Menu

C-Sections: I want more info

I have never had a c-section but have many friends who have had them and were perfectly happy with their deliveries.

It seems, though, that women usually say you should not get a c-section, or speak of it as an inferior way of getting the baby out.

So, I am wondering. What IS so bad about having a c-section? Does it somehow endanger or negatively impact the baby? the mother? Or, is the only argument against it that it isn't natural?

Tell me why a woman should avoid a c-section if at all possible.

I would like factual info rather than emotions, please.

I have never had a c-section but have many friends who have had them and were perfectly happy with their deliveries.

It seems, though, that women usually say you should not get a c-section, or speak of it as an inferior way of getting the baby out.

So, I am wondering. What IS so bad about having a c-section? Does it somehow endanger or negatively impact the baby? the mother? Or, is the only argument against it that it isn't natural?

I've had three types of delivery--natural, emergency c-section, and an epidural that I requested well into pushing in hopes of avoiding another c-section. The recovery from the c-section was the most difficult by a long shot.

Every woman is different, and every birth different. My good friend had such an easy time with her first C-section that she was hoping for one the second time around. She wound up needing one and found her recovery much, much harder that second time.

As for it being an inferior way of getting the baby out, my placenta had ruptured and seriously I could have cared less who or how got my baby out. The concept of it being inferior never crossed my mind because it saved my baby's life--it was only harder on me.

It's major surgery for one. There can be some serious risk involved to both mother and baby. If you plan on having more children you will find it hard to find a doctor who will allow you to have a VBAC, if you wish. If you do try for a VBAC there is a slight increased risk of complications. Recovery is longer.

C sections are great when they are necessary but should not be taken lightly.

A c-section is still major abdominal surgery. Recovery can be long. Pain is worse. Complications can be serious.

I had three emergency c-sections. By far the easiest one was when I was physically able to get up the next day. My first one, I remained in a drug-induced stupor (medically induced) for 48 hours after delivery. Recovery from that one was long, painful and complicated by an infection. My second and third were much easier on me than the first one.

. If you plan on having more children you will find it hard to find a doctor who will allow you to have a VBAC, if you wish. If you do try for a VBAC there is a slight increased risk of complications.

My doctor was willing to let me try a VBAC but since it was a 9lb+ baby he put a time limit (45 minutes, I think) on how long he'd let me go, unlike the first time around where I pushed for 3 hours. If I didn't have her down in that time, he was going to do a C-section.

I've had 3.

#1 was at 28 weeks because my dd was almost stillborn. During the procedure my arms were pinned down straight out with straps. It was humiliating. I got an infection in my incision about 1 week postpartum and it opened up partially. Recovery was long and I couldn't drive for almost 6 weeks. Since I didn't even labor, and because she was taken so early, I didn't even feel like I'd *delivered* a baby. I had staples with this one which allowed skin to come apart before I even had them out. I think this contributed to the infection.

#2 was a planned c/s (believe me I weighed VBAC heavily but it was not the right choice for us.) During that one, the anesthesia took too far up in my chest so I felt as though I were suffocating during part of the time. I got a skin infection about a week later this time. This time it was cellulitis and itched like mad. It started over the weekend and the on-call doc assumed it was healing-related itching and would not see me til monday. ABX cleared it up but I didn't like having so many abx coursing through me and through my breastmilk during the postpartum period. I had stitches this time, I walked more before dishcharge, and my recovery was far smoother than after #1.

#3 was also a planned c/s. THis time went much better except I'd gone into labor so it was in the middle of the night. While OB was finishing up, I actually got into an argument with her while I was on the table, as she intended to do staples bc they were faster but I wanted stitches. She got up and left, and had her assistant finish sewing me up. 2 months later I developed a hernia in my incision area. Hmmmm. Recovery was fine other than that.

