Menu

We have birds in our attic....

It sounded like I was in an aviary in the middle of my hallway this morning. There was a bird right above my head in the attic singing it's little heart out. We live in a rental property, so I called maintenance about it. They came and checked and discovered that there are baby birds up there! They called animal control, who told them that it was against the law to move or otherwise disturb the baby birds. I have been told they will have to leave them there til they grow and fly away, then call maint. back to fix the hole (and I hope clean the mess they make).

So here's my questions:

1. How long should I expect them to be there?

2. Can there be any health problems for us because of them being there?

3. Do I need to make sure anything else is done besides patching the hole where they got in?

Our house and yard are full of birds, as well. We don't have an attic, but several families of sparrows build their nests in the eaves of our house, and this year some other bird built its nest in a tiny alcove above our bedroom window. We have heard it the past few evenings. Our roof is tile, and there doesn't seem to be any damage from any of the birdies.

This morning I watched two different doves gathering little twigs from our backyard to build their nests.

The only bird species we must actively discourage is pigeons, since they produce disgusting amounts of poo and do cause damage. Dh spent last Saturday afternoon removing a pigeon nest, cleaning up the poo, and installing chicken wire to keep them out of the little nook. (Our house is two stories, and the roof has several little levels, gables, etc.)

Hopefully they won't be too noisy! :D

Wendi