Menu

Harvey's Grammar

blueberry

Harvey's grammar looks good but I was wondering if you could tell me what the difference is between the Revised Grammar and the Elementary Grammar and Composition? The Revised English Grammar covers orthography, syntax, and prosody, according to an Amazon review. It sounds a little unusual and I'm not sure whether or not it covers standard grammar, since the descriptions are kind of unusual? I can't find too much info on the Elementary Grammar and Comp. Can someone tell me about these books? Thanks!!

Harvey's Grammar books were originally written in the late 1800s. The Mott Media reprints have been slightly updated with punctuation usage, a few rules of grammar, and some usage, as well as some example sentences to be more relevant (about a car rather than a horse and buggy.) The Elementary Grammar is shorter and meant to precede the Revised Grammar book. In the preface of the Elementary book, it says that "students may begin to use it in the middle grades of elementary school-from about grades four to six." The preface in the Revised edition says "It is a complete grammar, and thus appropriate for advanced study, beginning in about seventh grade, and for a lifetime of reference use after that."

I'm not sure of what sort of sample pages are available online, but, if you have any specific questions or can't find the table of contents online, I can provide that if you'd like.

HTH,

Amanda

I think if someone worked through both books they'd have a real solid grasp on grammar.

pros - very thorough, diagramming is included, non-consumable, inexpensive

cons - a bit dry, no color or pictures if you're looking for that sort of thing, I'm not so sure that a fourth grader that has had no prior grammar experience would do so well with it.

I just found this page link which has the table of contents, sample pages, and scope and sequence for the Elementary grammar, and links to the pages for the Revised grammar as well as the answer keys for both.

Edited by materursa
typo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
One of the older editions of Harvey's is available on Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=H8AAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=harvey+grammar&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

I found a typed out version from this mom:

http://www.box.net/shared/zt1kphlkd9

HTH!

Thanks for this! I printed it out and started working through it. Does anyone know if an answer key is available for this?

I checked and saw that the Mott Media version is not quite the same, so their answer key will not be suitable.

Any idea if Classical Writing's answer key will match this typed version?

TiA.

• 7 months later...

I bought the answer key for Harvey's Grammar Workbook 1 from ClassicalWriting.com. It does not match the typed-out version linked above. However, since most of the sections are similar, it was easy for me to understand how to diagram the sentences in the version of HG that I had.

If anyone is considering using that typed-out version, I'd suggest instead to buy Workbook 1 and its answer key from ClassicalWriting.com. These are available as PDF files.