Menu

:Honestly, I'm not worried about the areas where MM is behind because I know that it eventually catches up and in more depth. I'm more worried about the areas that are completely left out.

If you're referring to probability and statistics, that's covered in MM 6B, along with integers (introduced in 5th, covered in more depth in 6th) and more advanced concepts in geometry. MM 6B should be out by the end of the summer. Any other subtopics that aren't covered in MM6 will be covered by whatever Pre-Algebra program you use, and then probably reviewed again in Algebra 1.

Jackie

It looks like it's mostly patterns, statistics, geometry and may be light on reasoning.

The thoroughness of the Math Mammoth website makes it easier to critique. I wish I could see Singapore math more in depth. I'd like to see more sample pages, more of the HIG, more of the scope and sequence, the number of pages average per week, etc. Admittedly, I haven't searched too hard so this is probably what I should look at next. :)

This morning, I was all for MM and by this afternoon, I was about to hit the buy on Singapore so yea...still undecided. :D :D

It looks like it's mostly patterns, statistics, geometry and may be light on reasoning.

We've been using Ray's Arithmetic and MEP as a supplement.

I *think* I'm going to switch out Ray's Arithmetic for Math Mammoth. We already use MEP as a supplement which has a lot of patterns, statistics, and the logical reasoning pieces. And it is free. And my daughter loves it.

Because she loves it so much, I'm tempted to use MEP as my main plan and use Math Mammoth's Blue series to supplement (especially for $, time, measurement, etc.)

I'm still very much straddling the fence though.

Well, the statistics and advanced geometry are in 6B, MM is certainly not light on mathematical reasoning, and I'm not sure what they mean by "patterns."

Unless a parent thinks their child may go into the CA public school system sometime before 8th grade, I'm not sure what difference it would make. My DS is doing Pre-Algebra after finishing MM 5B, and he'll do Foerster's Alg I after that, so I don't think he's lacking anything. Parents have been using the original edition of Singapore, as well as the US Edition, for years, and it hasn't seemed to handicap them!

Jackie

My DS is doing Pre-Algebra after finishing MM 5B, and he'll do Foerster's Alg I after that, so I don't think he's lacking anything.

I really love hearing how the older students are doing with various programs. What I really want to try to avoid is curriculum hopping. I want to make the best possible choice now and not have to switch somewhere along the way.

The Shiller Math that we have now is all very verbal and conceptual and learning with manipulatives. I want to find something that is a bit more grounded but conceptual at the same time. I considered Rightstart but crossed that off my list as I think it's probably too much like Shiller.

The only reason the standards stick out for me is because as a layperson, I'm not sure what my child should learn at each stage. I have to rely on outside information and of course it's all conflicted which makes it that much harder.

Ultimately, I believe that either curriculum is very good and whatever we choose, he will do well with math as long as we are consistent.

:lol: Good question!

Thank you all for helping me cross that bridge. I really love the look of Math Mammoth and there are a lot of great reasons why aligning with the CA standards is not important. Honestly, I'm not worried about the areas where MM is behind because I know that it eventually catches up and in more depth. I'm more worried about the areas that are completely left out.

I spent some time looking ahead in Shiller (which we'll be using as well) and it looks like by combining the two, we'll have everything covered.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies!

What is it that's left out completely? It seems to me that it covers everything except maybe calendar/days of week...but who needs a program to teach that?! LOL It might even be in there.

Granted, I only have levels 1 and 3...so maybe I'm not seeing what's missing.

ETA: I totally did not see this whole page of replies when I posted this. oops!

Edited by hmschooling

Well, the statistics and advanced geometry are in 6B, MM is certainly not light on mathematical reasoning, and I'm not sure what they mean by "patterns."

Unless a parent thinks their child may go into the CA public school system sometime before 8th grade, I'm not sure what difference it would make. My DS is doing Pre-Algebra after finishing MM 5B, and he'll do Foerster's Alg I after that, so I don't think he's lacking anything. Parents have been using the original edition of Singapore, as well as the US Edition, for years, and it hasn't seemed to handicap them!

