Menu

I would love to hear the advice from experienced homeschoolers...

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I posted a thread on the K-8 board, wanting to hear stories about how your homeschooling has evolved through the years. I would love to reap some of the wisdom from the folks on the high school boards.

:001_smile:

I'm sure you will get far deeper and more meaningful answers from others on this board, but since I'm first to respond, I'll give you a couple of quick-n-easy answers.

First, as mine have grown older (currently 10th and 11th grades & homeschooled all the way through, more or less) I've given them increasing amounts of freedom and responsibility in school, just as I have in life. In the early years, I made school schedules with times on them... Math at 10; English at 10:30, etc. Now, their work is scheduled by day or week, depending on the subject and the student. They also some of the correction on their own work.

Secondly, I've outsourced some of their classes. I did not want them to face a teacher other than mom for the first time when they arrive at college. So, starting in high school, they've had a few online classes, and this year my 10th grader is taking most of her courses with a homeschool co-op (partly due to teen girl/mom struggles) and my 11th grader is taking half his course work at a local career center.

Blessings,

Debbie

for me the biggest change was Outsourcing... and the amount of money I spent.

We only homeschooled the last three years of highschool. And I made a lot of decisions based on expense the first year. If I had it to do over I would probably choose higher priced options instead of the frugal ones I did. DD pushed for a lot of independence. And we ended up spending a lot of money on university courses. I've been looking longingly at The Great Books Program lately... but it's too late to go back in time and use their curriculum.

I wish I would have recognized how expensive high school is and budgeted accordingly. It still would have been cheaper than a private school in our area - with more freedom. When we started, I thought we could do almost everything on our own. Now, my first choice is to find a private tutor at the beginning of the school year for any subject that might be a challenge.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm sure you will get far deeper and more meaningful answers from others on this board, but since I'm first to respond, I'll give you a couple of quick-n-easy answers.

First, as mine have grown older (currently 10th and 11th grades & homeschooled all the way through, more or less) I've given them increasing amounts of freedom and responsibility in school, just as I have in life. In the early years, I made school schedules with times on them... Math at 10; English at 10:30, etc. Now, their work is scheduled by day or week, depending on the subject and the student. They also some of the correction on their own work.

Secondly, I've outsourced some of their classes. I did not want them to face a teacher other than mom for the first time when they arrive at college. So, starting in high school, they've had a few online classes, and this year my 10th grader is taking most of her courses with a homeschool co-op (partly due to teen girl/mom struggles) and my 11th grader is taking half his course work at a local career center.

Blessings,

Debbie

I do love the idea of giving them more freedom as they get older and having them take classes in high school makes sense. I get what you're saying about having another teacher besides mom before college. That makes perfect sense!

Thanks!

for me the biggest change was Outsourcing... and the amount of money I spent.

We only homeschooled the last three years of highschool. And I made a lot of decisions based on expense the first year. If I had it to do over I would probably choose higher priced options instead of the frugal ones I did. DD pushed for a lot of independence. And we ended up spending a lot of money on university courses. I've been looking longingly at The Great Books Program lately... but it's too late to go back in time and use their curriculum.

I wish I would have recognized how expensive high school is and budgeted accordingly. It still would have been cheaper than a private school in our area - with more freedom. When we started, I thought we could do almost everything on our own. Now, my first choice is to find a private tutor at the beginning of the school year for any subject that might be a challenge.

I should start saving my pennies then! I spend enough on history and science books to send the kids to college, I think. :lol: Thanks for input!

I learned to take my time and get my ego out of it. I wanted all my kids to grow up to be Erasmus, but had to be content with Steve Martin.

That's not so bad after all!

But the biggest thing is, I learned to take my time. A very little bit every day amounts to so very, very much after a surprisingly brief time.

And I've learned to make our home a tapestry instead of a business. That's probably a guy-problem.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I learned to take my time and get my ego out of it.

Oh, my word. You nailed it. This is so all about me. You've made me realize that my current struggle is less about how they turn out (for now, anyway) and much more about whether or not my plans are perfectly executed. :blush: (This smiley needs to look utterly humbled, not just a little embarrassed!)

I wanted all my kids to grow up to be Erasmus, but had to be content with Steve Martin.

That's not so bad after all!

But the biggest thing is, I learned to take my time. A very little bit every day amounts to so very, very much after a surprisingly brief time.

And I've learned to make our home a tapestry instead of a business. That's probably a guy-problem.

Or maybe a Type A problem? I relate... Thanks for the insight. And I love Steve Martin too. Have you heard his cd? :lol: