Menu

AP Exams or CLEP? And why? ER met with his advisor & registered for Fall classes

...and the advisor felt so sure that ER would be able to test out of English 101 that he registered ER for another course instead. (He will be a music major & music majors' coursework is already mapped out for them so they will be able to complete it all in 4 years. They are scheduled to take English 101 Fall semester of the freshman year.) Now ER will HAVE to take the CLEP or the AP exam. So, which one? And why would one choose it over the other?

What about other subjects -- Western Civ & College Algebra or Precalculus -- AP or CLEP?

...and the advisor felt so sure that ER would be able to test out of English 101 that he registered ER for another course instead. (He will be a music major & music majors' coursework is already mapped out for them so they will be able to complete it all in 4 years. They are scheduled to take English 101 Fall semester of the freshman year.) Now ER will HAVE to take the CLEP or the AP exam. So, which one? And why would one choose it over the other?

What about other subjects -- Western Civ & College Algebra or Precalculus -- AP or CLEP?

CLEP if the college will accept it. It's cheaper and doesn't include an essay. And you can take it at any time of the year rather than only one prescribed time in May. Also, there are more individual CLEP subjects than AP. Is he not planning to take any Math at all? If he is, there is usually a placement test so that he will not have to take College Algebra or Precalculus if he doesn't need it. If he is hoping to get out of taking Math at all in college, then he needs to take a CLEP because the only AP he can take is Calculus AB or BC.

Barb

I was inquiring in a y..... group about this matter. I read about APs and CCs but rarely CLEP, why is that?

Because CLEP is the least prestigious and least widely accepted of the three. Probably because it *is* an easier test than the AP. AP or CC are better choices when planning ahead without a specific school in mind, but it seems the OP wanted the path of least resistance in order to quickly verify work already done. In that case, CLEP is seems to be the best choice if the school will accept it.

Barb

Ohio State offered CLEP when you got on campus, for "free." It was their placement test for many courses (well, for foreign language, anyway). I CLEP'ed out of 2 credits of French, and they even took my ACT score and gave me credit based on that, for Freshman English. So I started the year with 15 credits (we were on tri-semesters), and didn't even know that was possible.

CLEP was so easy--I simply went thru regular classes and got credit.

Odd that his advisor felt sure he'd place out yet didn't prescribe a course of action for doing that. CLEP is the only way to go, if you must choose between the two and they accept it. But do they have departmental testing? I'm wondering if that is an option, and maybe what the advisor was thinking of? I think I'd want to call the advisor and get all the facts/options before making plans.

I should say:

*I'm* the one who thought about AP instead. I looked online for CLEP info and didn't find a testing center near us that offers all (3) the tests ER would consider (history, math, English), so I thought that it might be better to have him take the AP tests at the local high school or private school instead. I did find that AP tests are considerably more expensive than CLEP.