Menu

older versions of saxon math

lovetobehome

Hi, I just have a question for anyone who has compared the older versions of saxon with the newer. My sister uses Saxon, and I found levels 7/6 and 8/7 for free at a book giveaway today. These are older versions, second edition. They are textbooks. She is currently using the 3rd ed of 6/5. Is there any problem, in your experience or opinion, with using the older ones? She does not use DIVE, so that isn't a factor.

THANKS! Just trying to decide if I should ship them to her, or pass them on to someone else! Thought someone here might have some experience with this.

I am just starting to see that there is a difference, although I haven't analyzed all that closely. I went to Art Reed's session on teaching Saxon at our hs convention and he said not to use older versions (depending on the level). For 7/6 he said not to use the 1st or 2d. Well, I had just used 7/6 for ds and just in the past two days have seen a difference as I tried to move him into Alg. 1/2. I went back and gave him tests from the new 7/6 (which I ordered for my dd, and he didn't do well on the tests telling me he hadn't seen a lot of the later material. So, much to his chagrin, we're going back to the end of 7/6 to make sure he's caught up.

HTH,

Laura

• 2 weeks later...
I am just starting to see that there is a difference, although I haven't analyzed all that closely. I went to Art Reed's session on teaching Saxon at our hs convention and he said not to use older versions (depending on the level). For 7/6 he said not to use the 1st or 2d. Well, I had just used 7/6 for ds and just in the past two days have seen a difference as I tried to move him into Alg. 1/2. I went back and gave him tests from the new 7/6 (which I ordered for my dd, and he didn't do well on the tests telling me he hadn't seen a lot of the later material. So, much to his chagrin, we're going back to the end of 7/6 to make sure he's caught up.

HTH,

Laura

That's funny. I read (here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor75.html) that the older versions were better, and purposefully sought out an older set of 5/4-preAlgebra to have on hand in case I wanted to use Saxon with any of my kids. :D

Saxon 8/7 1st edition will not prepare the student for Algebra 1. Both the 2nd ed. hardback and 3rd ed. softcover will.

Well, that isn't exactly true.

In previous editions, students who zoomed through Math 76 did Alg. ½, then Alg. 1; students who struggled through Math 76 did Math 87, then Alg. 1. So I would have to say that yes, older editions of Math 87 did prepare students for algebra.

That's funny. I read (here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor75.html) that the older versions were better, and purposefully sought out an older set of 5/4-preAlgebra to have on hand in case I wanted to use Saxon with any of my kids. :D

That article was written in 2004 the same year that Saxon company was sold, so at the time Linda Taylor couldn't have compared the books. It seems in another of her articles she is upset with the softcover rather then the content. You can read comparisons here.

Well, that isn't exactly true.

In previous editions, students who zoomed through Math 76 did Alg. ½, then Alg. 1; students who struggled through Math 76 did Math 87, then Alg. 1. So I would have to say that yes, older editions of Math 87 did prepare students for algebra.

According to Art Reed's book the first edition was a good 7th grade math book in its time (it's been out of print for almost 10yr. years) it would now be academially weak for a 7th grade math book. He does not recommend it as a preparatory text for Algebra 1. If a student used the 1st ed. of 8/7 he recommends using Algebra 1/2 before attempting Algebra 1.

2nd edition is fine.

Edited by Homeschooling6
forgot a word