Menu

History of the Ancient World Study Guides/Texts

I am working my way through HOAW and loving it. However it doesn't seem to be forming a concrete picture in my head of the basics of what happened when and to whom. :glare:

So, is there a study guide type resource that would fit nicely with HOAW? A text of some sort??? I am hesitant to add in anything which is going to make me more confused!

For those who are using HOAW for self education, how much of the text are you seeking to retain?

Have you been making a large timeline? I think the best way to see it all is to get a roll of butcher paper or something like this and to copy the timelines onto it. There are overlaps amongst various chapters, so you can line them up together.

I'm reading this to write questions and grade dd's answers and papers. I'm not worried about retaining it all right now because I have two more dc who will be doing this book. As for my dd who is doing it now, I don't expect her to retain it all because she's only doing history because she has to--she's more interested in science & math. That said, she remembers more than I do because she spends more time with it and has a good memory. She's not doing a timeline, but I plan to have my middle dd, who enjoys history, do one.

I'm having dd do an annotated timeline in a notebook by using the timelines at the end of each chapter as a guide. We also used the study guide and test found at the link below (Thank you, Laura!) when we finished part 3.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66225&highlight=History+ancient+world

I wonder how much dd is retaining because there are just so much detail. We started out the year using Spielvogel's History Odyssey and may go back to it if there's time to use it to review the highlights of ancient Greek and Roman history.

Dd also watched lectures from the Foundation of Western Civilzation DVD by the Teaching Company in the first semester. We really need to get back to that. Dd isn't crazy about it by I really like it. That would also help to reinforce major points. Liza Q made a schedule for HOAW, History Odyssey, and the Foundation of Western Civilization.

HTH!