Menu

Starting in the middle with 5th

I am very confused about how to do this at this stage. We won't be ready to start it until a bit later this year. But even after reading WTM, I still find it complicated and overwhelming. I need WTM simplified. My plan is to start with 5th grade in August after the new baby and our move. What is a good way to ease into TWTM way at this stage?

Below is what we are working on for now:

History/Geog./Art&Crafts:

SOTW Vol.2 with AG

Math:

Saxon 5/4

Science:

RS4K Level 1 , all 3 books

Vocab.:

Wordly Wise Books 3 and 4 by EPS

Spelling:

Personal dictionary of words

Writing/Grammar:

Writing Skills Books A and 1 by EPS

Outlining by Remedia Publications

Reading:

Assigned list with book report summaries on each book read

I would just start with what the WTM says knowing that I would add, drop or change things slightly as we go along. The WTM does look overwhelming at first but once you get started is really pretty simple. It is very easy to change things to fit your families' needs.

I hope this helps.

Susie

This is exactly where we started this past fall with my oldest ds. I just got together the things I wanted to use this year and started in on the first day of school. I had talked to the boys about what school would be like this year a little bit as I was gathering books and things but other than that we just started. This was a different approach for them because they were used to Abeka but after the first week they both said that this year was going to be much better. So, my advise is to just get started with maybe a brief introduction to what the new year will bring. You can always adjust the things that just aren't going to work for your family.

I am confused by the history and science suggestions. How to do it, what to write, the whole notebook concept, outlining....

What I find overwhelming is the sheer number of subjects that need/should be covered. Is there a way to combine/simplify subjects?

I don't have my copy of the book on hand anymore to reference so I am going from my memory. I am planning on buying a new copy as soon as...

My suggestions:

Start out with the basics - math and LA. Since you are using RS4K, then follow that instead of trying to do science note booking right now. For history and science, try to think of them as the extras or the spices. Start out with doing them every other day instead of trying to do both daily. You can always add to it once you have it going strong.

What were you using before? Do you have specific worries?

We have done Calvert 1-2, WTM suggestions for a repeat of 2nd, finished in 87 days the entire years worth of work, bits and pieces the first half of last year (GWG, TouchMath,LOTS of reading), ordered Calvert 3rd, made it through Lesson/Test 100,(LOTS more reading and book summaries for each book) then severe morning sickness caught me unprepared, and we stopped for several other reasons, as well, looked into Oak Meadow 4th (do I really want to build a landscape model, a mini Indian village and a Setter's fort, among others?) and 5th (Write a full scale essay in week 4 without any training?!)

So now I am back to dithering around.

My worries stem mostly from my concern of their lack of maturity and readiness for 5th, though they are the 'correct' age for Logic stage work. Having looked over some of the choices for this stage, I am concerned. And a bit of guilt at not having them ready for it 'on time'. I just need to remember that no one is looking at what grade we are in.

Thank you for putting it into perspective of meat and spices. That helped me see clearer. I am sure everyone shares the concern that their child will miss something if they aren't covering every subject in-depth and by the WTM book.

Wow - I say you are getting to be very experienced with curricula. What has really started working for us around here is basics first and then adding in the extras in the afternoon. I sneak read-alouds in at lunch and breakfast. Try doing the history 2-3 days a week. Read the SOTW one day and narrate. Read the Kingfisher if you are planning to and outline on another day. Pick out some recommended books from the lib for independent reads. It should be plenty.

Your plans look great.

I am confused by the history and science suggestions. How to do it, what to write, the whole notebook concept, outlining....

What I find overwhelming is the sheer number of subjects that need/should be covered. Is there a way to combine/simplify subjects?

In a nutshell, make sure the kids are working on their basic skills like reading, writing, spelling, grammar, math - at whatever level they personally need to work on.

Then you can branch out from there into science and history. The notebook is just a three ring binder in which the kids file written narrations/outlines of their reading/experiments in these subjects, plus any pictures, drawings, colouring pages that they *might* do. It's a record, in writing, of the stuff they are learning/analyzing in science and history. You don't have to do every single activity outlined in WTM - just try for one narration/outline per week in science and history. Add in the fun suggestions when you want to.

The thing that changes between grammar stage and logic stage is the type of writing they will be doing. But if your kids aren't ready to do outlining or longer narrations, that's OK. Just keep working on skills with their writing program (wherever they need to be), and *use* the skills to write about science, history, and literature.

Also, as for being confused about "what to write," I highly recommend the Writing Without Fear CD by Susan Wise Bauer - it clarifies MUCH of what is in WTM about writing, as well as simplifies some of the WTM guidelines - to me, the CD made the whole writing arena much easier to understand.

And once you get comfortable with these things, you can add in (if you want to) Latin or other foreign language, logic materials, art, music, whatever!!! I'd say the science and history are the spices, and other languages plus the arts are the lavish table setting for a special occasion, if that helps any. ;)

hth