Menu

Please, someone help me with an algebra decision.

I have actually lost sleep over choosing an algebra 1 program for my upcoming 9th grade dd. She is NOT mathy. I am NOT mathy. She wants to go into art, so I don't feel the need for super-rigorous math and science. I have narrowed it down to these 3: Abeka algebra 1, Video Text algebra 1 (modules A,B,C) and Jacobs Elementary Algebra. I already own the Abeka and the Video Text (A only) but I keep hearing great things about Jacobs. I need one with VERY clear instructions, one that breaks it down incrementally, and one that just isn't too darn hard! Please, someone help me to get some sleep!

I would request Jacobs from your library and take a look at it--and have your dd take a look at it. Jacobs works for some and not others. My dd did not like the look of Jacobs or the wordiness, but the look of Foerster's and the clear, concise explanations appealed to her. She is very visual. It was a great math year with Foerster's. Then I made the mistake of trying Jacobs Geometry. She just does not speak Harold's language, and she had to change after about a month.

I haven't heard anything good about ABeka's algebra program. I haven't used it myself but I read on these forums that it was lacking. Perhaps you can dig up some old threads and see what people have said about it.

HTH!

Both my girls are English girls and artsy and the one cannot stand Jacobs . Neither can I , its not clear and goes around the forest instead of through.

She has really struggled w/trying to understand his concepts.

I have actually lost sleep over choosing an algebra 1 program for my upcoming 9th grade dd. She is NOT mathy. I am NOT mathy. She wants to go into art, so I don't feel the need for super-rigorous math and science. I have narrowed it down to these 3: Abeka algebra 1, Video Text algebra 1 (modules A,B,C) and Jacobs Elementary Algebra. I already own the Abeka and the Video Text (A only) but I keep hearing great things about Jacobs. I need one with VERY clear instructions, one that breaks it down incrementally, and one that just isn't too darn hard! Please, someone help me to get some sleep!

Is there a reason you are not considering Teaching Textbooks? From what you say you are looking for, it sounds like it would be a good fit. You could also add in Keys to Algebra to help add in extra review. I have not used TT Algebra but I do use the program with my youngest and she loves it. I've also heard of moms on this board posting saying that TT worked well for their kids, even kids strong in math.

Both my girls are English girls and artsy and the one cannot stand Jacobs . Neither can I , its not clear and goes around the forest instead of through.

What are you using now instead?

Is there a reason you are not considering Teaching Textbooks? From what you say you are looking for, it sounds like it would be a good fit. You could also add in Keys to Algebra to help add in extra review. I have not used TT Algebra but I do use the program with my youngest and she loves it. I've also heard of moms on this board posting saying that TT worked well for their kids, even kids strong in math.

We used TT 6 and 7 and she loved it. We tried the pre algebra earlier this yr. and she did not like how the format was different (multiple CDs, not being able to type in your answers directly on the computer.) I have considered it though, with the thought, "Too bad you don't like it. Use it anyway." Thanks for answering.

I would request Jacobs from your library and take a look at it--and have your dd take a look at it. Jacobs works for some and not others. My dd did not like the look of Jacobs or the wordiness, but the look of Foerster's and the clear, concise explanations appealed to her. She is very visual. It was a great math year with Foerster's. Then I made the mistake of trying Jacobs Geometry. She just does not speak Harold's language, and she had to change after about a month.

I haven't heard anything good about ABeka's algebra program. I haven't used it myself but I read on these forums that it was lacking. Perhaps you can dig up some old threads and see what people have said about it.

HTH!

I hadn't considered Foerster's. Do you have a link to a sample? I was looking through the Abeka book last night and the explanations are not clear. It is very wordy.

If you like computer-based, you should at least take a look at Kinetic Books Algebra I. They have a one-chapter trial you can do. If I remember right, there were 13 actual chapters along with a "how to use" chapter and arithmetic review chapters at the end. You enter your answers directly into the computer, so you get immediate feedback. The end-of-unit problems are to be worked with paper and pencil. You could skip those entirely (I know that some people do), but we did at least every-other-odd. You only get answers to the odd end-of-unit problems, not solutions. The immediate feedback problems nearly all have stepped help that will walk you through to the solution step-by-step.

http://www.kineticbooks.com/support/algebratrialonline.php

My dd is very artsy/english interested too---and we found TT to be exactly how you just described Jacob's----going around the forest instead of through---BIG time!

Have you considered Math U See? This is actually the only math program so far that is allowing dd to actually understand and complete Algebra 1 in 11th---we tried Videotext, TT, Keys to, Life of Fred--and probably a couple more...MUS is concise, clear and easy to implement for a non-mathy mom to a non-mathy child :tongue_smilie: I lost a LOT of sleep over math programs...

