Menu

Virginia

Alice

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I'm halfway between Richmond and Fredericksburg, near Kings Dominion. (I can describe where I live all day long, but when I say "near KD" EVERYBODY knows where I mean, then :o)

I kicked and fought and used every hissy fit in my arsenal to no avail, (my husband cannot abide traffic which, for him, would be three other cars within 300 yards of his vehicle on the same road), about moving to the country, and now love, love, love it. Pediatricians in Mechanicsville, orthodontist in Ashland, daughter at U. of Mary Washington, son maybe going to VCU, shop Richmond OR F'burg, whichever I feel like, 90 minutes to IKEA and a bit futher to hugeamongous used bookstore in Manassas (actually kinda near The Teaching Company physical site, but they have no outlet.) I can hop on the VRE in downtown Fredericksburg and go to DC for the day....some of the VRE pick-ups are serviced by more-comfy Amtrak.

Best tip on Richmond area today (IMHO): Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is reopening and General Admission to permanent collection is always free!

A nice homeschooling group I have enjoyed is The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers:

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/support/

I have not done co-ops or lots of net-working since I've only homeschooled my youngest, thru middle school and starting high school, but I've gotten lots of nice hand-holding from this group, when I needed it. I think homeschoolers in Va. have a lot of resources.

LBS

Best tip on Richmond area today (IMHO): Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is reopening and General Admission to permanent collection is always free!

A nice homeschooling group I have enjoyed is The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers:

AND the grand re-opening is Saturday, and one of the exhibits is by a friend of mine who just became a 1st time daddy YESTERDAY. :D

http://brickworkz.com/about-brickworkz-lego-mosaics.shtml

• 1 month later...
I'm halfway between Richmond and Fredericksburg, near Kings Dominion. (I can describe where I live all day long, but when I say "near KD" EVERYBODY knows where I mean, then :o)

I kicked and fought and used every hissy fit in my arsenal to no avail, (my husband cannot abide traffic which, for him, would be three other cars within 300 yards of his vehicle on the same road), about moving to the country, and now love, love, love it. Pediatricians in Mechanicsville, orthodontist in Ashland, daughter at U. of Mary Washington, son maybe going to VCU, shop Richmond OR F'burg, whichever I feel like, 90 minutes to IKEA and a bit futher to hugeamongous used bookstore in Manassas (actually kinda near The Teaching Company physical site, but they have no outlet.) I can hop on the VRE in downtown Fredericksburg and go to DC for the day....some of the VRE pick-ups are serviced by more-comfy Amtrak.

I have not done co-ops or lots of net-working since I've only homeschooled my youngest, thru middle school and starting high school, but I've gotten lots of nice hand-holding from this group, when I needed it. I think homeschoolers in Va. have a lot of resources.

LBS

Hi! I think we are probably neighbors : )

I am going to PM you!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ingrid

This is my first post after stalking you guys all summer! Anyone in Norfolk or nearby?

I will be following WTM this fallfor my son --10/5th grade-- and daughter -- 7/2nd grade.

Hi! I'm new here and this will be my first year as a homeschooler too! I'm excited to see there are others nearby. We are in Stafford.

We have three children. Our girls are 9 and our son is 7. I am looking forward to this new chapter of our lives and yet I'm terrified at the same time! I guess that's probably normal.

I would love info about any good groups in the area!

Thanks!

Karen

Hi! I'm new here and this will be my first year as a homeschooler too! I'm excited to see there are others nearby. We are in Stafford.

We have three children. Our girls are 9 and our son is 7. I am looking forward to this new chapter of our lives and yet I'm terrified at the same time! I guess that's probably normal.

I would love info about any good groups in the area!

Thanks!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Welcome! I'm in Stafford as well.:)

Welcome!

I used to live in Fredericksburg, and while there I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of a support group called TOOL. It was big enough to have plenty of kids and moms to meet and plenty of fun activities, but it was small enough to get to know people.

They have monthly moms meetings, Nature Days at Motts Run Reservoir, a lending library, field trips, etc.

Hope that helps and enjoy your homeschooling!

Thanks for the welcome and the info! I'll definitely check them out!

Karen

Karen, here is a notice of the next TOOL meeting I received today:

Hi everyone. I wanted to submit another post about TOOL Homeschool group's Back-to-School night on Tuesday, August 17th starting at 7 p.m. I wanted to let you know that I've planned a bunch of field trips for TOOL this year. Because these will be TOOL sponsored events, TOOL membership is required to sign up for and attend them. If you're interested in these field trips, please consider joining TOOL. I think the membership is $15/year.

On the TOOL field trip calendar from August through December 2010:

Fossil Beach - just $1/child

Virginia State Fair - at deep discounts to regular admission fees

Belvedere Plantation - $8.50/child, $6/adult

D.C. by Bike - just $1/child

Claude Moore Colonial Farm - just $5/each

National Museum of the Marine Corps - just $1/child

The following field trips are Kennedy Center Performances: Rumplestiltskin - just $5/each

One Small Step - just $5/each

Snow White, Red Rose (and Fred) - just $5/each

The Nutcracker (dress rehearsal performance) - just $5/each

You will have an opportunity to sign up for the above field trips at the Back-to-School meeting on August 17th at Salem Field Community Church, 11120 Gordon Road, Fredericksburg, VA, 22407.

Hope to see you there!

