Menu

Are the lab sheets in DIVE Science helpful? And other DIVE questions....

If you've used DIVE science, could you tell if/how the lab sheets help you evaluate labs? Lab reports are difficult for me.

Also, DS is finishing Apologia Biology, which was pretty easy for him. Maybe 20-30 minutes of work each day - too easy an A in my book. I'm looking at DIVE for next year, but wondering if we should backtrack and pick up the Physical Science in 10th grade. Will we be able to handle the chemistry and physics without it?

Even if we could, it seems more likely he could possibly go for the the CLEP course *if* he has the Physical Science first. But then we wouldn't have time to re-do Biology at a higher level (which was the plan if we stayed with Apologia).

Any advice???

Thanks!!

I've not BTDT, but if he found the biology easy, he should do just fine going right into chemistry and physics. The physical science is a fairly basic course. If you have any doubts, you could always get the book now, and he can read through it over the summer. We're not done with the physical science book, but so far there's been nothing related to chemistry in it. I would think the advanced science class would be a better use of his time than backtracking to physical science. :)

I've not BTDT' date=' but if he found the biology easy, he should do just fine going right into chemistry and physics. The physical science is a fairly basic course. If you have any doubts, you could always get the book now, and he can read through it over the summer. We're not done with the physical science book, but so far there's been nothing related to chemistry in it. I would think the advanced science class would be a better use of his time than backtracking to physical science. :)[/quote']

I wasn't clear - sorry!

We did Apologia General, Physical, and now Biology. But, the DIVE Physical Science is an integrated Chemistry/Physics class, and looks like it covers quite a bit that isn't covered in the Apologia Physical book. I was wondering if we should do the DIVE Physical before doing the DIVE Chemistry.

Sorry for the confusion!

:tongue_smilie:

I just got through watching the 1 experiment each from the DIVE BIo and Chem CD. The lab sheets included on the CD are very similar to what my dd did in the AP Bio Lab book. The lab reports that dd did this way were very valuable in taking the AP test and ACT. If a student was familiar with doing labs in this manner, than some of the ACT science questions seemed easier to answer and some of the AP Bio test questions came directly from las being done.

The way he emphasizes how to do each step of the lab process is very clear. The 2 most important questions: was your hypothesis correct and if not why and what further research should be done as a result of your experiment were both emphasized on the video and the lab sheet (granted my sample is only after having watched 1 lab from each CD).

Step by step procuderes and calculations were also included on the lab sheet.

I just got through watching the 1 experiment each from the DIVE BIo and Chem CD. The lab sheets included on the CD are very similar to what my dd did in the AP Bio Lab book. The lab reports that dd did this way were very valuable in taking the AP test and ACT. If a student was familiar with doing labs in this manner, than some of the ACT science questions seemed easier to answer and some of the AP Bio test questions came directly from las being done.

The way he emphasizes how to do each step of the lab process is very clear. The 2 most important questions: was your hypothesis correct and if not why and what further research should be done as a result of your experiment were both emphasized on the video and the lab sheet (granted my sample is only after having watched 1 lab from each CD).

Step by step procuderes and calculations were also included on the lab sheet.

Thank you for posting! It does sound like they would be a vast improvement over what we have managed to eek out this year - which wouldn't be too hard....