Menu

parliamentary vs. presidential systems

In the recent U.K. elections, the Conservatives won a plurality but not a majority of the seats in parliament, and they are jockeying with Labor to see who can form a government. The Liberal Democrats' share of seats was much lower than their share of the popular vote, because they won a plurality in few districts, and the LibDems want a proportional system that would increase their representation.

What are some good books for high school students and adults that discuss and evaluate the ways a democratic government can be structured?

Perhaps you could consider a recommended text for AP Comparative Government. This is not an official AP site, but it does offer a list of texts.

I must say that studying Comparative Government as a college student was an eye opener for me. Unfortunately much of education in the US focuses on history and policy within our borders. At the time, there was little international news in my hometown daily so even finding international news was problematic. Of course, the Internet has changed that.

Good luck in your quest.

Jane

My daughter used Charles Hauss' Comparative Politics: Domestic Responses to Global Challenges for an out of the home AP Comparative Gov't and Politics course that she took. (This title was on the list that Jane in NC linked for you.) Her class also read many articles from the Economist magazine to be informed of breaking news on the world front.

She learned a great deal and is probably better informed now in that arena than I am!

Regards,

Kareni

She actually took it locally, April, at a homeschooling resource center that is nearby. While she didn't have a particular interest in this subject, she did learn a lot and found it valuable.

In case it interests you, for summer reading the instructor had them read Robert Kennedy's Thirteen Days: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis, Wild Swans by Jung Chang, and Untapped: The Scramble for Africa's Oil by John Ghazvinian.

Regards,

Kareni