Menu

Latin for high school - 1st timer

I am thinking of adding Latin into my daughters schedule next year but here is the thing...

#1 It has to be easy to understand. Neither of us has ever explored latin beyond English from the Roots Up.

#2 It has to be all laid out and not a dry textbook. Can't stand dry textbooks!

#3 Do I really want to do this? I don't know other than I would like this to be her foreign language and she enjoys understanding the roots of words so she thinks she would enjoy latin.

Do you all have any program recommendations? If you do, could you tell me why you recommend that particular program. Thanks!

Try looking into Memoria Press's First Form Latin. I used it this year with my dd (8th), and we liked it. You can order it with CD, flash cards, and DVD. It is a new publication, and from what I understand, if you complete all 4 forms, that will give you two years of high school credit. I have been hunting for Latin for next year, and we are going to use Henle becuse of the translation work included. But for a high-school level Latin, you may want to start with First Form.

As far as whether or not you want to do it, I can only say that, for my part, I am so happy we are doing Latin. Understanding roots and derivatives goes a LONG way in helping prepare for SAT/ACT and improving contextual understanding of vocabulary. Once I began to understand the foundational concepts, it has not been nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be.

Hope this helps get you going :)

Guest Karmaismine

Hi, my 2 kids have been using Cambridge Latin (North American edition 4) for the past 3 years. The books are fun with interesting stories to translate and include history as well. There is a website on line with the UK version, but not a problem. Translations, games, etc. The website was free until this year and is now $10, I think.

Here is the website:

http://www.cambridgescp.com/page.php?p=clc^oa_intro^intro

There are also games and study materials developed by US Latin teachers you can find for most any series of books (including Cambridge) at:

http://www.quia.com/shared/latin/

Dd15 has only used Latin Prep, and really likes it. She's on chap. 4 of LP2. Someone posted that it gets a lot harder in LP3, and then you have to do SYRWTLL3 after that to get the equivalent of 3 years of high school Latin (I think someone said abbeyej said that --I think I read that over on the bilingual forum).

Fallacy Detective, then Thinking Toolbox (1 semester). These two together = 1/2 credit of Intro. to Logic

Then Art of Argument (1 semester)

Brindee I think this may have been in answer to my question about Logic on another thread. Thank you!!! I'll look into Art of Argument. :)

We've benefited from the Latin Road to English Grammar. It comes with student text, teacher manual (including all student materials), pronunciation CD and a teacher training DVD option (which we simply watch together). Initially, I was learning and teaching, but since time is not on my side, I use the DVDs now, happily :). We watch them together one day a week and the dc work throughout the next 9 days solo, asking if they need help. The program includes daily lesson plans, which of course, you can take or leave.

The program assumes a strong English grammar understanding.

The nuts and bolts are:

1. Copywork to create a notebook from which your dc could actually teach Latin. There is a lot of scribing.

2. Translation and sentence marking, both Eng. to Lat. and vice versa, via textbook (not a textbook style textbook, though)

3. Vocabulary building, including a CD with pronunciation (student text).

4. Read aloud to practice pronunciation, also on the CD (student text).

5. Worksheet that serves as a chapter review.

6. Test every 2 chapters.

I admit it's not exciting and the children don't rave about how much they love Latin, but it is very effective and although it is a lot of work, my children (grades 6-8) are almost finished with Y1 and all are retaining and making high marks. By the time the 3-year program is finished, they will have earned 2-years of high school Latin credit.

We like Cambridge Latin here. It is interesting and it has excellent teacher resources that are easy to obtain (Rainbow Resource sells them).

If you want a gentle introduction to Latin before starting Cambridge (which I would recommend), Getting Started with Latin is fabulous.