepared, want to be there, or even should be there thing).

JMO

a

{gently}

It isn't the job of a university (or anyone else, really) to offer money to someone to pursue higher education.

Regardless of whether that money is in the form of grants, loans, scholarships, gifts or anything else - no one is under any obligation to give someone funding for college or graduate school.

JMO

a

I agree 100%, but like any other informed consumer, it is my choice to pay more for a brand name or not to if I think there are equally as good less expensive options.

IMO (and that of many others here and on College Confidential) there are several equally as good schools out there who are willing to offer merit aid to attract top students. Those are the schools we are shopping for. I also fully expect to continue to support the scholarship funds of these schools long after my boys graduate should we end up as pleased with the schools as I expect to be.

I don't buy brand name in clothing, accessories, or other such things at full price either (I might buy them on a good sale or second hand). I look for items that will fit, get the job done, and in my price range. It's no different with college choices IMO.

So, yes, I will eliminate a college that doesn't give merit aid while fully respecting their right not to offer it. If they want wealthy or need based only, that is their right.

Personally, with the reasonable supply of need based aid that is out there for top students at a variety of colleges I think there is LESS difference between the haves and the have nots with respect to a college education than there was in the past.

I agree that there are more students attempting college that really shouldn't be, but I don't care to see their access denied if that's what they want to do. When I donate future scholarship money, I'd rather see it go toward those who are more academically inclined though - not to assist someone who maybe shouldn't be there in the first place (academically).

I am in agreement with Asta that a college or university gets to determine what type of students they want to attract and one way they do this is by deciding how to divide their aid or discount money between merit aid and financial aid. On the other hand, those of us who are uninterested in paying full price also get to decide which institutions we will be funding whether through tuition payments or donations.

I also agree with Asta about how government intrusion into the situation is a primary reason that college costs are rising and having been rising for the last 20 years higher than inflation and by a lot. Raising loan limits for subsidized loans led to huge increases in tuition.