Jackie

Jackie, you didn't do 6A because it wasn't done when your son was done with 5B, right? So what are you using for prealg? If I don't have a child there yet and will be able to use MM all the way through 6B, do you think they will then be ready for Alg 1? And if so, is Foerster's a good next step for Alg? I also want to do LoF but not sure how to integrate it with MM. You and I spoke about a MM and CLE combo but I've since dropped CLE entirely in favor of MM. But would like to add LoF just not sure when...? We are going to start MM 4 this fall. Your guidance is appreciated!:D

You and I spoke about a MM and CLE combo but I've since dropped CLE entirely in favor of MM.

Amy, I am wondering if you could give me a little guidance.:001_smile: I am using a CLE/MM combo for my 1st grade dd. I am using CLE because of its spiral approach and adding MM for its conceptual approach. But the more I use MM, the more I prefer MM. I think that MM has enough review that we will not miss CLE. Do you agree? Anything else you could share about your decision to drop CLE for just MM?

:bigear: I'd love to hear too, Amy!

Tracy-we do CLE/MM too, and for my older dd, she would be lost w/out the spiral review of CLE. Mastery doesn't work for her. But the combo is perfect-MM is remediating her conceptually, and CLE keeps all the topics fresh in her mind.

Jackie, you didn't do 6A because it wasn't done when your son was done with 5B, right? So what are you using for prealg? If I don't have a child there yet and will be able to use MM all the way through 6B, do you think they will then be ready for Alg 1? And if so, is Foerster's a good next step for Alg? I also want to do LoF but not sure how to integrate it with MM.

When DS finished MM5B, 6A wasn't out yet so I've been searching in vain for a Pre-Algebra program to follow up MM. We tried TT PreAlgebra, but he'd already covered so much of it (and in greater depth IMO) in MM, and the spiral review made him insane, so we dropped TT. I tried Chalkdust, but the lectures are just too long and DS found them boring, plus I don't like the format of the Aufmann text. I looked at Lial's BCM, but the format was just waaay too busy for an ADD/dyslexic kid.

We've also been playing around with a beta version of KB Prealgebra and DS likes the format, but so far I've found the explanations lacking in depth compared to MM ~ and in some cases just plain lacking (e.g. when KB teaches division by decimals, they just teach the trick of moving the decimal in the divisor ~ no explanation of what this really means or why it works). So then I ordered MUS PreAlgebra, since everyone says MUS is a really conceptually strong program. I've been looking through it and watching some of the videos for the last few days, and....the jury's still out. We would definitely skip the first 5 lessons, because we've already covered integers in far more depth in MM5, and I need to really go through the rest of it and see if there's enough new material to make it worth while. I found his explanations of integers (the first 4 lessons) too brief and purely procedural, which surprised me considering MUS's reputation, so I'm hoping there's a lot more meat farther into the program. Maybe I should've bought MUS Algebra and used that as Pre-Algebra instead?

Right now, I'm just using MM6A and teaching it myself in order to take the concepts a step further into Algebra. DS is also working his way through LoF PreAlgebra & Biology, but that will only last a few more weeks. I feel like he's not ready for Foerster's yet (he's just finishing 6th grade and Foerster's is pretty rigorous), so I will probably keep teaching him myself over the summer, and add in MM6B as soon as it comes out. Then a little later in the fall, I'll start Foerster's and see how it goes. DS is *not* an inherently mathy kid, and 2 years ago he was barely doing 3rd grade math and hadn't even started division, so if 2.5 years of MM can take him from barely understanding 3rd grade math to doing Foerster's Algebra I, I'll be very pleased indeed. :)

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

The thoroughness of the Math Mammoth website makes it easier to critique. I wish I could see Singapore math more in depth. I'd like to see more sample pages, more of the HIG, more of the scope and sequence, the number of pages average per week, etc. Admittedly, I haven't searched too hard so this is probably what I should look at next. :)

This morning, I was all for MM and by this afternoon, I was about to hit the buy on Singapore so yea...still undecided. :D :D

I do know that Carrie, the author of HOD, schedules Singapore Math in her guides along with hands-on lessons and she says that a lot of people tend to do too many pages a day because the pages don't look like much. She warns-- don't do that!

Math Mammoth is going much better for us now that I only require 2 pages per day. That is enough to get it done on schedule.

Amy, I am wondering if you could give me a little guidance.:001_smile: I am using a CLE/MM combo for my 1st grade dd. I am using CLE because of its spiral approach and adding MM for its conceptual approach. But the more I use MM, the more I prefer MM. I think that MM has enough review that we will not miss CLE. Do you agree? Anything else you could share about your decision to drop CLE for just MM?

:bigear: I'd love to hear too, Amy!

Tracy-we do CLE/MM too, and for my older dd, she would be lost w/out the spiral review of CLE. Mastery doesn't work for her. But the combo is perfect-MM is remediating her conceptually, and CLE keeps all the topics fresh in her mind.

Honestly we are in a unique situation. I pulled dd from 3rd grade and put her in Singapore 2A which we failed miserably at. She had no clue coming out of Everyday Math! So then we switched to CLE and had a great year doing the 300 level but I began to get a few concerns that she was not learning any "mental math". She didn't seem to have any strategies for solving problems that weren't laid out exactly as CLE does it. It was like she was just filling in the blanks. She could not do 2 digit addition in her head. She could not tell me how old someone is if they were born in 1980 without writing it down. Just no mental skills, KWIM? So I emailed some with Jackie who helped me a lot, and I read everything I could on the MM site. I thought I'd give it a go, and it's working beautifully. DD took the placement test for 3 and passed...barely...so we are working through some of 3 to teach concepts that she knows but in a different way, and we skip what she really has down pat. We'll be in 4 by mid-summer for sure and will keep on the same pace.

We do about an hour of math a day, but that's because right now she's enjoying it. If she didn't I'd back off. Now, with an hour a day she could keep doing CLE in conjuction with MM but for now I just don't see the point. I may have had her pegged as a kid who needed spiral but really she just needed more mastery and then occasional review. The constant spiral might have been muddying things for her. But I can totally see how CLE (a very strong program IMO) would work wonders for kids!

Right now she's having fun with MM. BUT I will admit that my biggest downfall with CLE was handing her the workbooks and saying "go do it". I had some circumstances in my life last year with elderly care where I needed her to be more independent and I thought I could let the CLE workbook "teach" the math. Never again will I make that mistake. Part of the joy of MM is us doing it together, or her grabbing the binder and saying "let me do this part myself!". I do assign parts of it to be independent, but right now I'm having fun watching the light bulbs go off and she is enjoying showing off for me. We're kind of reconnecting a little. It's very nice. Now...grammar is another issue!;)

When DS finished MM5B, 6A wasn't out yet so I've been searching in vain for a Pre-Algebra program to follow up MM. We tried TT PreAlgebra, but he'd already covered so much of it (and in greater depth IMO) in MM, and the spiral review made him insane, so we dropped TT. I tried Chalkdust, but the lectures are just too long and DS found them boring, plus I don't like the format of the Aufmann text. I looked at Lial's BCM, but the format was just waaay too busy for an ADD/dyslexic kid.

We've also been playing around with a beta version of KB Prealgebra and DS likes the format, but so far I've found the explanations lacking in depth compared to MM ~ and in some cases just plain lacking (e.g. when KB teaches division by decimals, they just teach the trick of moving the decimal in the divisor ~ no explanation of what this really means or why it works). So then I ordered MUS PreAlgebra, since everyone says MUS is a really conceptually strong program. I've been looking through it and watching some of the videos for the last few days, and....the jury's still out. We would definitely skip the first 5 lessons, because we've already covered integers in far more depth in MM5, and I need to really go through the rest of it and see if there's enough new material to make it worth while. I found his explanations of integers (the first 4 lessons) too brief and purely procedural, which surprised me considering MUS's reputation, so I'm hoping there's a lot more meat farther into the program. Maybe I should've bought MUS Algebra and used that as Pre-Algebra instead?

