Menu

MATH HELP! Confused. Switch to what?

Guest HSmomof 7

Guest HSmomof 7

Need 2 change from HS Saxon to ___? Can't decide-Chalk Dust? VideoTI? or Lials? or Other? Don't know much about any of them!...Used these? Switched from Saxon to another program successfully- let me know? I have been lurking for days, spending HOURS!! reading every thread on HS math I can find. Time to post! (PS I still use Saxon for younger kids. I do like Saxon- nothing personal against Saxon....just not working best for my middle kids)

For my younger dc I am finding I need a program that spends more time on each concept, and works more sequentially, clearly through harder levels of each concept....less jumping around. (and I probably need video support.

Been using solely Saxon past 9 years of HSing and I've liked it. Mostly Great for oldest! (graduating!) Worked fine for second. But my next ds is struggling. I am contemplating a switch to either Chalk Dust or Lials or Video Text. I REALLY like the daily review in Saxon, and I'm surprised how hard it is for me to "let go" of the sequence (no geometry year feels like you are somehow getting ahead ). Also, I already have EVERY book, manual and Dive CD. But I just don't feel it is working for my next dc..not getting a good enough foundation in concepts. (THANKS to whoever started that huge thread on "math Hierarchy". That really helped me pin point my issue) I think it would work if ds was a mathy-y kid and I was math-y and had more time to do it with them. I have a house full, so the more independent they can be…really helps. That means I need texts with GREAT explanations and very thorough.

So what do all you math-y folks recommend? (I kinda feel I need a video/CD component).

What do you advise for ds (8th gr.) 1/2 way through Saxon Alg and doing so so? (Not a natural at math, but my best reader/retention- he is very bright) Do I finish the book, or start over with another Algebra? Should I finish through Saxon Alg. 2 and supplement? Can I switch mid -program? Can I finish Saxon Alg. 1 and go into a different Algebra 2?

And for my ds (6th gr.) just finishing Saxon 76. He's more a natural- math-y kid. Lials BCM? Can I do Lials BCM and CD Alg.? Not sure I even want to do CD?

Really confused about where to go. Chalk Dust sounds good at first- everyone was looking for them …and then it doesn't (almost bought Alg 1 & 2 combined set on Amazon last night), but $$$!!! And I never looked into Lials until today. I have heard no complaints about it? What is their general sequence for HS math? Is it Ok for kids both math-y and not?

(Besides waiting to hear from Jann in TX) I would love to hear ANY suggestions of where to go now.

Jean in Ohio

BTW- I LOVE this forum. So Helpful!

Edited by HSmomof 7
Add main ? in first few sent. so others can quickly see.

CD is working great for us this year. I have a 7th grade dd in CD Alg. I and my 9th grade dd is finishing up CD Geometry. We like the DVD component of CD and find Mr. Moseley's explanations very clear and easy to apply to the homework problems. That being said, both of my kids are pretty math-oriented. I watch the lessons with them but rarely need to offer any extra help. My younger dd completed Saxon 8/7 before starting CD and I think that really helped solidify her basic math skills. My older dd used Jacobs for Alg. I, but I actually prefer CD because of the detailed solutions manual.

All right, that's it for my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

I've used Videotext Algebra for both my dc and it worked out well for them. I think it can work well for both mathy and non-mathy kids.

For my younger dc I am finding I need a program that spends more time on each concept, and works more sequentially, clearly through harder levels of each concept....less jumping around. (and I probably need video support.

Videotext does exactly this. The video instruction is very good, and there are complete solutions for everything.

What do you advise for ds (8th gr.) 1/2 way through Saxon Alg and doing so so? (Not a natural at math, but my best reader/retention- he is very bright) Do I finish the book, or start over with another Algebra? Should I finish through Saxon Alg. 2 and supplement? Can I switch mid -program? Can I finish Saxon Alg. 1 and go into a different Algebra 2?

And for my ds (6th gr.) just finishing Saxon 76. He's more a natural- math-y kid. Lials BCM? Can I do Lials BCM and CD Alg.? Not sure I even want to do CD?

If you do VT, you should start from the beginning. Your 8th grade ds could just switch and start it anytime, even now. Or, since there's not much of this year left, you could also just continue with Saxon through the end of this school year, getting as far as you can, and then your ds could start VT in the fall, going quickly through the material he already knows and then slowing down when he gets to new material. VT is set up to do this easily. For your 6th grade ds, he could just start VT next year at normal pace.

Videotext is quite streamlined, so I don't think your 8th gr ds will lose much time starting over in it. The same might not be true of Lial's or CD, but I'm not familiar enough with those programs to know for sure.

Anyway, HTH!

How is your ds feeling about Saxon? Does he like it? Dislike it? Doesn't care? At this stage, I feel it's very important to get some input from them on what they like and don't like. Maybe they don't care, and just do what you put in front of them? That's how my middle guy was. He is pretty easy-going and would work with whatever I got without much complaint at all. The other two weren't too picky either, but still WAY more picky than my middle guy! :)

My oldest used VT Algebra. He just worked it from Module A-c in 8th grade, and D-F in 9th grade, and had Algebra 1&2. He did very well with it.

TT maths are sort of like Saxon, and have a complete solution for every problem on cds so the student can go over and over them if they don't understand something. You'd definitely need to do the placement test for that one though, because, as I've said before, they have "creative labeling" for their levels :) BUT, it's a great program when you get the right level! It has DVD's for the lessons as well.

My dd did not do well with the Dive cd but improved greatly when I used the Teaching Tape Technology videos. They work out all the practice problems and explain things thoroughly. Google and check out samples. If you are interested I have the DVDs for sale for $100ppd. These are new due to me swapping the company my vhs for them! My email is jen_pad at bellsouth.net. This really helped my non mathy child.

Blessings,

Jennifer

BTW, we tried Video text, A Beka, and several others. Hope you find what works for ya'll!

That really helped me pin point my issue) I think it would work if ds was a mathy-y kid and I was math-y and had more time to do it with them. I have a house full, so the more independent they can be…really helps. That means I need texts with GREAT explanations and very thorough.

(snip)

And I never looked into Lials until today. I have heard no complaints about it? What is their general sequence for HS math? Is it Ok for kids both math-y and not?

Lial may work for you. They are thorough with step-by-step examples. They also have a video component (DVT = digital video tutor). There are a number of versions -- the paperback editions are usually recommended here. These can be used with both math-y and non-math-y kids. I'm sure that despite this program it didn't work with someone's child. Try searching through the forums.

If you end up using Lial a possible sequence would be this:

Pre-Algebra - Lial's BCM (Basic College Mathematics)

Algebra 1 - Lial's Introductory Algebra

Geometry - something else (while Lial has a Geometry book, I've read that it's not as good)

Algebra 2 - Lial's Intermediate Algebra

Pre-Calculus - Lial's Precalculus or another book (I like Larson myself)

Good luck.