If you like computer-based, you should at least take a look at Kinetic Books Algebra I. They have a one-chapter trial you can do. If I remember right, there were 13 actual chapters along with a "how to use" chapter and arithmetic review chapters at the end. You enter your answers directly into the computer, so you get immediate feedback. The end-of-unit problems are to be worked with paper and pencil. You could skip those entirely (I know that some people do), but we did at least every-other-odd. You only get answers to the odd end-of-unit problems, not solutions. The immediate feedback problems nearly all have stepped help that will walk you through to the solution step-by-step.

http://www.kineticbooks.com/support/algebratrialonline.php

Going to check this out now. Thanks for answering.

My dd is very artsy/english interested too---and we found TT to be exactly how you just described Jacob's----going around the forest instead of through---BIG time!

Have you considered Math U See? This is actually the only math program so far that is allowing dd to actually understand and complete Algebra 1 in 11th---we tried Videotext, TT, Keys to, Life of Fred--and probably a couple more...MUS is concise, clear and easy to implement for a non-mathy mom to a non-mathy child :tongue_smilie: I lost a LOT of sleep over math programs...

Oh boy... one more to check out. I didn't even know that MUS HAD an algebra program. Going to check this out now....

How difficult did you find teaching with MUS? Would it be very difficult to use since we've never used it before?

Oh boy... one more to check out. I didn't even know that MUS HAD an algebra program. Going to check this out now....

How difficult did you find teaching with MUS? Would it be very difficult to use since we've never used it before?

No---not as long as she has taken a good pre-algebra. Honestly---my dd detests math---and she is enjoying this one. With MUS you watch the DVD, read the lesson in the TM and then start working pages. You can do them all of just some if your child understands the concepts. The first 15 chapters of MUS Algebra are supposedly the hardest because they jump right into graphing equations and inequalities---something I NEVER, EVER thought my dd would accomplish. If you go to the MUS website, they have samples of everything.

I'd look at the Chalkdust website, too - I have used both Videotext and Chalkdust with two different kids as I am NOT a math person and needed a "teacher in a can" complete program. I never had algebra (long story) in high school or college and even I could understand Chalkdust (and VT)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'd look at the Chalkdust website, too - I have used both Videotext and Chalkdust with two different kids as I am NOT a math person and needed a "teacher in a can" complete program. I never had algebra (long story) in high school or college and even I could understand Chalkdust (and VT)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I love you description!

Ok, I'm off to check them out. Do you prefer ChalkDust or VT? I'm determined to figure this out and make a decision!!!

Hello ~

Another option might be Lial's. Jann in TX (a former home schooler, math teacher, and hive member) recommended it to me when I was trying to plan out my DD's math sequence. She is in no way mathmatically inclined!

Here are some links:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lial+beginning+algebra&sprefix=lial

http://lialalgebra.com/

Best Wishes,

Dina :001_smile:

Another vote for Lial. The Pearson textbook catalog touts the Foerster as "perfect for Honors classes" IIRC. The Larson (which is the text for Chalkdust) I have examined, and I think it would appeal to the stronger math students than the not-so-strong ones. Lial works for both mathy and non-mathy students. It is self-teaching (in that the examples are well explained) and it does have an optional video component (DVT).

We used TT 6 and 7 and she loved it. We tried the pre algebra earlier this yr. and she did not like how the format was different (multiple CDs, not being able to type in your answers directly on the computer.) I have considered it though, with the thought, "Too bad you don't like it. Use it anyway." Thanks for answering.

What about Kinetic Books Algebra then? You can see a demo on the site and download a sample chapter to try out.

http://www.kineticbooks.com/algebra/demo.html

We have used Chalkdust, Abeka, and TT for Algebra this year. My son has used Abeka since 2nd grade and was doing OK with Algebra but in a lot of areas the explanations were not as clear as previous years. I think they have their high school classes designed so you need their DVD program.

We switched to Chalkdust and on average had to spend several hours a day on it. The solution manual takes a bit of getting used to and can be frustrating. We found at 2 mistakes and ended up very frustrated by the delayed support. On average we waited 7- 10 days for help. I have 3 kids and just can not sit with one for that long on one subject.

The last thing we tried was TT. Ds & I both LOVE it. We do LOF on the side just for fun. Math is no longer a huge struggle but he is getting his confidence back and doing great.

I am not one to switch curriculum mid year but this year we had to do what was best. We will have to work on math all summer but we will be sticking with TT.

Here are some random thoughts from our experience.

