Menu

Which language/grammar program to move to?

seewah

My nine year old son is currently doing A Beka Language B this year (which is fifth grade level according to the A Beka site). He is bored to tears and I dread assigning him page after page in his workbook. Do you all have any recommendations for me?

I have looked at FLL but I am thinking that would be better suited for my almost 6 year old.

He is quite accelerated as far as verbal and comprehension skills. His spelling abilities are also amazing as he just turned nine and tested at 10th grade, 7th month in a Spelling Power placement test this week.

I guess I'm just kind of clueless as to where to go next for him. I do own the BraveWriter manual. Maybe I should delve into that more and then order The Arrow for him each month and do that.

Thanks for any help you can offer! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another recommendation for R&S here as well. I also have a 9yo who has tested into high school with spelling and reading (though not with comprehension), and he LOVES R&S.

We have been using the review lessons (which occur about every 5 lessons) as pretests, only going back and covering the specific lessons where he needs a boost. I have him do the worksheets instead of the bookwork, when there is a worksheet, and we do the oral reviews that are in the TM as well.

We LOVED doing R&S this way, and he is SO anxious to begin the next book. You're welcome to PM me if you want to chat about how we've used it. This past year was our first experience with it (and by sheer accident), so it took us a while and some experimenting to find out how it would work for us, but we did and it's GRAND. :)

I really like Brave Writer. It is definitely a take what you want and leave the rest program. We do copy work, Free Writes, monthly writing projects, movie afternoons (nights), Tuesday Teatime, and Shakespeare. I looked seriously at the Arrow but my dd was not interested in the reading list. Consequently I pull from all over for reading selections. We are also using Galore Park Junior English as an additional reading list guide, writing topic generator, and basic grammar.