Right now, I'm just using MM6A and teaching it myself in order to take the concepts a step further into Algebra. DS is also working his way through LoF PreAlgebra & Biology, but that will only last a few more weeks. I feel like he's not ready for Foerster's yet (he's just finishing 6th grade and Foerster's is pretty rigorous), so I will probably keep teaching him myself over the summer, and add in MM6B as soon as it comes out. Then a little later in the fall, I'll start Foerster's and see how it goes. DS is *not* an inherently mathy kid, and 2 years ago he was barely doing 3rd grade math and hadn't even started division, so if 2.5 years of MM can take him from barely understanding 3rd grade math to doing Foerster's Algebra I, I'll be very pleased indeed. :)

Jackie

No joke! I'd take that any day!!! Thanks for explaining the path there. If we stay on track, my dd will finish 6B by the end of 7th. I bought LoF Fractions, and Decimals and Percents, with the intent of mixing that in. By the time we get to that point you will have the whole prealg/algebra path figured out and can tell me what to do!:tongue_smilie::D

I do assign parts of it to be independent, but right now I'm having fun watching the light bulbs go off and she is enjoying showing off for me. We're kind of reconnecting a little. It's very nice. Now...grammar is another issue!;)

:D

No joke! I'd take that any day!!! Thanks for explaining the path there. If we stay on track, my dd will finish 6B by the end of 7th. I bought LoF Fractions, and Decimals and Percents, with the intent of mixing that in. By the time we get to that point you will have the whole prealg/algebra path figured out and can tell me what to do!:tongue_smilie::D

:lol: I'll be watching to see which path she takes as well. How interesting. I'm a little nervous; I just bought CD- I hope it works for us. We will continue with LOF, with a little of MM and whatever else strikes our fancy. Hopefully something will work. :tongue_smilie:

Amy, thank you for the explanation. We are having a similar experience here with MM. I think CLE is a very good program but I feel like MM is better. We have been doing MM one day a week. DD loves money so I use money to teach the lesson, then we play with money for a little bit since she balks at being taught for some reason (miss independent:tongue_smilie:), then I give her the worksheet. I help her get started and she almost always shoos me away because she is so proud to show me that she can do it by herself. She and I both look forward to Tuesdays (our MM day) and I am just wondering if there is any point to continuing CLE. I don't know if she needs spiral as much as she needs review. It seems so easy to build review into MM.

Jackie, your experience with kids that weren't "mathy" but were made "mathy" through MM is awesome. It really speaks volumes about the program (and the mama:001_smile:). It has given me hope with my very young dd who I was starting to label "non-mathy" at the age of 6. She is proving to be very "mathy". Lesson learned!

I like them both. Math Mammoth has been great for my oldest.I pulled him out of ps in January. I went with BJU Math 3 ,3rd edition. We started from the beginning of the book. I really liked BJU math, but after chapter 5, ds just wasn't feeling it. Then I puchased CLE math 3. I liked it, but again ds wasn't feeling it. So it was the end of March and we really needed to get something going. So I purchased Teaching Textbooks 4. Ds likes it. He does 2 lessons per day and we should be finished by the end of July. However, TT doesn't really teach math to me. I purchased it b/c I knew he at least would've completed a math program for his 3rd grade year. Enter in Math Mammoth. I purchased several different topics from the Blue Series. This will cement his math education for 3rd grade. I love it for this child. He likes it as well. We will not be using TT next year for 4th grade. I'm still thinking about what we will use from here on out.

Now for my younger ds. He is definitely in tune with math. He is flying through Saxon Math 1. I will be using Singapore Math for him starting this summer with the Standards Edition 1A as a supplement to Saxon.

I think both programs are great. IMHO, Singapore is too hard for an older child with no exposure to conceptual math or just coming from public school and older than 8.5 years old. Math Mammoth can definitley get an older child up to speed. I really wanted to use SM with my older ds, but it was awkard fit for him jumping in w/out that foundation and I didn't want to move several levels back. For this ds, Math Mammoth fit the bill. I was able to purchase several different topics and he is beginning to understand math.:)

Also, does anybody know if the HSBC will be doing another group buy soon?

Completely off-topic, but when I read this I wondered, "Why would the Hong Kong-Shanghai Banking Corporation do a group buy of a math curriculum? Do they have a lot of homeschooling parents working for them??" :lol:

Tara

One of the things that is appealing to me about Singapore is the IP and CWP supplements. Of people who have seen both, would you say that MM problems are at the same difficulty/depth as Singapore's IP and CWP?