1. This is an important decision and the time you spend on research is worth it. Not to stress you, but a not so good choice can be a thorn in your side for years...ask me how I know that. :glare: There are several good choices available and you'll get good advice here; remember, though, that you know your situation better than anyone else. There is no single best hands-down-must-do math curriculum.

2. Don't be too quick to say your child is non-mathy. Many children show giftedness in math at an early age; some continue, some level off. Some children take off later than others. My dh didn't really click with math until he was almost out of high school. Ds followed that pattern, too.

3. My son did Jacobs. It was a disaster. We needed complete, detailed solutions and Jacobs (at least at that time) didn't have that. I think there now may also be some "teacher in a can" after-market options, though. I decided somewhere along the line that a "teacher in a can" was a necessity.

4. We repeated Algebra I using Video-text. There is quite a bit of review built into the way VT teaches problem-solving, but it doesn't really kick in until Module B. However, Module A covers foundational skills, and IMO should be moved through slowly. Also, I had ds keep his own notes in a spiral notebook. He did NOT take notes during the lesson, but instead the next day worked on notes for the previous day's lesson which is another layer of review. He used those notebooks for SAT/ACT review, but they were packed away and it took me two valuable weeks to find them! grrrr!

5. However, also on my shortlist were MUS, Chalkdust, TT, and Lials. We preferred VT over CD because the video portion is more obviously divided into individual lesssons. We loved the CD SAT/ACT review dvd's, though. I think Chalkdust is a good program but we liked VT better. That said, if ds had had time to go beyond Algebra II, Geometry and Trig in high school, CD would probably have been our next stop.

6. TT wasn't far enough along with their publishing schedule for our needs, but recently I've heard good things about TT from very picky folks with math/science degrees.

7. MUS just didn't seem like a good fit for me, so I eventually eliminated it from my list. YMMV!

8. I know nothing about Lials, but Jann in Tx gave me excellent advice over the years, so if she thinks it's a good choice I'd consider it. The price is reasonable, too!

9. This last point is the one I think is the most important. No matter which program you choose, it's important for you to monitor your child's progress so that you can diagnose what's going on if they "fall out of the canoe" at some point. So, you need to choose something that works for both you and your child. I also think it's important to monitor daily work and have discussions with your child about which problems were missed and exactly where they got off track. If you stay involved at that level, you'll be in a position to look for patterns of errors that might indicate that you need to go back and repeat a lesson. Sometimes it's hard to know if you're seeing careless errors as opposed to a concept the student didn't grasp fully.

HTH,

Martha

PS My son is now in college, and we feel that VT served him well, but if I could do things over I'd not make assumptions about mathy vs. nonmathy and expect every child to do as much math in high school as they're capable of doing. Ds decided the summer after high school that he'd rather go a science route, and our relaxed pace in high school means he's in catch-up mode. I'd also buy LOF for use maybe once a week just to present problems from a slightly different perspective. It's easy to fall into a rut of seeing math through the lens of a single curriculum and then be thrown by a problem that looks unfamiliar at first sight.

Edited by Martha in NM
add info.

I would still check out Saxon for myself...( I know you said your family member did not like it...).......... & also check out using Saxon with DIVE CD's:001_smile:

The DIVE cd's are very helpful....& if your kiddo does not grasp a topic she can just watch & relearn it again.

They are super!

Just my families opinion!:iagree:

Here are some random thoughts from our experience.

2. Don't be too quick to say your child is non-mathy. Many children show giftedness in math at an early age; some continue, some level off. Some children take off later than others. My dh didn't really click with math until he was almost out of high school. Ds followed that pattern, too.

Thank you for posting this! I was wondering about this exact thing. My dd has always hated math, feeling dumb and frustrated. But, I sense a light at the end of the tunnel. She is just now completing Algebra I and has actually told me that she....gasp....LIKES her math book. She would even rather do math now than clean her room! Of course, you should see her room. :D

I don't know if she will ever LOVE math, but liking it is okay with me. My ds used Video Text too and he did very well with it, but he didn't need the review. He ended up taking and passing the CLEP test for Algebra (after review with CLEP Professor by DIVE). My dd, on the other hand, needs lots of review so she is using Saxon. I never thought I would say this, but I really love Saxon. It has even taught this mom to understand Algebra. I'm excited about learning more next year with Algebra 2. :)

I'd go with Teaching Textbooks. It breaks down the work on DVD so that the kids can under stand it. It has a DVD with answers that helps the parent grade the test. It covers the basics--my friend who is an engineering prof used it for his son who got a 35 on his ACT his sophomore year, so even though many folks say it is an easy program, it does teach the basics of what it needed in a high school math class.

