Menu

AP Freakout

Okay, AP exams start next week. I'm trying not to panic, but dd is not as far along in her prep as she should be. She talked me into doing several this year and I foolishly let her. Now we're both miserable and burned out. :eek: No weekend ahead for either of us....too much to do. Misery loves company...anyone else sweating ap exams?

Well, when I was in high school, I decided to take the microeconomics AP, studying on my own. I set out with good intentions, reading the first chapter months in advance. Then life interfered, and a little procrastination here, a bit there, and before you know it, it was the *night before the exam*, and I still hadn't gotten any farther in the book :001_huh: :glare:. My Macro teacher lent me AP Microeconomics for Dummies (seriously :D) for review, and so I settled in around 7 for a serious night of studying. By 7.30 I was falling asleep in my chair. You see, I'd been up till 3am the night before doing a chemistry project that I'd left to the last minute - on purpose :001_huh:; I figured that it wasn't a big deal because it wasn't the night before the exam, but the night prior to that - plenty of time to recover. I'd forgotten that it always hits you hardest the next day :glare:.

So I figured that I'd better sleep now - can't take the exams (plural - I had the macro exam in the morning, micro in the afternoon) if I'm falling asleep, right? - and get up early to study. So now it's the day of the exam, and I'm seeing the majority of the material for the very first time. I'm speed reading my Econ for Dummies book during every free moment. I'm so tired during the macro exam that I actually *took a nap* between the mc and the free response sections.

Lunch comes around and I'm still frantically studying. I was almost done when it was time for the test to start, but since I was the only person taking it, the proctor said I could start whenever I was ready. It took me about 10min more to finish my first (and only) pass through the material, so I figured that was about as good as it was going to get, and started the exam.

I got a 4. (And a 5 on the macro exam.) And you're in way better shape than I am ;) - you can do it :grouphug:.

My poor dd is also burned-out, and she is taking only two AP exams (English Lit and World History). She has had a plan for studying, but sometimes her ability to focus has been hampered by weariness - not so much physical weariness as an emotional weariness. Final exams in other subject and the battle with precalculus, plus preparing for a dance recital, are taking up a lot of her energy, too. So, when she doesn't accomplish her study goal for the day, she begins thinking negative thoughts, which is - of course - also exhausting. I hope that she will keep her usual plan of resting from studying on Sunday, because I think it will help give her a much-needed boost of spiritual, physical and emotional energy that will be crucial for making it to the end of the testing!

Thinking positive thoughts for all AP students. I so admire their tenacity. Cyber hugs to all of them and their moms. :grouphug: They can do it. My dd has tackled three....calculus, chemistry, and world history. She insisted on this last August, and I allowed her to against my better judgement. This week she grinned and said, "Why did you let me do this, Mom?" *sigh* I have bitten a hole clean through my tongue trying not to say ITYS. The first test is on Wed., the second the following Tuesday, and the last test two days later on Thursday. After that, we will collapse.

GREAT idea. I think that I could teach that course.

"Oh my gosh, you haven't done all the practice exams?"

"You scored WHAT?....ok let's breathe here.."

"No tears...no time for tears."

"The Lord created the universe in six days...this is just a test.....let's get to work."

"NO FREAKING OUT...WE WILL BE CALM!"

"Call Dad and get him to bring home ice cream....it's gonna be a long weekend!"

Your students have studied hard for the AP and will hopefully do well. Please consider having them take the CLEP as well while the information is still fresh in their minds. Many schools require a 4 (a "B") on the AP, but they'll take a 50 or a "C" on the CLEP. The CLEP is multiple choice, computer based, and instantly scored.

My son scored a 3 on the AP US History exam. If he had taken the two history CLEPs, he'd be entering college with 6 credits instead of 3.

For more information, see the FAQ page of this website:Degree Planners

Your students have studied hard for the AP and will hopefully do well. Please consider having them take the CLEP as well while the information is still fresh in their minds. Many schools require a 4 (a "B") on the AP, but they'll take a 50 or a "C" on the CLEP. The CLEP is multiple choice, computer based, and instantly scored.

My son scored a 3 on the AP US History exam. If he had taken the two history CLEPs, he'd be entering college with 6 credits instead of 3.

For more information, see the FAQ page of this website:Degree Planners

Good advice for some.

