Menu

What is the funniest movie or tv show you have ever seen?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm talking laugh so hard you cry, gut-busting, peeing your pants funny stuff. I need some comedy therapy. :001_smile:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one scene in "The Gods Must be Crazy" that had me laughing for a loonng time as the movie kept going on. I found it was funnier in a movie theater. There is something about a dark theater that directs your attention and makes funny scenes funnier.

Oh, you have GOT to check out comedian Tim Hawkins! This guy is the funniest, clean comedian I have ever heard! We own 2 of his DVDs, but you can preview some of his material on youtube or tangle. This is humor the whole family can watch, but some of it the kids don't "get". When I'm feeling down, THIS is what I long to watch to help me laugh again.

By the way, this guy was homeschooled himself and takes a few well-placed jabs at homeschooling in the DVD entitled, "Full Range of Motion". If you can get your hands on just one of his DVDs, go for that one!

I'm talking laugh so hard you cry, gut-busting, peeing your pants funny stuff. I need some comedy therapy. :001_smile:

Well...Airplane, but everyone has seen it.

A New Leaf is little known and very funny. The original Lady Killers (1959). If you have any doings with the medical world The Hospital is a scream. I love the nurses. Made by the same people as Network, but much less dark/ crazy stuff.

For tv, I fear I can only stomach BBC

Black Adder

Keeping Up Appearances

the early years of Brittas Empire

Yes Minister

:iagree: about Carol Burnett and Whose Line. Hilarious!!! I also get rolling on the floor laughing over The Court Jester with Danny Kaye. I'm a softy for older comedy and movies though. If you are lucky enough to live anywhere near a ComedySportz club, I highly recommend going. It's super clean, family friendly improve at its finest. Here is the link to the main website where you can see locations. http://www.comedysportz.com/

I love the Pink Panther movies (and watching them with my mother as she has the most infectious laugh:D)

Also love watching some of the old "Our gang" shows.

Carol Burnett as mentioned before is also hilarious. Bill Cosby did a stand-up routine in the '80's sometime that was roll on the floor funny.

Some of Chris Rock's earlier stand-up (if you can handle the language) also makes me laugh out loud.

Diane

There's an episode of The Cosby Show where they put on a show for the Grandparents and the kids come down the stairs lipsynching to a Ray Charles song. That's one of the few times I laughed uncontrollably.

Along that line, The Bill Cosby Fatherhood stand up show is pretty good too!

Napoleon Dynamite. Anything with Will Ferrell. Monty Python.

Those are the cleanest. I have pretty dark, inappropriate sense of humor. Anything else I list will likely not be acceptable (and for good reason) for most people here.

I totally agree on Carol Burnett. Some others dh and I were coming up with (and giggling about as were discussing, so thanks for the laughs :lol:) are:

The Jerk

Arrested Development

Monty Python (TV & The Holy Grail, of course)

the Easter episode of The Vicar of Dibley

30 Rock

early Scrubs

Kids in the Hall

I still get pains in my side thinking about this:

www.hulu.com/watch/105224/modern-family-locked-in

People are judging us! Did that come from space?

www.hulu.com/watch/99353/modern-family-thief

I just stole a baby's intellectual property.

bwhahahahahaha

I keep forgetting to watch this show, but when I remember to go to Hulu it is such a treat! I also like The Office.

Edited by LibraryLover

It's not laugh-out-loud, but BBC's As Time Goes By (Judi Dench, Geoffrey Palmer) always cheers me up.

Watching something slapstick with a child or a friend who laughs aloud will also get you laughing. We've shown our son the Pink Panther movies and listening to him laugh gets us going. Dh talks about seeing the third Austin Powers movie with a friend who laughed through the movie and made it hysterical for dh.

Dodgeball can be fun (although scatological). Happy Gilmore is in the same vein (maybe made more fun by being forced to watch golf with my father a lot growing up).

I enjoy Soapdish (Kevin Klein, Sally Field). Full Monty is good too.

For websites, cakewrecks has had me rolling. She's got a book too.

