Menu

Anyone using Saxon Physics with Dive and loving it?

Or at least liking it.:) I have read the reviews about it being spiral but I love DIVE and this one according to the DIVE teacher is just for Saxon because of the way it is written. I want a one course book the way it is as opposed to Apologia and something that will prepare for CLEPs as this one does. I am hoping someone out there thinks the DIVE makes up for the spiral aspect and the text seems clear enough even though it is spiral. Any thoughts?

Just a cautionary tale...I don't know about the topics covered on the CLEP but Saxon does not prepare a student for the Physics AP exam since it is missing many topics covered on even the AB exam. Guess you can double check the topics with a CLEP prep book tho. And, there is some calculus used early in the Saxon physics book, fyi. How do I know this? WE started with the book but quickly dropped it. The spiral approach just didn't work for physics, imho.

Mary

Would you mind sharing a bit what the Saxon physics text is like? Does it cover physics concepts and labs' date=' or just the math? I would guess that DIVE covers the labs? Thank you!!! :)[/quote']

I don't know a lot about it. I like the DIVE for science but this particular DIVE uses only Saxon as an option and I have read negative things here about Saxon Physics and the spiral nature not being a good fit for physics. The DIVE cd has labs I believe and there is a CLEP DVD that covers what is missed for the AP exams supposedly but the pp makes me question even that now.:confused:

We were going to start Saxon's physics book when dd reached the middle of Adv. Math (suggested on another homeschooling site). But you say it's better to wait until a student has done calculus? Would it be better for us to just start the Apologia Physics I book instead, and maybe do Saxon's later?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread . . . feel free to ignore!

I'm really surprised to hear that Calculus is involved in the physics too. The Saxon book is used by the school we're home schooling through, and they suggest that a student complete the first half of Saxon Advanced Math before taking the class. FWIW, my dd likes the way Saxon teaches and does well with their texts, so far anyway.

Limits are included relatively early in the Saxon Physics book. Now, this is not a difficult concept to learn but it's nice to know what will be thrown at you rather than be blindsided. You surely need a good understanding of trig!

There are so many great physics books out there and most, if not all have been discussed here at length so a quick search might be helpful for those seeking a bit of a background on these darn books:001_smile:.