Menu

How hard it BJU Science 7 to teach w/out DVD?

HollyDay

I am going to use BJU 7 next year as well. I am NOT science-y at all. I know that "eventually" I will have to go the DVD route, but I would like to delay at least to Physical Science if possible.

One thing to note if this matters to you: The DVDs for Life Science go with the 2nd edition, not the newer 3rd. I was kind of hoping they would redo them for next year, but I just got my catalog from BJU and it still reads that there are no DVDs for the newer edition.

Cynthia

I am interested in hearing responses as well. As much as I love BJU science in elementary, grades 7 and up intimidate me. Since I am so thrifty in other areas, I may be willing to blow most of my curriculum budget on BJU Science & DVD's. I am also wondering if it would be unethical to subscribe to Home Sat for a single year and tape ALL of the SCIENCE!!! LOL!

At the VERY LEAST, I will get a Home Science Tools lab kit, as dissections and real models are so vital to Life Science at upper levels.

I am using the BJU 3 edition right now with my dd. Let me say that I really just do not like to teach science. It is going very well. I we are doing fine without the DVD's the chapters are written well, so that it easy for the student to understand. I like that the teachers manual lays everything out for you.

The one thing that I would recommend is to purchase a separate student workbook. It is located in the back of the textbook, sometimes when doing the labs we have wanted to look at the book and this can be a pain. Also if you want to use the books with more than one child, later on down the road.

Also, I would get the kit from Home Science Tools. I wish that I had! I will be getting a kit for next year. It may be helpful to get the teachers manual and go through and decide on what experiments that you are going to do before you purchase all the supplies. There are multiple experiments for each chapter and all are not necessary to do. The insect collection was fun for my "bug hating Princess"!!!!

if you have any specific questions let me know. I'll try to answer them.

lynda