The college my dd will attend doesn't accept CLEP so it's the AP route for us.

The opposite of Beebalm, I wanted my dd to take 3 APs his year - I thought she could handle the load, etc. But now that we're in the thick of it, I see the wisdom in her choosing to focus on two so she doesn't spread herself too thin.

Both hers are next week, Monday afternoon French and Wed. morning Calc BC. I think she's the most prepared for Calc but a 5 in that one will get her 6 credits so she has more riding on it. She can get credit for a 4 in French.

I'd love to see the Course Description for AP Freakout on the College Board site :lol:

Day 2 of Freakout almost complete. Many integration problems worked. Integrals and differentials coming out of ears. Trying to study gas laws during 'free time'. Much ice cream consumed. Unable to type in complete sentences. Hang in there, AP moms. Go hug an AP kid. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Day 3. Looonnnnngggg weekend. Wish it was longer. Many, many problems worked. DD did one section of a practice test today and brought it up one point. Still not close to where it needs to be, but it's a step in the right direction! I covered her responsibilities at church, cooked high protein stuff, kept her sister at bay, and supplied ice cream.

How are the other AP testers doing out there? My nails are bitten to the quick. This is a stellar lesson for daughter, but it is a painful one. Better now than when she's in college and a scholarship is riding on her grade. She's a fantastic kid, but everything academic has always been easy. Maybe it's good that she's learning the difference between quality study and just spending hours and hours with a text. I know I did a lot of the latter.

Hope you're all doing well. Good luck (and good skill) to any students taking tests tomorrow.

So encouraging reading all the posts! I am the only homeschool mom in our area that I know with a kid doing APs so I have no one to empathize with me. We are one down, 2 to go. It was AP US Govt today ... US Hist on Friday and Physics B next Mon.

But to add to all the stress of APs, my ds took 3 SAT subject tests on Sat, and on Sat his 4-H Portfolio was due in and the day before he had to upload his business plan for a science contest. So, it has been crazy, crazy. He and I are both rather tired (dh is in Morocco .... wise move on his part!)

My ds only decided to take the AP US Govt 2 months ago, so he hadn't been doing his course with that in mind, but he feels like it went OK (he did Thinkwell's). We'll see.

Will keep checking on this thread to see how all your kids feel after each exam!

Holy cow, Meryl! You're making me feel better! Congrats to your ds on getting the US Gov done today. Aren't we lucky to have such hard-working kiddos? My dd got a little boost today that really helped. Her Spanish teacher (college-dual enrollment) pulled her aside and excused her from the final because she'd made all A's this far. HUGE help since it was smack dab in the middle of all these AP's and an hour's away drive for us. She was beaming. More time to drill for Chem and World Hist! Your dh was smart to be out of town....this time of year is tough on the nerves!:tongue_smilie:

How's everyone holding up? I see statistics, computer science and Spanish AP's were today. My dd is asleep (I hope) getting rested up for calculus tomorrow. She told me she hopes there's no calculus in heaven. :Angel_anim: I told her that's one more excellent reason to go there. Thinking of all you AP students and moms out there....hope you're all doing well. Best wishes.:001_smile:

We're the only homeschool family that we know of in our area that does AP's.

There was supposed to be another homeschooled kid taking the AP Gov't exam with my son on Monday, but he didn't show.

I am thankful that I know some other homeschooling moms and kids who do AP's through this board -- even if it's a virtual acquaintance!:)

AP US Govt. exam is done. Ds. did very well on MCQs and okay on the essays. He is expecting a 4 or 5. We'll see. He has two more to go on the 12th and 14th. Thanks to this board, I was able to give my son the state homeschool code and the procter gave him all the necessary help he needed.

DD is doing US History on Friday. Last evening she went to the library and got out the History of US books plus lots of other books. No, that is not what she was doing for high school history and she actually has memorized most of the material on the Barrons AP History Flashcards which is a monumental achievement for a child with memory issues. I am just letting her study and today she is skipping soccer practice to study in her own way.

My ds' only AP test was yesterday. After complaining, asking if he could "play hooky," and dreading it because it was a timed test, he came away with a positive feeling. He told me that he actually had time to spare on each section. I don't care whether he gets a high enough score to earn college credit, I care about the experience. College is looming next year with so many transitions. Now I'm thinking I should do more timed testing with my younger kids in order to avoid the test anxiety.

