Menu

If you were considering homeschooling someone else's child(ren)...

...what questions would you ask of the parents and the child(ren)?

In case you're wondering, homeschooling other people's children IS legal in my state, and I am trained as a teacher--formerly taught in both public and private schools before becoming a homeschooler.

Long story short: I've been approached about the possibility of teaching a couple of teen girls (two girls, not from the same family) the same age as my dd, EK (15). This wasn't something I was actively seeking, but it's a possibility I've been considering & praying about. I felt lead NOT to seek students, but to wait, and if this was something God wanted me to do, He would send someone to me. So within the space of a few days this past week, out of the blue, I received two phone calls about teaching these two girls.

One of the girls attended public school but was the victim of bullying & violence, so she has been homeschooled by her grandmother for the past couple of years. The other girl currently attends a local private military prep school, but she is unhappy there because of the "drama" that goes on among the girls there.

I've agreed to meet with the parents and the girls, and I would like to come up with lists of questions (maybe questionnaires??) for the girls and their parents. I want to be sure I get as much helpful info as possible--learning styles, interests, etc. What kinds of questions would YOU ask if you were considering teaching these girls?

Edited by ereks mom

It might be fun if they are all the same level. And if all three sets of parents agree on the same curriculum. And if they don't chat all day!! If you conquer that, it would be nice to have actual classes, then you have lab partners, literature discussions, study partners, people to share doing all of the study questions, more people to answer all of the questions (my kids have to answer all of the questions in the teacher's editions), etc.

I'm currently schooling the 15 yo son of a friend....he too was the victim of bullying as well as having health issues, so they pulled him out when I offered to school him at home.

His folks had no paradigm for homeschooling and basically just said 'we trust you'. No alot of help. I have used the info from his high school to make sure I cover all bases.

One issue that has come up for us is how to handle when he doesn't do the work. His mom is fairly forceful, and expects me to be the same. I finally had to tell her my personal philosophy of teaching, and how my personality fits that model. Basically I had to set the boundary and expectation. I gave her the option to find someone else if need be. She backed down, of course, and is so thankful for my willingness to help her son.

So, I'd be sure the parents understand your own philosophy and methods for teaching, your expectations for the girls, your expectations of what their folks will or won't do, and everyone needs to know what the final goals are...if the parents have goals different than yours regarding a high school education, best to know that up front, and whether you can accomodate those expectations within your own personality and teaching philosophy.

I'm learning as I go, so take this with a grain of salt! It's a huge commitment, but very fulfilling. It has also stretched me way beyond what teaching my own olders did (I homeschooled off and on for 12 years with the older 4 of 6). As I have 2 more little guys I'll be bringing back home next year, I feel much better prepared having had this experience with my friend's son.

peace,

cindy