Menu

My daughter's epilepsy is spiking again

Hi All!

Back around Feb. 9 I posted in this forum. I didn't know it when I posted, but my dd was 3 days into seizure-free activity that has continued to today, around day 55-57. In addition to Lamictal she's been on since July '07, the neuro rx'd Zarontin on Jan 3. It took about a month, but Feb. 5 was her last breakthrough seizure. At the same time she started the Z med, the dr said to wean her off of the Lam. Her last pill of Lam. was scheduled this Friday pm. All this time she has been so great during this time with good behavior, focused, determined to complete a task, etc. A JOY TO BE AROUND, BUT~

Something happened this past Friday. Eventhough she has not had "breakthroughs" or the physical manifestation of seizures, she has obviously spiked (that's when the brain goes in overdrive, but does not break into a seizure). I know this BECAUSE it's like she turned into a monster. How sad to say! And, how do I say it in a post w/o sounding heartless?? She is the opposite of the "normal" way she has been. She's now full of anger, in defiance, procrastinating, NOT focused, etc, etc.

Needless to say, the Lam is not at a high dose in her bloodstream anymore and her body might be responding to the lack of it.

We go to the neuro. April 7 and we'll get more info. then...whew.

I just had to vent. Thanks for listening. Sheryl

Can you call the neurologist?

Is there a reason she can't be on Zarontin and Lamictal? My 12dd take 325mg of Lamictal in the morning and 300mg of Lamictal at night. She also takes 600mg of Tegretol XR am, 400mg in the afternoon and 800mg before bed. This is a LOT of meds but is keeping her almost seizure free.

We do the blood tests to make sure the Lamictal is at a therapeutic level.

you a giant hug :grouphug: I know all to well how a sweetie can turn into a monster when they are having breakthroughs with seizures. I suspect the same for my dd as her mood has been awful the last few days and her clumsiness is highly exagerated. We just went to neuro last week and she was doing great, this week, not so great