Menu

question about Videotext Algebra

Got a question- my daughter was going to be starting Videotext next year in 8th grade. We got a sample in the mail, so she knows what the video lesson looks like. We were wondering about the student book- do they give additional "teaching" in the workbook, or is it just exercises? She liked the video lesson, but was hoping there was teaching in the book as well for further clarification.

Thanks for the info!

There are sample problems worked out and a summary of the video lesson but not any more teaching. If the student didn't understand the video lesson there isn't anything new in the book.

But you can call and ask for help on the phone.

This. You can go back over and over to watch the lesson, but there's no further help in the books. AND if your child isn't a visual learner, you're going to be pulling your hair out.

We wacth the video together and pause and discuss. Additionally all the notes of what is in the video are also in the course notes so to me that is the extra- you can see the samples worked out.

We have called the helpline only once so far and the man spent a TON of time with my daughter (30 minutes or more) and he identified what lesson was tripping her up and we went back. We should use the helpline more than we do.

My daughter started this program late after failing out of MUS (not enough teaching) Key to Series and Life of Fred. She is in 9th this year and made it to module E now. She repeated module D twice and now is better with it. We will finish in the fall this year and start Geometry

My son is in 7th this year and I had him start. he has done module A and B, I made him repeat B to make sure he has it. He is finishing it now. I figure he can easily just do 2-3 modules per year and still be done in 9th with Algebra 2- if if your child does the same and finishes in 10th that is terrific as this course really is all the algebra in the world.

Kathy

PS

Tom will usually tell you to do hald the problems one day and half the next. For my daughter who is in the harder module now this works well. Your child or you will know if you even want to Tom will tell you do just do half and move on if it is really easy.

Edited by rockala

And this has absolutely nothing to do with your question, but everything he said about math made absolute sense to my very non-math brain. If his program is as good as his presentations your kids will be well-served! Especially liked his explanation of the evolution of high school math over the last 50-60 years. I learned a lot.

Yolanda

There's no additional instruction in the printed material, but if you stop the lesson and discuss, as Mr. Clark suggests, you'll add another dimension to the lessons.

I found that having my son grade his own daily work and report back to me (also on a daily basis) what problems he'd missed and where he'd gone wrong as well as keeping his own personalized course notes did a lot to help deepen his understanding. BTW, he did not take notes during lessons, but began each math session by working on notes from the previous lesson. That helped him review for quizzes. He retrieved those notebooks from storage for SAT/ACT review and was glad (after the fact) to have done them.

If these things are not enough for your dd, you might consider second-sourcing with something affordable such as Life of Fred or Lials. One thing I'd change if I had a chance at "do-overs" would be to do more second-sourcing in math.