Menu

Literature & transcript questions

Do you list literature courses separate on the transcript from English?

In my mind English is: grammar, writing/composition, vocabulary, spelling and literature.

I was thinking of listing them like this:

English 9: Literature Analysis

English 10: American Literature

English 11: Ancient/World Literature

English 12: British Literature

How do you do it?

We did a little of both. Our sons earned English credits through a variety of sources. Two of those (American School and community college) did not lump composition and literature together, so as our sons earned English credits through those sources, we listed their grammar/comp and lit credits separately. Our youngest son did spend one year earning an integrated English credit using LLATL, and that was listed on his transcript as a single credit for "English 11".

By the way, your plan looks good. I am assuming you will find a way to convey the fact that those courses included composition and grammar?

Edited by Janet in WA

The majority of syllabi that I looked at online for English classes, or English textbooks from standard all seem to include the following for each 1 year/1credit class:

- literature

- composition (writing)

- grammar

- vocabulary

Some English courses also include a small rhetoric (speech/public speaking) element.

For our transcripts, I *do* include a certain amount of literature in our English class credit, but because we do FAR more literature than any standard English class, I also count a 0.5 to 1.0 credit (depending on how much extra lit. we did) for "Great Books" as an elective. Our final transcript will look like this (I will be listing classes by subject NOT by year):

ENGLISH

English 9 = 1 credit

English 10 = 1 credit

English 11 = 1 credit

English 12 = 1 credit

ELECTIVES

Classic Ancient Literature = 1 credit

Classic 20th Century Literature = 1 credit

In the supplemental material we send along with the transcript, I will include course descriptions which will list the programs used for the English along with a booklist for the literature, and then a description for each of the electives with a lit. list. BEST of luck in "wrangling" your transcripts and credits! Warmest regards, Lori D.

In most cases, each year of high school *English* is assumed to have included grammar/composition (each of equal length of time, e.g. 1 semester of both combined) and literature (also one semester, although of course most schools alternate between grammar/comp and literature). And it's usually titled "English." If you had to write course descriptions (such as for college entrance), that's when you'd describe which literature was studied each year.

The majority of syllabi that I looked at online for English classes, or English textbooks from standard all seem to include the following for each 1 year/1credit class:

- literature

- composition (writing)

- grammar

- vocabulary

I have been assuming that colleges *know* that English covers all that, but yet there are whole textbooks dedicated to Literature without any grammar and with writing assignments with no instruction. That makes me wonder if Literature should be included in the title.

By the way, your plan looks good. I am assuming you will find a way to convey the fact that those courses included composition and grammar?

Thanks. Yes, that is what I am hoping to figure out. Surely it can't be this complicated.

In most cases, each year of high school *English* is assumed to have included grammar/composition (each of equal length of time, e.g. 1 semester of both combined) and literature (also one semester, although of course most schools alternate between grammar/comp and literature). And it's usually titled "English." If you had to write course descriptions (such as for college entrance), that's when you'd describe which literature was studied each year.

OK- that is what I was thinking. So I can probably stick with English 9, 10, 11 an 12. IF the college ask for course descriptions then it would be indicated there that we covered such and such literature.

My dc's transcripts list English 9, 10, 11 and 12. No university has asked for more info than that. If they want a book list or course descriptions they will ask for those, but none of the colleges my dc applied to wanted more than just the transcript. I suggest you have the detailed course descriptions ready just in case, but just send the transcript. Colleges are used to seeing the common course titles.