I've never had a vag birth but from the sounds of it, unless you have some awful tear, you're up on your feet and back to normal far sooner. I do not regret any of my c/s, because my 1st child wouldn't have survived a vag birth and the fact she was not stillborn is nothing short of a medical miracle. I think in many cases, interventions given in routine deliveries increase the odds of a c/s and in those cases I think it's overkill. Not only that, but I've heard from others as well as in my own situation--once you've had a c/s then the scar tissue in there prohibits less invasive surgical procedures down the line. I also have an inguinal hernia that needs repair but they can't scope it because of the scar tissue. So I need far more painful surgery with more recovery time as a result. I've had that hernia for over 4 years now but have put it off because of the recovery time needed.

HTH!

Let's assume we all agree that cesarean birth is lifesaving for some mothers and babies and that we are, without exception, very grateful that it exists and grateful that we have access to this lifesaving surgery if we need it.

Surgery is riskier than a NVD. interesting example: I have a friend who was, 5 years ago, hit by a car when she was 9 months pregnant. As you can imagine, it was serious even though she was conscious.

At the hospital, the decision was made to deliver the baby. At nationally renowned top-tier university hospital, her hcps were very clear that a vaginal delivery would be safer for her than subjecting her to the additional risks of surgery. It illustrates nicely the additional risk of surgical birth.

cesarean birth is riskier for mothers - in terms of morbidity (injury/damage) and mortality (death): longer healing times, greater risk of infections, greater risk of hemorhage, greater risk of clots.

cesarean birth is riskier for babies - both in morbidity and mortality

cesarean birthed babies have higher rates of asthma and allergis

cesarean birthed babies have higher rates of breathing difficulties (even controlling for fetal distress prior to delivery, term dates etc)

here are some others:

http://www.childbirth.org/section/risks.html

You wanted factual rather than emotional, and I'm guessing informative rather than anecdotal as well, so that's what I'll try to stick to. I hope it is helpful.

First, a c-section is major abdominal surgery. It involves cutting through skin, fat, multiple layers of muscle, and then into your uterus (a huge muscle) in order to remove the baby. That is a lot of connective & support tissue that is being damaged and that must then be sewn back together to heal. Though they happen often, they are not as "routine" as many assume. Any time you have surgery, there is risk involved. With c-section there is danger to both mom and baby from anesthetic, bleeding, and infection.

Hospitals are filthy places (trust me--I work in one!) and though much is done to keep surgeries as sterile as possible, infection is *always* a risk every single time someone at the hospital breaks your skin, whether that be for an IV stick, a blood draw, an episiotomy, or a c-section. The bigger the invasion, the bigger the risk. Many nurses don't even think about this, but I do--I actually work actively to reduce total needle sticks necessary for patients even if they *aren't* immune compromised, but it is telling that it is one of the things we are supposed to think about for those who are.

If you have never had surgery before (or at least the type of anesthetic that will be used for your c-section) then you simply don't know how it will affect you. When you sign the consent, they will give you a packet of info about all the risks involved. Most people don't read those thoroughly, but everyone should, just so you are going into it with open eyes. These risks obviously are not high, but they are very real. The drugs we use to numb you (or put you out) are powerful and can sometimes cause serious side-effects. The risk is small, but it is greater than that faced by those who receive no such drugs at all. (Remember this risk is similar to, but not the same as, that faced by those who opt for an epidural)

Recovery following a c-section is, in general, harder than that following a vag birth. I know there will be people who give you anecdotal info to the contrary, but the facts are that, in general, c-sections are harder on your body and harder to recover from. Average loss of blood from a vag birth is 500 ml. Average loss from a c-section is 1500-2000 ml that alone makes a huge difference in how you will feel afterwards! This difference is usually reflected in such things as longer mandatory minimum hospital stay allowances from your insurance company for c-sec vs vag birth, and longer (8wks vs 6 wks) maternity leave minimums. These may not be relevant to your situation, but they are the way they are because c-secs really are harder on your body.

Being pregnant, and then breastfeeding, takes a lot out of your body. Adding yet another big stressor like major abdominal surgery is simply that much harder since it's sandwiched between these two other big hits on our body reserves.