Last night on my way home from a Used HS Book Sale I bought a gallon of ice cream.

DS thanked me. He was busy doing Physics C practice tests as a way to RELAX. :lol: He had a HUGE bowl while he worked through problems. He said doing the Physics problems were a nice way to practice his calculus too.

Right now he is in taking his AP Calc BC exam. I'll be surprised if anyone is taking the test with him. This particular PS has few kids who take the AP exams, nice and quiet and friendly to hs'ers.

Next week he has the Physics C exams and the two Econ exams. Yesterday my Statistics students took their test and I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the black-out time to be lifted so we can discuss the exam. Where can I sign up for that Freaking-Out exam you all are talking about?

Soon this stage will be completed.

Best wishes to all. May everyones child perform up to the abilities.

Carole

We're the only homeschool family that we know of in our area that does AP's.

There was supposed to be another homeschooled kid taking the AP Gov't exam with my son on Monday, but he didn't show.

I am thankful that I know some other homeschooling moms and kids who do AP's through this board -- even if it's a virtual acquaintance!:)

We are in the exact same boat. I am SO thankful for this board!

It sounds like the first round of exams has gone well for our WTM students. Here's hoping for continued good news . . . :)

Last night on my way home from a Used HS Book Sale I bought a gallon of ice cream.

DS thanked me. He was busy doing Physics C practice tests as a way to RELAX. :lol: He had a HUGE bowl while he worked through problems. He said doing the Physics problems were a nice way to practice his calculus too.

Right now he is in taking his AP Calc BC exam. I'll be surprised if anyone is taking the test with him. This particular PS has few kids who take the AP exams, nice and quiet and friendly to hs'ers.

Next week he has the Physics C exams and the two Econ exams. Yesterday my Statistics students took their test and I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the black-out time to be lifted so we can discuss the exam. Where can I sign up for that Freaking-Out exam you all are talking about?

Soon this stage will be completed.

Best wishes to all. May everyones child perform up to the abilities.

Carole

Carole, my hats off to your son for taking so many AP exams! I don't know how he does it . . .

Ice cream sounds delightful. In fact, it's too darn bad that we can't all get together in person and have a serious ice cream party. Wouldn't that be fun? :D

My brother is a superlative AP history teacher, and I know he always has a long summer until the AP scores come out. He puts his heart and soul into preparing his kids for the exam, so it's only natural that he is heavily invested in how they did. I'm sure it is the same for you! :grouphug:

Wouldn't a grand gathering be nice....... huge ice cream social........

Just returned from picking my ds up from the PS and his AP Calc BC exam. Four kids took the AB exam and only DS taking the BC exam. There was a fire alarm that went off in the middle of the free response questions! :eek: They were out of the classroom for over 30 minutes. When they returned instead of the 12 minutes they were supposed to have they were given 10 minutes. No, he didn't correct the proctor on the time --- :glare: it is what it is.

Carole

Edited by Blue Hen

Wouldn't a grand gathering be nice....... huge ice cream social........

Just returned from picking my ds up from the PS and his AP Calc BC exam. Four kids took the AB exam and only him taking the BC exam. There was a fire alarm that went off in the middle of the free response questions! :eek: They were out of the classroom for over 30 minutes. When they returned instead of the 12 minutes they were supposed to have they were given 10 minutes. No, he didn't correct the proctor on the time --- :glare: it is what it is.

Carole

Oh Carole, that REALLY stinks!! :( I am so sorry. That truly is not fair, to have that enormous break in concentration!

It reminds me of the time that our eldest took the SATs. Some genius at the high school scheduled taiko drum practice for that same location and time. Right outside their classroom, and the class door was left open due to heat. Yeah, taiko drums . . . those huge, booming Japanese drums. :glare:

Why nobody stopped the drum practice once the conflict became obvious is completely beyond me!

Just returned from picking my ds up from the PS and his AP Calc BC exam. Four kids took the AB exam and only him taking the BC exam. There was a fire alarm that went off in the middle of the free response questions! :eek: They were out of the classroom for over 30 minutes. When they returned instead of the 12 minutes they were supposed to have they were given 10 minutes. No, he didn't correct the proctor on the time --- :glare: it is what it is.

