Menu

Please review my 9th grade:

And comment if you feel moved. This is my first year with High School.

Math: Algebra I

Latin: 1st/2nd Form then on to Henle

English: R&S grammar, Vocab. from Classical roots, Finish IEW

History: TOG (modern)

Literature: TOG (modern)

Science: Apologia Biology (looking for a co-op lab, probably will be me)

Logic: Traditional Logic I (then II?)

Electives: Tae Kwon Do (going for black belt before 11th grade), Piano, Computer Science course with Dad- probably on weekends. Can I give credit?

I don't know how to credit them all yet, and I need to review TOG's literature instruction. We may need a short course over the summer. We have done no real literary analysis yet. Any suggestions?

Jo

I don't know some of those programs, so can't really comment much.

About the credit: There are a certain amount of hours for one credit (anywhere from 120-160--you need to see what your state/area says is the amount of hours needed for a credit), and basically half that for 1 semester/half-credit.

From what I've heard, your dh would need to keep records of what was covered, any tests, etc., and keep track of the hours spent. If the "tests" are just your ds showing what he's learned by doing certain things on the computer, with no written/paper test, then just a list of what was covered and the "grade" he got would work. If they keep good record of these things it shouldn't be a problem to count it as an elective 1/2 credit.

And comment if you feel moved. This is my first year with High School.

Math: Algebra I

Latin: 1st/2nd Form then on to Henle

English: R&S grammar, Vocab. from Classical roots, Finish IEW

History: TOG (modern)

Literature: TOG (modern)

Science: Apologia Biology (looking for a co-op lab, probably will be me)

Logic: Traditional Logic I (then II?)

Electives: Tae Kwon Do (going for black belt before 11th grade), Piano, Computer Science course with Dad- probably on weekends. Can I give credit?

I don't know how to credit them all yet, and I need to review TOG's literature instruction. We may need a short course over the summer. We have done no real literary analysis yet. Any suggestions?

Jo

Your year looks similar to what we're finishing up (in general). My thoughts:

I didn't know until we were done with Traditional Logic that the last chapter is basically a huge chapter-by-chapter review, which could be used as end-of-chapter tests. (And it may be that Memoria Press actually *has* quizzes/tests now, but you have to call to order them??? For some reason that tidbit is floating around my brain...) Because I didn't have any sort of tests, I will probably lump Traditional Logic I in with our English credit. I would also highly encourage you to get your own student book for Traditional Logic and fill it out for yourself. The teacher's book is just the answers, and I quickly got lost. (Probably why we didn't go on to Traditional Logic 2....)

My son also does a martial art, and guitar - and I do not give school credit for those activities. Sometimes life gets to be too much, sometimes school gets to be too much, and these are the things he does to get away - or, he has to put them aside to deal with school and/or life for awhile. And, I think he needs *something* that doesn't have me or school attached to it - something that's just his, that he does because he really wants to. (School is not that way here - LOL!) YMMV completely ;).

My DS has been really helped by the online Henle classes at Memoria Press. They offer summer classes, I think. My DS *loved* Mr. Moore last summer! Maybe you could try one of those and see how it goes. (Just be sure that you get the Answer Key, so you can check your child's work before he does the quizzes.) Beginning an online class was difficult, but has greatly increased my son's confidence & independence.

We are finishing Apologia Biology, and I am disappointed that my DS is making an A with as little effort as he has had to put into it, and that I am having a hard time grading his labs. I am wishing now I had looked more closely at the DIVE Science sequence. We could have done their Physical Science in 9th grade, and then a more in-depth Biology in 10th. Just something to think about, cause I know you need more to think about. :lol:

Have a great year!!!!

every year. I had to dig around their website to find it, but it was a very complete listing of all the components a student would have to complete to get credit for the different subjects TOG covers (as well as what to call it on a transcript). If I have time later, I'll try to search the site again and find it.

Blessings,

Julie

every year. I had to dig around their website to find it, but it was a very complete listing of all the components a student would have to complete to get credit for the different subjects TOG covers (as well as what to call it on a transcript). If I have time later, I'll try to search the site again and find it.

Blessings,

Julie

That would be great if you have the time! I have such trouble finding anything on that site.

Our 9th grade:

Math: Precalculus

Latin: well, we meant to. Maybe we still will. It would be Cambridge Latin 2.

Spanish: Destinos (probably counting as Spanish 2) and Pimsleur

French: a few kids videos (Bonjour Mes Amis?) and Pimsleur

English: Lots of reading. A few essays and creative writing. (the books have ranged from Gilgamesh to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn)

History: US - A History of US and world history (by watching videos and reading Spielvogel) Both are probably half year. We started with these in 8th grade and will finish up sometime this summer or early next year.

Literature: Oh, I put that under English

Science: Conceptual Physics (Hewitt) (we did biology last year so we needed something not too heavy for this year before launching in math oriented chem for next year)

Music: music theory was supposed to happen but hasn't really gotten too far yet. Otherwise, she's doing piano, violin, flute, and choir as her main instruments.

Electives: computers and photography

Extracurricular: Band and Theater

Here's my tentative 9th grade plans:

Bible: Community Bible Study of Luke plus some of TOG Bible history requirements - 1 credit

Math: Saxon Alg. 2 - 1 credit

Communication Arts: English and Composition I (completing TOG writing assignments and will likely still use Home2Teach), VFCR, might do Vocabulary for the HS Student (she likes vocabulary), Editor in Chief - 1 credit - actually might be more than one credit - not sure yet

Foreign Language: French 2 - 1 credit

Social Sciences: TOG year 1 - History of the Ancient World

Science: Apologia Biology - 1 credit (with the lab)

Health - homemade with things on my bookshelf - 1/2 credit

PE: exercise on home equipment, reading selected fitness books - maybe 1/2 credit - I'm most interested in her maintaining a healthy habit, so we may stretch the PE credit over the four years.

Fine Arts: piano lessons and Teaching Company's "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music," attend concerts - 1 credit

Practical Arts: may begin an apprenticeship to learn authentic German bobbin lace making - 1/4 - 1/2 credit (not sure yet)

HS is such a big learning curve - it was nice to type this out from my handwritten musings about this. The only thing I'm still a bit undecided about is Geography. I have Runkles on the shelf and really want to do it, but can't overload us. I thought about doing it in one semester for 1/2 credit and then doing TOG year 1 a bit condensed (we already have completed 9 weeks this year). I think Geography is our weak area, though and I'd like to concentrate on it somehow. Wish I'd done Runkles this year but we enjoyed what we did.

Blessings,

Julie

Edited by Julie in MO

Others have suggested these for literary analysis:

How to Read a Book (Adler)

The Well Educated Mind (Bauer)

Teaching the Classics (Andrews) - more of a resource for the teacher

TOG has great literature notes.

Blessings,

Julie (who REALLY should be doing something other than reading the boards today!):lol:

Thanks so much everyone. I stumbled upon the TOG credit assignments....once....by accident. Having the link will help. Thanks.:D

VB Caroline, thanks for the literary analysis site. I will read through it. I think a summer introduction is what we need.

I really appreciate all your input.

Jo