I know I could supplement MM with CWP, but part of what appeals to me about MM is the price--if I have to start supplementing with Singapore, I almost feel like I ought to just get Singapore to begin with.

One of the things that is appealing to me about Singapore is the IP and CWP supplements. Of people who have seen both, would you say that MM problems are at the same difficulty/depth as Singapore's IP and CWP?

I know I could supplement MM with CWP, but part of what appeals to me about MM is the price--if I have to start supplementing with Singapore, I almost feel like I ought to just get Singapore to begin with.

I think the regular problem sets in MM are comparable to the regular problem sets in Singapore, plus there are some Puzzle Corner problems in MM that are more like CWP. If you feel that Singapore would not be enough challenge without the CWP, then you would probably want to add CWP to MM as well. But with the second option, you'd only have 2 books to buy & work with (MM + CWP) as opposed to 4 (Singapore HIG + text + workbook + CWP), so I would think that MM would still be cheaper and easier to use.

FWIW, I bought the CWP books and rarely used them with MM, because I didn't think they added that much in terms of difficulty. The CWP books aren't ALL challenging problems, they include review problems, practice problems, topical problems, worked examples, and CWP, so the majority of the problems are "regular strength."

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

I think both programs are great. IMHO, Singapore is too hard for an older child with no exposure to conceptual math or just coming from public school and older than 8.5 years old. Math Mammoth can definitley get an older child up to speed. I really wanted to use SM with my older ds, but it was awkard fit for him jumping in w/out that foundation and I didn't want to move several levels back. For this ds, Math Mammoth fit the bill. I was able to purchase several different topics and he is beginning to understand math.:)

:iagree:I think that's why my dd had such a struggle with Singapore. She didn't have that foundation of conceptual math. MM has easier explanations and more step-by-step approach and is helping her tremendously. I feel like we could do Singapore now, but why would we when MM is working so well? I do own the CWP books but am not sure I even need them. Hanging on to them though, who knows what my son will need!

Yes, it can be tiring juggling all the textbooks, workbooks, IP and CWP. Ds is doing SM 3A now. I already bought 4A, 4B. Other ds is doing SM 1B now and is frustrated at times.

J

:iagree:

I don't necessarily care that MM is better. I want to know if it is as good as SM. From all that has been said on this thread and others, it seems so. The reason I am thinking about switching is the ease of use and the cost. At the least for me, the HIG, text, and workbook add up when you need to buy two of each of these for a year's worth of curriculum. Also, to me the cumbersomeness of the SM curriculum is just indicative of the fact that it is a product designed for the ps system.

Josephine

Guest RecumbentHeart

Well, I was searching for info on combining Singapore and LoF in later grades (while I'm supposed to be laying out a plan for K and 1st) and while MM was on my list of things to check out I am now ditching my Singapore plans in favor of MM. I'm intending to start DS in HoD's LHFHG when he's 5 and am pretty excited to see that there are a number of HoDers also using MM.

.. this is what happens when you're on the forums instead of sleeping .. :tongue_smilie:.. ultimately I think the price is what makes me confident my plans won't flip back again in the morning .. er .. later this morning ..

Thank-you ladies for all this great info. :001_smile:

Guest RecumbentHeart
Just so you know, the hands on math in HOD will not line up with MM. I have played with the idea of using Sinagapore until the hands-on lessons are gone.

That was my one concern - missing out on the stuff provided by HoD. I'll have to check it out. How many guides have hands-on lessons in them for SM?

I am not sure when they start. They are gone after the Bigger guide. They are in the Bigger guide for Singapore 2A and 2B, then starting with Singapore 3A and 3B there is only a schedule. I find HOD scheduling a little unusual, because from what I understand Singapore 2nd grade math would be 1B and 2A and 3rd grade math would be 2B and 3A.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

LHFHG has Earlybird...not sure which ones, Beyond has SM 1a/1b, and Bigger has 2a/2b. Starting with 3a, there are no longer hands on lessons.