I love it. I wish I'd found it earlier. I listened to all the folks who said it was such a "lower level" math program and now I wish I had used it with my Engineering major. He would have benefited so much. And so very many folks talk about how their kids are "getting it" for the 1st time with those materials. It is really good for the math-struggling child...

C'est la vie

Jean

P.S. I own and have used Jacob's, Lials, Foresters, and Chalkdust. I'd still recommend TT. :)

I wasn't impressed with Jacobs. It just seemed like another algebra text to me. We've done better with more meaty algebra texts than that.

In your situation, what you probably want is a lot of worked out problems -- both example problems in the text and worked out solutions to the problem sets. I'm not sure which programs offer that but if I were in your position I wouldn't use any program that didn't.

Thank you for posting this! I was wondering about this exact thing. My dd has always hated math, feeling dumb and frustrated. But, I sense a light at the end of the tunnel. She is just now completing Algebra I and has actually told me that she....gasp....LIKES her math book. She would even rather do math now than clean her room! Of course, you should see her room. :D

I don't know if she will ever LOVE math, but liking it is okay with me. My ds used Video Text too and he did very well with it, but he didn't need the review. He ended up taking and passing the CLEP test for Algebra (after review with CLEP Professor by DIVE). My dd, on the other hand, needs lots of review so she is using Saxon. I never thought I would say this, but I really love Saxon. It has even taught this mom to understand Algebra. I'm excited about learning more next year with Algebra 2. :)

Expect the unexpected should have been our home school motto! I think the best curriculum advice I ever received was this: "The best curriculum in the world is of no use if it sits on the shelf because you can't bear to use it consistently or simply don't understand it."

Off topic, but I noticed your tagline. How is your sister? I hope she is improving, but know it can be slow.

I currently have one dc in Lial's, TT, and BJU. They are all good. I suspect the same would be true for most of the publishers out there. I would suggest letting your dd look over as many as possible (friends or curriculum fair) and let her make a decision as to which she would prefer. In my case, I probably shouldn't have done that. But, the BJU was free (part of a DVD package for the year), and the Lial's only cost like a dollar. I've found my kids tend to work harder when they have had a say in what they are using.

We use BJU w/dvds for math. Both of my kids are creative and language oriented. I have used pretty much every math program out there (Saxon, Chalkdust, Teaching Textbooks, Video Text). With oldest, algebra was awful (he used VT and CD), with youngest, we used BJU. It was wonderful. The teacher broke it down into tiny steps which were very doable. She had check lists for harder concepts, and dd used them. Algebra was done that year without even a hiccup!

I hadn't considered Foerster's. Do you have a link to a sample? I was looking through the Abeka book last night and the explanations are not clear. It is very wordy.

I'm sorry, I don't know of a good site where you can see examples. As another poster noted, Foerster's can be a challenging. I didn't really mean to suggest Foerster's, though that might work, but rather suggest just taking a look in person at the texts your considering. You could possibly eliminate some choices quickly, and, hopefully, reduce a little of the decision-making stress. :001_smile:

Another poster mentioned MUS. Dd LOVED MUS pre-algebra. I just decided to do Foerster's for algebra because I liked that so much, but MUS was something that really worked for her. It's not as challenging but I think it's solid and suitable for someone who is not interested or particularly gifted in math. The new format of the books include an honors portion right in them, so you could add a little meat if you felt like you wanted to.

Used Jacobs Algebra and then Geometry very successfully with our math-minded older DS (then 8th grade). It is very incremental, with a real-life example for every single lesson. However, there is not much more explanation in the TM beyond what is in the student text, so if you don't feel confident about being able to explain an algebra topic in a different than what is presented, you may want to consider a different program. There is a completely separate math help with about 12 hours of tutorials that mostly match up with the algebra topics in Jacobs if you want additional/visual teaching: Dr. Callahan

We then used Jacobs Algebra last year with our younger math-struggler DS (then 9th grade). It was only "okay" in connecting for him, with one chapter a complete MISS, and several other chapters definitely "fuzzy". By the end, I didn't feel he had really firmly grasped algebra, so this year I had him do all of Math-U-See's Algebra 1 in the first semester. The videos are very clear; there are a few spots in which he presents a topic in the worksheet for the lesson that he did not cover in the DVD lesson, which did throw DS.

However, overall, he clicked very well with the MUS Algebra 1, especially because he had seen the algebra topics the previous year. He *still* didn't "get" the one algebra topic that he completely didn't get in Jacobs, but other than that, I feel it was an excellent choice to firm up the Algebra with a second go-around from a different angle before moving on.

