Menu

Talk to me about World History options that would work in a co-op...

We have a co-op with just 3 families (we're basically just working with our 14yo boys). This year we did a church history for our history, but will be looking to do a world history starting this fall.

What would work well? We will probably need a text-type program that is fairly inexpensive, but would want to embellish with some world literature books and studies. We also want each child to work on a timeline.

So far we have toyed with SWB's Ancient book, but we aren't sure if we want to go that route because it wouldn't go all the way through.

We looked at the BJUP text and were considering the A Beka text, but we don't want something that is so slanted that it isn't true to history (and wonder if that would be an issue with either of these).

We definitely need Christian worldview materials, but not so overdone as to distort the truth.

Any good suggestions?

I was actually just perusing that site. I used the US History for my oldest dd some years back (before they had World History), and hadn't really thought of it, but another post mentioned it and I checked it out.

I think this is the direction we will take if I can get all the ladies on board. If not, I may just do it myself because it looks really good!

I just received my Notgrass World History in the mail yesterday and I think Cheri's mention of it as a possibility is a good one. I was reading the guide for parents and teachers using Exploring World History and there is a section on ideas for teachers of co-ops, tutorials, and other groups.

Some suggestions are a quick survey of key points from each unit and asking a thought question or two from each lesson to prompt group discussion, have a student read a speech aloud from In Their Words and discuss its impact on the listeners, or assign students to do additional research on people mentioned in a unit.