I'm using 1a/1b with DS next year and 2a/2b with DD. This summer we are using MM 2a to work on math facts. She was already a little ways into SM 2a when I decided to switch to HOD, so I wanted to take a break from SM and work on facts. I'm planning on using SM next year since I already bought it, but I'll also be using MM with my DD on days we don't have school and the first several lessons that we already covered. I'll probably use Carrie's lesson as review, then work on MM for the rest of the lesson.

If you don't want to skip Carrie's lessons, you could always do them without the SM workbook pages and add in MM instead. They wouldn't line up, but I don't think it would hurt to work on 2 topics at once...when we used RS we'd cover several topics in one lesson.

I was thinking of doing that, too. (Using LHFHG lessons for a hands on, review component, then using MM for the lesson). But, I wonder if MM 1 lines up more with SM 1 or Earlybird. Earlybird seems so simple though, and we're already doing Saxon K for preK!

We recently switched from Singapore 1A into MM. For me, after completing addition with Singapore and dd not "getting it" and me feeling like a complete loser for not being able to teach 1st grade Math, I felt we needed a switch.

There is still a little hair-pulling and meltdowns with MM, but not like there was with Singapore. And dd asks to do it...even if she told me the day before that she "hates it."

I plan to add some of the Math lessons from LessonPathways.com and suggestions in our MFW 1st Grade to keep a little more of a "Living Math" approach going. I love the the approach, but I don't trust myself enough to be sure that dd is getting what she needs from it. So this combo is working for us!

Guest RecumbentHeart

A quick question .. I had been intending to combine Miquon with Singapore in the early grades .. would Miquon blend just as well with MM you think?

Secondly, I did come across a previously unconsidered factor with MM .. having to print it out. Does it need to be in color and is the printing out of so many pages much of a burden? DH was concerned that the savings would be lost by the time we printed out the work books, especially if they were done in color, and that it would be a time hassle.

I looked over the sample of MM's first grade curric. last night as well as the SM 1A text and workbook a friend loaned me and I actually like MM better. Seemed more focussed and to the point and that there was more actualy practice being done but then .. I'm distracted by the colorful pictures in SM's textbook so perhaps that was my problem. :P ... and of course .. I'm not the one that has to actually learn via the curric. I was also wondering if I would be missing something by not having the equivalent of the Home Instructor's Guide or HoD's lessons to go along with the work if I went with MM.

Any thoughts from the Hive?

I don't know if there is much of a savings. For SM3a the teacher and student book would be about $17. The HIG would be another $18 for a total of $35 before shipping. The full set for MM 3A is $15.50. It is 151 pages. I asked at Staples about printing from pdf and it's $.11/pg black and white which is $16.61. It was about $.21/pg in color for about $32. So purchase + printing in black and white is $32.11 so about the same price as SM. I think our staples is a bit high so you'd likely find printing cheaper. If you have a laser printer as some do here, it would be cheap only about $3 b/c I think someone said it's about 2c/pg using a laser printer. If more programs go to downloadable documents, I may have to invest in a good laser printer which of course is black and white only. And you'd also save a couple of bucks buying MM A/B package and it's 20% off right now.

BTW, Math Mammoth downloads and CDs are 20% off through June 1st with the sale code MMSALE2010.

Jackie

Daayng! This has been on my to buy list, but I just read this thread today. A day late, many dollars short. :glare:

Does anyone know if they run promotions frequently, or was this a once yearly sale?

I was also wondering if I would be missing something by not having the equivalent of the Home Instructor's Guide or HoD's lessons to go along with the work if I went with MM.

The conceptual explanations and all of the "teaching" are incorporated into the MM work pages, so you aren't missing anything. IMO, the MM explanations are much clearer than those in the Singapore HIG anyway, and MM builds in more practice and drill than Singapore does, so you don't need to add that in.

Jackie

We have our own printer but it's an ink jet. :(

I use an ink jet and bought generic ink from amazon. It comes out fine. I checked kinko's and I think it comes out to about $14 per workbook, but at the rate I'm spending on books (thanks to the "for sale" board :tongue_smilie:), I don't think I even want to spend $14 when I could print from home at maybe a 1/4 of the cost.

In fact, I better go order some cheap ink now...