Weight Watchers recipe cards from the 70s. Dreadful! (Also made into a book.) I think "Fluffy Mackerel Pudding" is my favorite of the cards on the site.

Whose Line is it Anyway? They all make me laugh hard, but the one that was the funniest ever had Richard Simmons. I laughed so hard, I woke up my DH who was asleep, down the hall, with the door closed, and wearing ear plugs!

I love Britcoms. The funniest series for me is Coupling (very risque, raunchy humor). So it's not everyone's top pick.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I still get pains in my side thinking about this:

www.hulu.com/watch/105224/modern-family-locked-in

People are judging us! Did that come from space?

www.hulu.com/watch/99353/modern-family-thief

I just stole a baby's intellectual property.

bwhahahahahaha

I keep forgetting to watch this show, but when I remember to go to Hulu it is such a treat! I also like The Office.

OK, I'm jotting everything down so keep them coming. It was cool to check this out with the link. I've never heard of it but you're right. Those lines were hysterically funny!

More! More! More! :D

There are DVDs from a comedy shop called Bananas - you can buy the "Best of Bananas" sets - Tim Hawkins is great (as someone else mentioned) but we think Greg Hahn is funny too. You can check him out on Youtube as well. We watched the Greg Hahn bit in Bananas 5 three times in a row and laughed harder everytime! I bought Tim Hawkins "I'm no Rock Star" DVD for my husband's Father's Day present.

Blessings,

Julie

The Office makes me laugh like that on a regular basis--the older seasons are better.

Waking Ned Divine. My dh and I still throw out lines at each other, and we first watched it many years ago.

Raising Arizona. Nicolas Cage, Holly Hunter, and John Goodman are hilarious. It's such a weird, quirky story, but if you like that kind of humor it's great.

If you have Netflix, the first five seasons of The Office (American version) are hilarious (it's dry humor, sort of along the lines of Napoleon Dynamite).

The first six seasons of Scrubs are also LOL funny, and I'll admit to watching Chappelle Show when it was on the air and practically rolling in the floor more often than not.

Hmmm...The Hangover, Napoleon Dynamite, Old School, Saturday Night Live: The Best of Will Farrell...

Along those lines, some of the funniest SNL skits I've ever seen are:

Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals

Womba

'Spartan Cheerleader' skits

Excedrin RTH (Racial Tension Headache)

'Jeopardy' skits w/ Will Farrell or Norm MacDonald

Andy Samberg & Justin Timberlake did two hilarious skits together. They are rap songs with very adult themes. One is called 'Mother Lover' and the other, well, PM me if you want the name of that one.

ETA: The first time I watched the first 'Meet the Parents' film I laughed so hard that my cheeks hurt! I had forgotten about that one. I didn't find the other one nearly as funny. Zoolander and Dodgeball are really, really funny! And I'll second the Cakewrecks recommendation for a good laugh. I've seen some funny Youtube videos as well. Nerdfighters comes to mind, and a Legos Star Wars video where Vader visits the Death Star Canteen (cafeteria) makes me cry every time. Oh, and Power Thirst. Trust me.

Edited by Pretty in Pink

Ok, for TV - The Big Bang Theory - totally laugh out loud funny.

For movies - I first have to say - I don't like stupid movies. I would never be the type to watch Airplane or other movies like that. However, that being said, and at risk of damaging my reputation on this board, for my money, Dodgeball may be the funniest movie of all time! I first saw it on an airplane and was watching it while most of the people were sleeping - I was laughing so lound my husband was afraid I would get people angry! We own a copy and must watch it once a month! Just saying!

The British movie Death at a Funeral. It does earn its rating but boy is it hysterical. Evan the opening credits had me laughing. (I absolutely refuse to see the remake of this, btw... never see a remake of a movie made within 5 years of the original.)

Comedian Brian Regan. I cry laughing every time I watch him. He's totally clean, btw....and I usually like "not-so-clean" comedy. :tongue_smilie:

Ricky Gervais' podcasts are hilarious (but not so clean). They've turned his podcasts into an HBO show. I love his stand-up too.