There are some who believe that there are benefits to baby of passing through birth canal, including helping to empty all that moistness out of their lungs, and stimulating them to pass that meconium. We just don't have enough evidence to know this for sure, but it is something to consider and research (it's something I haven't looked into in *years* so there may be evidence out there I don't know about).

One potential issue that I don't think has been brought up--there is increased risk of fluid in the lungs for babies born by c-section. With a vaginal delivery, the pressure apparently can help to squeeze out more fluid, and with a c-section this could be an issue.

My first was the emergency c-section, and she had no lung or breathing issues, but I labored with her, so that may have been a factor. My second was elective, so no labor, and there were some scary minutes at first with all the fluid on her lungs. It's also possible that she was a little earlier than we thought (possibly exactly 39 weeks), and so the fluid may have been that. But my doctor did mention that as a possible side effect.

Otherwise, I agree with the others. It's major abdominal surgery and therefore has those risks. Recovery is different and often more difficult. Scar tissue can build up and make having more children more complicated. That said, like a previous poster, my daughter is alive and with us today because of a c-section, so I'm biased. ;) I wanted an all-natural childbirth, but that just wasn't to be. I've definitely heard the notion that it's a somehow inferior process, but I'm solidly in the camp that whatever it takes to hold your baby in your arms makes it a valid and wonderful thing. Childbirth, of all things, shouldn't be a competition.

ETA: In the time it took me to type this up, two others brought up the breathing issues. Figures! :)

Edited by ~Kirsten~

I've had 3.

#1 was at 28 weeks because my dd was almost stillborn. During the procedure my arms were pinned down straight out with straps. It was humiliating. I got an infection in my incision about 1 week postpartum and it opened up partially. Recovery was long and I couldn't drive for almost 6 weeks. Since I didn't even labor, and because she was taken so early, I didn't even feel like I'd *delivered* a baby. I had staples with this one which allowed skin to come apart before I even had them out. I think this contributed to the infection.

#2 was a planned c/s (believe me I weighed VBAC heavily but it was not the right choice for us.) During that one, the anesthesia took too far up in my chest so I felt as though I were suffocating during part of the time. I got a skin infection about a week later this time. This time it was cellulitis and itched like mad. It started over the weekend and the on-call doc assumed it was healing-related itching and would not see me til monday. ABX cleared it up but I didn't like having so many abx coursing through me and through my breastmilk during the postpartum period. I had stitches this time, I walked more before dishcharge, and my recovery was far smoother than after #1.

#3 was also a planned c/s. THis time went much better except I'd gone into labor so it was in the middle of the night. While OB was finishing up, I actually got into an argument with her while I was on the table, as she intended to do staples bc they were faster but I wanted stitches. She got up and left, and had her assistant finish sewing me up. 2 months later I developed a hernia in my incision area. Hmmmm. Recovery was fine other than that.

I've never had a vag birth but from the sounds of it, unless you have some awful tear, you're up on your feet and back to normal far sooner. I do not regret any of my c/s, because my 1st child wouldn't have survived a vag birth and the fact she was not stillborn is nothing short of a medical miracle. I think in many cases, interventions given in routine deliveries increase the odds of a c/s and in those cases I think it's overkill. Not only that, but I've heard from others as well as in my own situation--once you've had a c/s then the scar tissue in there prohibits less invasive surgical procedures down the line. I also have an inguinal hernia that needs repair but they can't scope it because of the scar tissue. So I need far more painful surgery with more recovery time as a result. I've had that hernia for over 4 years now but have put it off because of the recovery time needed.

HTH!

I've never had a c-section. My sister had three. For all three she was very tender, had difficulty with steps, couldn't cough, etc. for days if not weeks. All three of my children were born naturally, and while I know it's not so easy for everyone, I was up and showering within hours, walking within an hour. Except for the discharge (which everyone gets) and tenderness, I felt 100% better after giving birth (till my milk came in :p).

One of the biggest reasons I'm trying to have a VBAC is because of the recovery time. I was not back up and going for several weeks following my c-section, and even now my scar area is still sensitive.

