Menu

Q: best product for gluing two overlapping plastic tarps together?

I am making a 17' x 7' backdrop out of two tarps [plastic/vinyl: silver one side, brown the other] for our drama group. There's about three inches of overlap and I need to secure it together. I'd rather not sew it :D

Is there a good dependable glue-cement-type of stuff that will keep it secured through numerous set-ups and take-downs? I will also be using duct tape to tape down the edges.

dh is unavailable for comment right now, but I'd love to get some opinions from anyone who's BTDT. Or suggestions on which products to specifically AVOID, lol.

TIA!

A good local hardware store may be able to advise you. If I can get hold of my dh, I'll ask him as he's fairly knowledgeable about glues. I know he often uses a two-step epoxy (you have to mix two different components together to make the glue) when he needs something really strong. Don't know if it will bond to vinyl/plastic though.

hee hee -- Home Depot and Ace were both laughing their butts off at my question. With all the cr....stuff on their shelves that i would be willing to buy they couldn't even suggest one thing, even an expensive thing.

DH is insisting I'll need to sew it, but suggested some weatherstripping stuff to help secure it till i can stitch it up. I'm gluing it down and duct taping the edges till i get some colored thread :D

It's kinda cool cuz the only scenes we have are castle walls and outdoors, so the silver/brown sides are perfect, lol.

My DH swears by a product called "Gorilla Glue." He says to use Gorilla Glue, then get two long planks, like 2"x4"s and sandwich the join between the two boards, then clamp the boards tightly together.

Now, he hasn't actually ever glued two tarps together, but he's a pretty handy guy, and he says that if he WERE to try to glue two tarps together, that's the method he'd use. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!