Just a suggestion from our own experience: that either taking 18 months to Algebra 1, or doing Algebra 1 twice, might really help a non-mathy student who is not going into math-science fields get firm on those Algebra topics, esp. in preparation for SAT/ACT testing later on.

BEST of luck in finding what works best for algebra for YOUR family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
clarification

No, it's not too advanced at all. It breaks algebra down into very small bits. There's extra work online if you need it, but with two versions of quizzes every few lessons, I think there's plenty of work.

The lessons build on each other, so I'm not sure about what the "review" criticism might mean.....

I hadn't considered Foerster's...

Foerster's is QUITE rigorous -- at least the Algebra 2 is. Older DS did Foerster Algebra 2 after Jacobs Algebra 1. I would not recommend Foerster for a non-mathy student. We will not be using Foerster's Algebra 2 for younger math-struggler DS. Also, similar to Jacobs Algebra, if you as the teacher aren't very confident of math, there is not too much in the way of alternate approaches or support material.

I currently have one dc in Lial's, TT, and BJU. They are all good. I suspect the same would be true for most of the publishers out there. I would suggest letting your dd look over as many as possible (friends or curriculum fair) and let her make a decision as to which she would prefer.........I've found my kids tend to work harder when they have had a say in what they are using.

:iagree: We tried other things and dd requested to go back to TT. It's clear and concise, and she can go over the step-by-step solutions as much as she wants if she doesn't understand something. She likes the DVD format, and I am involved daily it what she does. It's a good answer for what she needed right now! My dd can't stand Saxon, but likes TT. She likes Fred pretty well also, but wanted a DVD program.

There are so many different programs available, that more than one of them could meet your dd's needs. Once it's been narrowed down, you could let her see them and see if one clicks more than another.

Edited by Brindee

Wow! I really appreciate everyone's advice. There are so many programs out there for so many different learning styles. However, I'm more confused than ever! Here is what I know she'd like:

1. very clear directions

2. lots of built in review

3. homeschool setting friendly

4. not tons of problems, (no more than 30 per lesson)

5. she doesn't necessarily need or want a DVD program (she much prefers me teaching her math.

6. real life applications

7. did I mention CLEAR directions????:001_smile:

8. a full solutions manual

Anyone want to help me weed through the programs mentioned? I've eliminated Forester's simply because so many said it was a more rigorous program. I don't need or want rigor for math, for her. I just need something that will "get the job done in the easiest and quickest manner." Again, thanks to everyone who responded. I love this board.

Wow! I really appreciate everyone's advice. There are so many programs out there for so many different learning styles. However, I'm more confused than ever! Here is what I know she'd like:

1. very clear directions

2. lots of built in review

3. homeschool setting friendly

4. not tons of problems, (no more than 30 per lesson)

5. she doesn't necessarily need or want a DVD program (she much prefers me teaching her math.

6. real life applications

7. did I mention CLEAR directions????:001_smile:

8. a full solutions manual

Anyone want to help me weed through the programs mentioned? I've eliminated Forester's simply because so many said it was a more rigorous program. I don't need or want rigor for math, for her. I just need something that will "get the job done in the easiest and quickest manner." Again, thanks to everyone who responded. I love this board.

You poor mom!! You have gotten SO much advice that MY head is spinning :tongue_smilie:

I will still say MUS fits your bill almost perfectly----you don't HAVE to watch the DVD (in fact, the teacher is supposed to watch it) and you can teach your dd from the book after you have watched the DVD. The TM has full solutions for every problem. Good luck ;)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
You poor mom!! You have gotten SO much advice that MY head is spinning :tongue_smilie:

I will still say MUS fits your bill almost perfectly----you don't HAVE to watch the DVD (in fact, the teacher is supposed to watch it) and you can teach your dd from the book after you have watched the DVD. The TM has full solutions for every problem. Good luck ;)

I was going to say the same thing about MUS.

What are you using now instead?

There is no instead , we are using Jacobs w. Veritas Press online. I have to have a tutor for her.

Plus, we have to use Jacobs Geo. next year, yuk. But when we get Alg II, I am going to pull. They say that is even harder.

Ok, from watching a MUS sample (the one where he was explaining factoring trinomials) the kids seems very well versed in using the blocks. At the beginning of the book, does he explain how the entire system works? Would we be lost since we've never used MUS in lower grades?

TT has a book and has lecture and practice cds, in addition to the Solutions and Test Solutions cds. You don't have to use the Lecture and Practice cds. The book and the Solution cds would do the job just as well. My dd likes the lecture cds, so we get them. She doesn't always use them though.