Another big reason is that it can limit the number of children you have. It can be unsafe to have c-section after c-section, and if you want a large family, it can be a big issue.

It increases the likelihood of Placenta Previa.

Mostly, I just want to not have to deal with healing from major surgery while taking care of an infant and a toddler.

My first and last pregnancies resulted in c-sections.

The four in between were vbacs.

Both my c-sections resulted in blood clots that caused a lot of pain before the doctors diagnosed them and began treating them. Blood clots are very serious after delivering, and I could have died.

My first c-section also resulted in an infection in my uterus; I was hospitalized for two weeks while dh took my baby home.

It was an awful way to begin motherhood!

The blood clots returned with my last c-section and I also got pneumonia. Again, I was in the hospital for almost two weeks.

Because of my experience, it blows my mind that anyone would take a casual approach to major surgery.

I wouldn't wish a c-section on my worst enemy.

Another big reason is that it can limit the number of children you have. It can be unsafe to have c-section after c-section, and if you want a large family, it can be a big issue.

Yes, I was told after my second child that that area was very thin and was a VBAC wouldn't have been pretty. With #3, she made 1 single cut into my uterus and saw shoulder. She said "I woudn't use this uterus again." Unless we adopt, we are done for sure.

Where is the shocked emoticon???

I have had 5 sections:

#1 - 15 days past due date, footling breach, inexperienced OB who did not notice (!!), he was off on his honeymoon, another Dr. delivered and insisted on a c-sec, horrible recovery

#2 - 15 days past due date, post-maturation, amniotic fluid drying up so no more time to wait for the hoped-for v-bac, horrible recovery

#3 - 8 days past due date, pre-eclampsia, even more horrible recovery

#4 - scheduled c-sec 1 week past due date (did not want the baby to be rushed!), most horrible recovery because I was too busy to stop and "recover" - bled too long, suture issues, etc.

#5 - scheduled c-sec 1 week past due date, back to just a horrible recovery, for which I was grateful!!

Don't get me wrong - I can't say that the doctors were wrong as there were good reasons for each c-section, but I can't say I was perfectly happy! Perfectly happy would have meant a normal, healthy vaginal delivery, kwim?

Other than that, I think that all the previous posters have made a good case for natural being safest and best under normal circumstances, and c-sections being the best option for many difficult circumstances. But I have heard of some women having "elective"- c-sections and I was really quite surprised. Seems very risky to me!!! This article lists some of the pros and cons.

C-sections leave scar tissue. That can make subsequent deliveries of any kind more difficult. I have had 4 c-sections. All of them textbook and recovery, while longer than natural was still pretty easy. I have also seen horror story recoveries. I am thankful for c-sections. My first could very well have died had she gone through the birth canal. Low platelets. I can't remember your exact situation, however, if a section is necessary, all I can say is, take the pain meds religiously and get up as soon as possible. The dr credits this for my amazing recovery from my first. [i wanted to be discharged early as she was in another hospital.]

I do wonder what would have happened had I opted for a mid-wife and a totally natural approach to my first baby. I wonder if all of the interventions led to me having 4 sections. I won't know, but if I could do it again, I would slow down the intervention process.

Good luck with your decision. :grouphug:

Thank you for all of the information. Like I said, I have always delivered vag but I have several friends who are c-section evangelists! One actually said that they were so awesome she cannot imagine why anyone would bother with a vag delivery!

I've had three.

#1- My twins had TTTS and it is the preferred method of delivery due to the risk of acute transfusion. They were 10 weeks early. I was up and walking around that night despite being on restrictive bedrest for 16 weeks.

#2- Another c-section- again, I healed fine but the baby swallowed some blood coming out. She had a sore throat from being suctioned so much and so deeply. Breast feeding was an issue because of this and I had to pump until she was ready to give it a try.

#3- 13 weeks ago. I had it planned on Wednesday and went into labor on Monday. The surgery went fine, but since I wasn't nervous this time I really was aware that I was butt ass naked past the sheet they hang at your neck. I could see my reflection in the light. Although my baby was full term at 38 weeks and 3 days, he had some fluid on his lungs- common for c-section babies (and one of the section risks) and had to go to the NICU for observation for 4 hours instead of staying with me in recovery. I had talked to the administration about doing his check-in, first bath, etc... with me. So, yet again, I ended up using a pump for my first nursing session.