Carole

May I just say that your son wins the award for the most disruptions while taking AP exams. Wasn't it construction noise a year or two ago?

Jane you have a great memory.

The first year DS was at a school that had the kids take their AP exam in the library. Should be quiet right? NO! Kids were coming in and out of the library, asking questions, getting books --- and the kids were squeezed 6 to a conference table. Way too tight.

DS took his PSAT at a school located in the woods. Should be nice and quiet I thought. NO! The construction workers had their table saws and air compression units set-up right outside their windows.

Last year's AP exam setting was wonderful and quiet so we returned to that school. The sec't said the alarm has been going off often (geez, then wouldn't they know it was a false alarm and let these kids continue? I know, most likely that would be breaking some fire code regulation.) Hopefully they will have it repaired before next weeks exams. He also said the room was noisy compared to last year's.

Here's to quiet, peaceful test-taking settings for everyone!

Carole

We're back. Dd took Calculus BC this morning and didn't feel positive about it. I'm trying to prop her (and myself) up. This has been a valuable lesson in many respects....it's the first thing that's ever challenged her. A good dose of humility is good for all of us. She said on the way home that she wanted to do it again next year and do it right. Horrors. I don't even know if that's possible....I'll think about it tomorrow....tomorrow IS another day. (as Scarlet would say).

Onward to Chemistry. She said a few minutes ago that it was actually fun after studying calculus. Hmmmm..we'll see on Tuesday.

Ice cream?!?! We need chocolate - and lots of it. The only cure for AP Freakout is a good chocolate caffeine buzz! Ds is studying for his AP Physics B exam for Monday. I am definitely freaking out! He is putting on his "I don't care face."

BTW, how do you determine a score on practice exams? My son's prep book doesn't have any info on that.

WEEK TWO!!! It just gets better and better! Hope all of you out there still have hair, dignity, and wits intact. Good luck to all the hard-working APers out there and to the moms cheering them on. We can do this people!!!!!

BTW, Happy Mother's Day.

DD got through her AP US History exam (her first AP) with a smile. She was very happy about two of the three essays and reasonably confident about the majority of her multiple choice questions.

She had a great testing situation, at an elite private school in Honolulu. No worries at all, no taiko drum practice (always a plus) . . . though the 75 or so other kids taking the same test were *very* curious as to who on earth that stranger in their midst was! ;)

She heads in for AP Psych test on Tuesday.

Thinking of all our kids as they take on the challenge of another AP Test Week! Good luck, everybody! :)

Just dropped dd off for her last, I said LAST, AP test. This year we have all learned a lot. I am thankful for the experience because dd got the wake-up call that I did during my freshman year of college. Over the past four weeks, she has worked harder than I've seen her work in a long time. She's learned that the words passive and work don't belong in the same sentence, and that there is NO substitute for working hundreds of practice problems. She's also learned that you can't be all things to all people and get so busy that you don't do anything very well. These are good lessons. She felt terrible about one test, good about another, and confident about the third this morning. It will be tough to wait until July for results. :tongue_smilie:

My dh has seen that I wasn't just 'worrying for nothing' concerning dd's level of commitment to her studies and that she truly IS a mortal! LOL Perhaps next year they'll remember and I won't have to be the only bad guy in the house. But probably not. :glare: We'll see about that too.

I have learned (once again...for the zillionth time) to trust my gut. It's hard to draw the line in the sand...but it's my job. Not a fun one, but my job.

This afternoon my dd will write a letter to herself about what she has learned this year and about what she would do differently next time. This isn't a punitive thing...I wish I had known these lessons at her age. If she can apply these lessons to college, she'll be way ahead. Hindsight is 20/20. I will write one to myself as well to pull out during difficult times next year.

Good luck to any other students taking their last AP exams. I'm very proud of all our hive kiddos.

This afternoon my dd will write a letter to herself about what she has learned this year and about what she would do differently next time. This isn't a punitive thing...I wish I had known these lessons at her age. If she can apply these lessons to college, she'll be way ahead. Hindsight is 20/20. I will write one to myself as well to pull out during difficult times next year.

I think this is a great idea.

Best wishes to all those who still have an exam or more to go. And here's hoping that everyone will receive satisfying news in July.

Regards,

Kareni