Menu

Literature for 9th Grade

We are studying American History for 9th Grade. I have chosen several pieces of literature to read with our history, including selections from the Great Books list. Some books we are just going to read and others we are going to use a lit guide of some sort - probably Progeny Press.

So, novels are covered, but that leaves short stories. Is there a book of short stories that has comprehension questions? If we use Classical Writing Aesop and Homer for Older Beginners do I need a short stories book?

It won't have comprehension questions, and I believe any analysis would be analyzing the writing, not the themes, etc.

I don't think you have to do short stories, but if you want to, have you thought about Lightning Literature? They cover novels, poetry, non-fiction, and short stories in the curriculum, and they have two different units for American Literatrue.

Just finishing up American History/American Lit this year here. We made our own literature, too, using Progeny Press and other guides. For some of the short stories we did, I was able to find a number of online guides. If you want something more organized, you might want to look at Learning Language Arts Through Literature: Gold: American Literature, which covers 3 novellas (The Red Badge of Courage, The Old Man and the Sea, and The Pearl); 10 short stories; and 10 poets. LLATL uses an inexpensive anthology for the short stories. LLATL uses a different anthology for the poems; however, you can usually do a google search and find the full text of most of the poems -- and quite a few short stories, too!

We did use parts of LLATL, but I wasn't wild about quite a few of the short stories (I think we only did 2-3 of the short stories covered by LLATL), so I ended up choosing our own. BTW, you can see the table of contents and several sample pages of LLATL at http://www.christianbook.com

Here is the list of short stories we covered this year in our American Lit. Many of the short stories were available to read on line (google search with the title and the words "full text".) We used Sparknotes, Cliffsnotes, or google searched for background info or for study guide material. Some we just read and enjoyed without analysis. I listed them in chronological order of having been written, and I have grouped them together according to if we read them in the same week and compared/contrasted them.

BEST of luck and enjoy your American lit! Warmly, Lori D.

- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Irving)

- Rip Van Winkle (Irving)

- Fall of the House of Usher (Poe)

- The Tell Tale Heart (Poe)

- The Man Without a Country (Hale)

- Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (Bierce)

- The Luck of Roaring Camp (Harte)

- Bride Comes to Yellow Sky (Crane)

- Gift of the Magi (Henry)

- The Ransom of Red Chief (Henry)

- The Last Leaf (Henry)

- A Harlem Tragedy (Henry)

- The Most Dangerous Game (Connell)

- Thank You, Ma'am (Hughes)

- The Catbird Seat (Thurber)

- A Good Man is Hard to Find (O'Connor)

- Everything That Rises Must Converge (O'Connor)

- Revelation (O'Connor)

- There Will Come Soft Rains (Bradbury)

- The Lottery (Jackson)

- The Ones Who Walked Away From Omelas (LeGuin)

Edited by Lori D.