Menu

Have you had tubes in your ears as an adult?

I'm scheduled to get a tube put in one of my ears this coming week. The ENT told me they typically don't put adults under for the procedure, although he could knock me out if I want. General anesthesia doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, though. He gave me a prescription for valium and told me I could take it thirty minutes before the procedure if I want to do it in his office instead of surgery.

So, how bad is this gonna be? Do I want to take the valium ahead of time? I've never taken valium before. I'm sorta scared... Do I want to cancel this whole deal and say "knock me out"???

I had one put in as an adult. Honestly the ENT strongly suggested not having the procedure done in his office because of the pain level. It turned out I had lots of gunk that had to be aspirated out so that was probably the right decision for me.

I did have an ear aspirated once and would think it would be similar. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to pain--it was pretty intense but it was over quickly.

My tube lasted about 2 years and that was the end of ear drum ruptures for me, so I hope you get good results. I did have sinus surgery and that made a huge difference too.

Good luck!

I had a tube put in one of my ears when I was 10 and I was awake. It was my third and the dr. told my parents they could do them now w/out anethesia. (sp?) It wasn't that bad. I felt pressure and not much more.

ETA: I, too, had sinus surgery and it cleared up all problems. I had problems pretty much from birth until 13 (when they did the sinus surgery). It has made a world of difference.

Edited by Horton

My ENT also does it as an outpatient procedure. I debated having it done, but decided against it. (Level of pain is not why I decided, though.) I just live with it. :)

A procedure I *did* have done is somewhat similar. The ENT put a few drops of something in my ear which numbed the eardrum. It stung quite a bit for about 5 seconds, but it wasn't unbearable. He then cut my eardrum, and it didn't hurt a bit. I wasn't sore at all. Ever. (The hole in my eardrum was supposed to simulate the results of having tubes in my ears, and it was *wonderful!* If you need the tubes, don't hesitate to get them.)

Anyway, the ENT didn't insert tubes, but the first step of the procedure was the same and it was fine. :)

Now, 5 years ago I had to have 2 nodules on my thyroid biopsied. The doctor took a large needle, inserted it into the nodule, and sort of jiggled it back and forth to pick up as many cells as he could. He did this twice for each nodule, one of which was on the *back* of my thyroid. He did this without local anesthesia, and told me that most people didn't need it.

It. was. awful.

I cannot believe that anyone does it without pain relief of some sort. (Well, anyone except me, I guess.) There is no way that a needle in your neck isn't going to hurt.

I wish now that I had spoken to people who had the procedure done by the doctor. Asked him to give my number out to a couple of patients, or *something.*

So if you're concerned about it, call and speak with the office nurse and relay your concerns on Monday. Don't wait for the appointment.

• 1 year later...

I have to say having your ear drum cut an getting tubes put in are entirely different experiences!!!!!!!! I had tubes put in both my ears without going under or local anethestic, to this day I dont understand why my my ent did not offer any!!!, I had required tubed because my eysthation tubes were messed up and the ear drum was being sucked in causing hearing loss. I had them put in when I was younger but at 23 needed them again. I did it in office and really had no idea what amount of pain I would encounter. She did howerver put some numbing liquid in my ears which was most likely used to numb the actual cutting of the drum. Which was quite painless, uncomfortable yes, but not a piercing pain. However once cut, as with many adults who require tubes, I had a lot of hardened material back there from the lack of drainage. So after trying to put the tubes in for awhile she put in another liquid to dissolve the hardened material. She then continued the process and I have to say it was one of the most uncomfortable and painful experiences of my adult life. Had it been short and precise I may not feel the same, but the hardened material and dissolving it made it difficult for her to screw in the tube. Yes, tubes are small but this is your ear drum we are talking about which is very very sensitive. The process took over an hour for one ear, it was like torture. It was nearly impossible to not want to pull away, please do yourself the favour and at least get local anethestic. I am not sure how effective it would be if the proceure is prolonged like mine but it is worth it. And yes the tubes are worth putting in, your hearing will imporove dramatically