The recoveries for each of mine were easy but I do have a high pain tolerance. The 2nd time I did have AWFUL constipation (common for abdominal surgery) and nearly went to the ER I was in so much pain. Third time I around, I knew to avoid it and took preventative measures.

I would have preferred to have vaginal births, and sometimes I wish I had had a VBAC, but I have the same thoughts you expressed. It isn't my life's disappointment not to have had the experience. I am not less of a woman or mother. Having had lived through a 6 month NICU nightmare with my micropreemie who did die at 9 months old, I know that in reality, the goal is a healthy baby.

Ditto to the pain meds and getting up and moving. With my first I was going down to the NICU to see my babies and just didn't take the pain meds like I should've. Late that 2nd night I was in alot of pain once my overdoing it caught up with me.

I've never had a c-section. My sister had three. For all three she was very tender, had difficulty with steps, couldn't cough, etc. for days if not weeks..

I had a C section and took a total of 2 tabs of 5 mg oxycodone for pain. That was it. A friend delivered 3 days before, ripped through her anal sphincter, and 9 months later was still complaining of pain in the area.

My baby needed one. I am fine with it, and don't feel any less like "a whole woman" for having one. Baby had done everything but crown (his eyebrows caught, and forceps and two suction attempts failed to dislodge him), so I was actually sorer down there than where I had the surgery.

HTH

There is a lot of information here. I will add some things that are uncomfortable. Having uncontrolable nausea while the dr is stitching you up seems as if it is taking forever. The pain is so bad afterwards in the first day it seems there is not enough medication to bring comfort. If you don't pass gas they will give you a laxative that glues you to the toilet. If I ever go through that again I will get a fake tooter, eat beans or something.

Thank you for all of the information. Like I said, I have always delivered vag but I have several friends who are c-section evangelists! One actually said that they were so awesome she cannot imagine why anyone would bother with a vag delivery!

Wow, I can't imagine! LOL I had two emergency c-sections after long labors and then pushing for several hours. It was exhausting and harrowing, but I would much rather have tried for vaginal deliveries. C-sections are not fun and I wouldn't electively have one. Different strokes for your friends, I guess!

C-sections leave scar tissue. :grouphug:

My one and only child was born via c-section. I had a previous surgery and an issue with scar tissue threw me into labor 3 weeks early. Thankfully he was fine, but my c-section was more involved than a normal one. I was hospitalized for a week, he got to go home before I did. I have scar tissue from the c-section and my abs feel like chop liver. The doctor highly recommended we not have any more children. After the whole experience I was quite fine with that.

ETA: Oh yeah, I was in labor for almost 3 days before they decided to do the surgery, it was the weekend.

C section babies are more likely to have breathing issues, and apparently, breastfeeding issues (due to the surgery and pain and often delay in breastfeeding).

The mother is more likely to have future fertility issues (due to the abdominal surgery) and post partum depression, as well as low self worth if they were wanting a vaginal birth.

I suspect that the hormones released during the intense vaginal birth are designed to prepare both mother and baby.

I know cranio sacral massage therapists who say that our heads are meant to be squeezed through the vaginal canal and it does things to our nervous system that prepare us for life.

The pain and recovery issues have been covered- I know my own experience was a very fast recovery from both births (vaginal). I tore a little with the first, but the nurses were surpised that it was healed within 2 days. I took homeopathics though (arnica). Honestly, I was so high from the birth experience and having my baby in my arms, I didnt even notice the tearing.

I also think that with a C section, the baby doesn't get to decide when to be born...the doctors do, and I think that is sigificant. Even in utero babies are sensitive and very aware, and being yanked out before the whole hormonal cascade that naturally precipitates their birth, is bound to have an effect- albeit a subtle and at this stage probably unprovable one.

