Menu

BJU High School Literature Opinions?

Although not my first choice for tenth grade literature, we will be using this next year. I received my shipment this week of the BJU Grade 10 DVD kit and I have been looking over the material.

Elements of Literature contains short works of various authors and teaches imaginative comparison, sound and syntax, thought and theme, symbolism, irony, and allusions. The longest selection in the book is The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.

My daughter is not a strong reader so the short passages work well for her. As a teacher, my strengths are in science and math, so I appreciate the DVD instruction for this subject.

HTH!

I've been using the BJU Literature on DVD for 2 years and it has been a definite blessing to my ds. He is not a strong reader (he actually has severe hearing loss so will always struggle with sounds) but the DVD instruction has been wonderful. We've used them a grade behind - so he used the 8th in 9th grade and has worked through the 9th grade level this year for 10th. He has learned so much and now has begun using the skills learned to discern other readings which is wonderful. He especially loved the last unit which was Shakespeare's Cyrano - it was acted out so he could the play as well as read it. I never understood Shakespeare in school but wow! for a kid who hates reading, he really got into it. I'm actually struggling with skipping the 10th grade level and doing 11th because it is American Literature and he's working on American History - have to see on that one. At any rate, we've been very pleased. I guess there are a few theories on literature - studying a few complete works or exposure to a lot of different literature and for this child, exposure to many was a better fit; at least when you stumbled upon something you didn't quite care for the lesson was over quicker than being stuck in a long, long, long that didn't hold your interest.