Menu

Can the experts help me decide what to do about math (starting algebra)

My dd (finished grade 7, 12 years old) is done Life of Fred's pre-algebra book. She even went back and did ALL the tests and Bridges.

I really wanted her to do math through the summer (we usually school from Sept-June) before starting algebra in September, but I have nothing but LoF's algebra to do.

I was also thinking of changing to Teaching Textbook's algebra instead of doing LoF. Math isn't a huge strong point here, so doing something like Jacob's scares me.

So, what should I do? Should we start LoF algebra now and when it's done (maybe Christmas?) move to TT algebra to cement the concepts? This IS high school math, correct, so I want her to take the full year of gr. 8 at least to do it, and not rush...I really want her to understand. She's ok in math, but it's not a huge strong suit, so she gets frustrated and gives up easily.

Thoughts? :confused:

Why aren't you continuing with LoF?

Jacobs Elementary Algebra is not a bit harder than LoF or TT. Honestly, I find the teaching nature of his problem sets refreshing in their transparency for the student. Do not fear. :)

Pick a good Algebra I curriculum, and do the work. If at the end of the year you find your student is still weak in understanding linear functions and basic quadratic functions, then you might consider repeating Algebra I for strength in foundational concepts...but most Algebra II curriculums include good Algebra I review.

It's not as bad as you think. :) Just pick one that appeals to you and your student, and stick with it.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

LOF Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics will be out in a couple of months if you can wait for it. Dr Schmidt recommends that both be completed before Beginning Algebra and said that Pre-Algebra 2 puts special emphasis on solving word problems.

I don't mind continuing with LoF...it's just that we literally have May of this year until August of next year to do it...I really didn't want her to start algebra until September. As a result, I'm thinking if she starts algebra now, she'll most likely be done at Christmas, in which case I'm not sure if I really want to continue with another high school course, or if I should just review with another program.

Btw, where do people buy Jacob's? (I'm in Canada.)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I emailed the author to ask him about it (after hearing about it here). That is when he told me it was being proof read, and should be available in a couple of months, and that together they would constitute Pre-Algebra.

IF you notice any of the TT threads, you will see that TT has "Creative Labeling" for their courses, meaning that TT Algebra 1 is really more like Pre-Algebra and the start of Algebra 1. TT Algebra 2 is more like Algebra 1 and the start of Algebra 2. If your dd takes TT Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc, that's like taking Algebra 1 & 2. So, if the style of TT fits your dd, then that would be the way it would pan out. TT has a very good re-sale value, so if you do go that route, you'd be able to get back some of the money you put out for the program by selling it here on the board when you're done.

My dd had a bad experience and lost her confidence. Now TT is the only program that she feels okay with, so that's what we're going with. I know that she will do the TT Algebra 1 & 2 and count it as Algebra 1. Not sure exactly what we'll do for Algebra 2. But taking an Algebra class more than once cements the facts better, and they can move forward in college with what's required with a stronger base. A lot of people do the Algebras more than once, or supplement to get a strong program for their child.

There are Key to... books that are good at working on certain concepts that she could do until the 2nd LoF Pre-Algebra book comes out. Or, start the TT Algebra 1, and keep working through it. That's pre-alg and going into Algebra. Then when she's done with that, go straight into the TT Algebra 2.

IF you notice any of the TT threads, you will see that TT has "Creative Labeling" for their courses, meaning that TT Algebra 1 is really more like Pre-Algebra and the start of Algebra 1. TT Algebra 2 is more like Algebra 1 and the start of Algebra 2. If your dd takes TT Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc, that's like taking Algebra 1 & 2. So, if the style of TT fits your dd, then that would be the way it would pan out. TT has a very good re-sale value, so if you do go that route, you'd be able to get back some of the money you put out for the program by selling it here on the board when you're done.

My dd had a bad experience and lost her confidence. Now TT is the only program that she feels okay with, so that's what we're going with. I know that she will do the TT Algebra 1 & 2 and count it as Algebra 1. Not sure exactly what we'll do for Algebra 2. But taking an Algebra class more than once cements the facts better, and they can move forward in college with what's required with a stronger base. A lot of people do the Algebras more than once, or supplement to get a strong program for their child.

There are Key to... books that are good at working on certain concepts that she could do until the 2nd LoF Pre-Algebra book comes out. Or, start the TT Algebra 1, and keep working through it. That's pre-alg and going into Algebra. Then when she's done with that, go straight into the TT Algebra 2.

So would the three courses, Algebra 1 & 2 and Pre-Calculus, really only count as two high school credits, then?

So would the three courses, Algebra 1 & 2 and Pre-Calculus, really only count as two high school credits, then?

That would be your decision in your homeschool. Most people would count three years' spent on mathematics as three credits, no matter what topics were covered. But I think if you are trying to match *content* understood to a traditional sequence, you might find your statement to be true.

Frankly, in my home, we just err on the side of too much math instead of too little or "just enough." We start Algebra 1 at 12yo, then do a second year of Algebra 1 if needed at 13yo. Then we were able to fly through Algebra 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, Advanced Algebra, Calculus and Statistics in time to get ready for college level maths at the community college.