Sophia Crites

Also, here is the link to a Yahoo group for homeschool moms in Stafford:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/North-Stafford-MOMS/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest homeschool1mom

We are in Southern Virgina. "Keeling"

I have been homeschooling for 4 years. My son is in the 7th grade. We personally know about 50 homeschooling families in our area including Danville, Halifax and Martinsville.

~Sheila~

• 1 year later...

well, I see this thread is mostly very old - but i"m on the far west end of Richmond, this will be my 4th year homeschooling, but i just finally started hanging out on this board recently. (I'd avoided it due to too many tales of drama . . . lol . . i'm trying to stick to threads i'm particularly insterested in!) Every time i meet a new homeschooler, they say "Oh, you post on the yahoo group" meaning the Richmond Area Homeschoolers ...so Richmond area folks might have seen me there . . .

I live near Manassas , Northern Virginia and look forward to connect with Moms in my area

I have a rising 6th grader son

Ritu

Edited by Ritu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like we are going to move next year to DC. Our Navy orders are due any day now. I would love to get to know other homeschooling/afterschooling parents in the area. And if anyone has advice for me , I'm all ears. I'm not 100% decided on whether my 10 year old will be at home or in private or public school, but I'd really like to send my younger to Spanish immersion school. It seems most likely we will move to Arlington, or somewhere in Fairfax County since that is where all the immersion schools are.

I always make the mistake of picking the wrong neighborhood because I am so unfamiliar with the area and just haven't figured out where everything is etc. Would love lots of kids to play with, the kind of neighborhoods where kids still go outside and ride bikes in the afternoons, (or daytime, during breaks/recess if they are homeschooled too!) Also, really quiet.If you happen to live in these areas and want to let me know why you love your area I would be so thrilled to hear about the different areas and get to meet some new online buddies before we move out next year.

Hey Rachel- I live near Richmond... in Powhatan!

americastamps-I don't know much about DC communities personally but I have a friend who lives near DC. Her husband is in the army and they live in Dumfries. I'm told that MOST of the Army families stationed in the area live in Dumfries. Do Army families and Navy families mix well? I have no clue.. LOL. I don't know if that helps you, I hope it does!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think Army families and Navy families mix well. At least, in my situation I don't care what branch. :-) Of course, I want to meet friends of all types, but it is always nice to meet up with folks who "get it". Just like it is nice for us to meet other folks on well trained mind who "get it" in regards to how we feel about education. Sometimes I have a hard time fitting in because I'm too conservative for more liberal circles or too liberal for some conservative circles. It doesn't help much that once I start to make friends it is time to move again. My one consolation is that I have so much advance notice...we won't move until about 10-12 months from now. I'm trying to get a headstart on making friends now ;-) Anyone, who is ok with a home birthing, military wife who is natural minded but still conservative in some ways? I do like to socialize with just about anybody, I love learning from people who see things differently than I do. But everyone once in a while it would be nice for someone to feel that way about me, instead of just thinking I'm wierd. I mean, it can totally surprise you that I would have a home birth. And perhaps, you would never in a million years, have one yourself. But, if it disgusts you and you think it should be illegal, I might feel just a little uncomfortable.

do seem very nice, I know a nice girl that lived in Japan with us, and I believe she lives down there. I will have to get some more info from her about it, but I am guessing that it might be more of a commute than what are hoping for. I'll have more of an idea once we get out there to do some practice metro/driving runs from different potential areas. It might be a little overkill on my part to go out there before we move, but this time I want to have everything all figured out before we move, rather than ten months into our new duty station. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Americanstamps, I live in the City of Alexandria, VA, and just had two Air Force families who homeschool (or at least partly) move into my neighborhood. They are both great families! The one family (4 kids), who live next door, has three in public school and one at home, but has done Spanish immersion school in the past, so they sound somewhat familiar to you in educational choices. They are one of the nicest families I have ever met.

I love where we live, though housing is expensive. There are lots of homeschoolers around and tons of activities. You can usually find someone who "gets" you. The group of homeschoolers I know may not all do home births (some do!) but don't blink an eye at someone else choosing that route. Many of my friends tend to have fluid educational plans as well, homeschooling some kids, putting some in private or public school, basically just meeting the kids' needs a year at a time.

I also have a friend who sent her kids to the Spanish immersion school in Arlington, and they were very pleased overall.

• 9 months later...

So, I see that the last posting in this topic was in 2012, but I thought I might just go ahead and post anyway....

I'm finally just got around to introducing myself on the board.  I've been hanging around the forums and browsing but now am finally sitting down to say a more formal "hello!"

I am mom to three -- 9 year old son, 7 year old daughter, and 5 year old son.  This fall I will be newly homeschooling my 9 and 7 year olds (youngest is going to finish out third year of Montessori school).  We live in the Hampton Roads area (border of Norfolk & VA BCH) and have been here for nearly 13 years.   I am so excited to be HSng this year!  

I'm happy to have found this board and group as I would love to find some playmates for my children, my oldest son in particular.  He is HG and fairly introverted and tends to be a bit shy if put on the spot.  He is a great kid but my heart has just broken for him over the past two years because all three of his very best buddies have moved (All-time best friend born at same time, lived two doors down, were inseparable, moved out out state; second moved out of state; next moved out of country to Africa!).  We are looking into a Boy Scout troop and will be taking a class at one a co-op in the fall to find some friends for him. So, if anyone is around, would love to meet sometime!   :)

Thanks!

Maryann

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...