Menu

John Hopkins CTY Awards Ceremony

If I'm reading the results correctly, DD qualified for "distance education" in humanities and DS qualified for "CTY and distance education" in math (despite the testing center failing to give him scratch paper no less:glare:). DS also qualified for their awards ceremony. I have two questions.

Have you utilized their online classes? Which, if any, are worth it?

Have you attended the awards ceremony? What's it like? Was it worth it?

We haven't used the CTY online classes. I've heard that they can be quite hit or miss, depending on the class and even on the tutor you get. I've heard good things about the Crafting the Essay class and bad things about the math classes (they just use Thinkwell, which you can get for much less money on your own).

We didn't go to the ceremony, as we live on the opposite coast. Even if it had been nearby, though, we probably wouldn't have participated.

The Boy did, however, spend two wonderful summers at CTY camp. He did the younger students' camp, known fondly as Baby CTY, and just loved it.

Have you utilized their online classes? Which, if any, are worth it?
This is DD the Elder's first year, but it seems that much of what is available can be purchased elsewhere for far less (e.g. Thinkwell, PLATO Science).

Have you attended the awards ceremony? What's it like? Was it worth it?
:lurk5:

We did this for the first time this year. My dd11 scored high enough in both Verbal and Math to take classes and can go to the award ceremony.

My ds9 scored high enough for the Verbal classes.

We haven't done any classes. They are too expensive for what you get. I don't know if we will go to the award ceremony. It will depend on when and where it is.

Both my kids qualified in both Verbal and Math, and we attended the award ceremony just out of curiosity. They had a speaker talk about the CTY programs, and then handed out certificates to the kids. After walking up to receive his certificate, my son commented that it "felt strange to win an award just for completing a test." :-) We haven't taken any of their classes or camps, because they are very expensive. We were hoping that they would offer merit scholarships because our kids scored so high on the SCAT, but no such luck.

Just saw this -

Our eldest dd's both qualified for awards, but we don't live in a state that has a ceremony :(. DD12 missed the grand ceremony by 1 point...oh well!

Both have done a writing class...Process of Writing for the younger last spring, Crafting the Essay for the elder this past fall.

The instructor for Process was fantastic. The instructor for Crafting was adequate.

I agree their classes are crazy expensive! We won't be doing any more - I'll find a cheaper option for online writing instruction in the future.

My 2nd child qualified for the ceremony last year(2nd grade). It was short. There was a brief intro and then the handing out of all the certificates with cookies and punch after. We went to celebrate my son's achievement and would go again if the opportunity presented itself. I found it interesting when the speaker mentioned that the founder of google was an award recipient at one of these ceremonies in years past.

We have not taken any of the classes yet, except EPGY math through stanford. I believe we may take their AP courses in the future. HtH:001_smile:

• 3 months later...
Guest dsinghal

Just wondering if you have since discovered any cheaper online writing options?

Thanks

Just saw this -

Our eldest dd's both qualified for awards, but we don't live in a state that has a ceremony :(. DD12 missed the grand ceremony by 1 point...oh well!

Both have done a writing class...Process of Writing for the younger last spring, Crafting the Essay for the elder this past fall.

The instructor for Process was fantastic. The instructor for Crafting was adequate.

I agree their classes are crazy expensive! We won't be doing any more - I'll find a cheaper option for online writing instruction in the future.