Any movie with Albert Brooks: Defending Your Life, Broadcast News (even though it's technically a comedy/drama, his character is hilarious), Mother

Other Movies: Groundhog Day, Ghost Town, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, Big Lebowski

TV Shows: Big Bang Theory, 30 Rock, Mystery Science Theater 3000, I Love Lucy, Carol Burnett, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Simpsons, Family Guy

Edited by funschooler5
Too embarassed to admit that I liked The Simpsons and Family Guy :)

Comedian Brian Regan. I cry laughing every time I watch him. He's totally clean, btw....and I usually like "not-so-clean" comedy. :tongue_smilie:

Brian Regan is hysterical. All of my kids, from dd13 down to ds6 repeat the i before e rule as often as possible during school time! I also hear the phrase "many much moosen" quite a bit every day. :lol:

And MST3K is great! Boy, I wish I had thought of that!

Inbetweeners! You have to like crude humor for this one though. I love this show.

If you're looking for clean(ish) funny, I'm liking Jam and Jerusalem at the moment.

I agree with pps on Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and Death at a Funeral.

Sometimes when the kids aren't home, I listen to Richard Pryor records. Those make me laugh just thinking about them.

Edited by helena

Funniest simply for their laugh per minute...

The famous You Tube videos "

&2";

same writers/producers I believe also did

& 2".

These are not happy go lucky, family comedy. They are definitely off color so if you go searching, feel forewarned. I have no idea what category of humor they go in, or if they are just so bazaar, there are no words.

For anyone who has seen LIH1.."My stomache makes the rumblies ....that only hands can satisfy" lllllololololol

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

The famous You Tube videos "Charlie the Unicorn 1 &2";

same writers/producers I believe also did "Llamas with Hats 1 &2".

These are not happy go lucky, family comedy. They are definitely off color so if you go searching, feel forewarned.

For anyone who has seen LIH1.."My tummy has the rumblies that only hands can satisfy" lllllololololol

(Shaking fist in air) I had managed to block Charlie from my memory until this moment. Ch-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-r-r-l-i-e! Now I will be saying this all night!

If you don't mind something a bit naughty, I'd highly recommend the British series Coupling -- all four series are available in the US. Spaced is my all time fave, but it might not be everyone's cuppa tea.

(Shaking fist in air) I had managed to block Charlie from my memory until this moment. Ch-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-r-r-l-i-e! Now I will be saying this all night!

If you liked Charrrrrlie, you will love Carrrrrrl in LIH!

The famous You Tube videos "

&2";

same writers/producers I believe also did

& 2".

These are not happy go lucky, family comedy. They are definitely off color so if you go searching, feel forewarned. I have no idea what category of humor they go in, or if they are just so bazaar, there are no words.

For anyone who has seen LIH1.."My stomache makes the rumblies ....that only hands can satisfy" lllllololololol

Oh Charlie. I don't think it's all that funny, but watching my dh and dd watch it is hilarious. "Wake up, Charlie" is dh's alarm. DD taught the baby some of the lines so she's always talking about going to candy mountain.

She also thinks she can make fanny packs cool again because she found a Charlie one from Hot Topic.

As for funny, there's quite a few that I love, a few have been listed. Vicar of Dibley is great. Black Books, IT Crowd, Spaced, Coupling. I also love 3rd Rock from the Sun. I love John Lithgow and have a slight girl crush on Kristen Johnston.

If you don't mind something a bit naughty, I'd highly recommend the British series Coupling -- all four series are available in the US. Spaced is my all time fave, but it might not be everyone's cuppa tea.

:iagree: Coupling is pretty funny.

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorites, PEEP SHOW!! It's hilarious.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm not a big laugher, but these movies had me in stitches the first time I saw them:

What's Up Doc

The God's Must Be Crazy

Arsenic and Old Lace

Monk gives me the giggles.

The Newhart show, the one where he owns an inn, is hilarious too.

I'm not very proud of this but the movies that have made me laugh until I hurt or choked on my popcorn are the first 2 Austin Powers movies. I didn't like the 3rd one but still laugh until my sides hurt during the first two.

I also like "So I Married an Axe Murderer". I really enjoy Mike Meyers.