I dont think science has begun to understand the subtleties of the whole issue because everyone agrees that an alive baby (and mother) is better than dead- who can argue with that?

My one and only child was born via c-section. I had a previous surgery and an issue with scar tissue threw me into labor 3 weeks early. Thankfully he was fine, but my c-section was more involved than a normal one. I was hospitalized for a week, he got to go home before I did. I have scar tissue from the c-section and my abs feel like chop liver. The doctor highly recommended we not have any more children. After the whole experience I was quite fine with that.

ETA: Oh yeah, I was in labor for almost 3 days before they decided to do the surgery, it was the weekend.

Yeah, I feel pretty fortunate to be one of those who, according to my last ob, could have as many sections as I wanted. I don't develop scar tissue the same as others. My uterus is still, I don't know the word for it, but it not the uterus of a woman with 4 sections. I am glad. I still wonder though. However, I am grateful for these kids and don't care how I got 'em. :D

:grouphug: To all. No matter how we had our babies, we are all rockin' mamas.

I had a vag. with DD and we almost lost her in delivery. She was 5 weeks early and coming sunny-side up. Basically her little body gave out in the birthing canal. She had to be revived. The pounding to remove the fluid and tough time in the birthing canal led DD to be bruised from head to toe. This bruising led to severe jaundice. During this delivery I broke my tailbone and sat on a donut for several weeks. I also had over 30 stitches. Not pretty.

With DS I opted for a c-section. I had a hard enough time getting DD out I feared I would not get a term baby out. DS was also measuring 2 pounds heavier than DD. My c-section went swimmingly once the spinal was in. It took 4 tries (yes four pokes into my spine with a needle). This was no one's fault as my spine was compressed due to a previous accident. I was actually up and walking four hours after the surgery was over. I went home in 48 hours. I spent the same amount of time in the hospital with DD due to my broken tail bone and residual problems she had from delivery. When home, I took nothing more than ibuprofen for pain. Also, I used lots of ice packs and I think this helped to keep swelling to a minimum.

I did not feel less of a woman or a mother because I opted for a section. I feel like I assesed the situation and did what was best for my baby. :D

I think C-sections should be Plan B. But if you have to have one, one should not feel bad that it was necessary. There are so many reasons and situations that it is best left to a woman and the best medical advice she can get.

I've only had a C-section and it was definitely Plan B, but it was fine and I had confidence in my OB that it was necessary. I do think women have a different experience if they go through labor for hours hoping for a vaginal birth and then have the C-section vs if they go straight to C-section. As a friend told me of her experience, then you have the worse of both.

I've had natural, and back-to-back c/s. The recovery time is awful. Especially the first 24 hours. Demerol was my best friend. And I have trouble with taking tylenol.

I don't know if anyone else here had this problem, but my last baby was over 10lbs, and as a result, I am now the proud owner of a "Mommy apron". I was completely unware that this happened, and was shocked and saddened to learn of others who had experienced this. Basically, it looks like my abdomen slid off my body, and it grossly hangs. No amount of dieting in the world will get it to go away, and my doc tells me that plastic surgery can fix it. I hate the idea of surgery more than the apron, so it's now another proud 'battlescar' of motherhood. I apologize if this is TMI, but it was something I would have wanted to know (to at least prepare for!) prior to having a c/s.

I've had natural, and back-to-back c/s. The recovery time is awful. Especially the first 24 hours. Demerol was my best friend. And I have trouble with taking tylenol.

I don't know if anyone else here had this problem, but my last baby was over 10lbs, and as a result, I am now the proud owner of a "Mommy apron". I was completely unware that this happened, and was shocked and saddened to learn of others who had experienced this. Basically, it looks like my abdomen slid off my body, and it grossly hangs. No amount of dieting in the world will get it to go away, and my doc tells me that plastic surgery can fix it. I hate the idea of surgery more than the apron, so it's now another proud 'battlescar' of motherhood. I apologize if this is TMI, but it was something I would have wanted to know (to at least prepare for!) prior to having a c/s.

That's funny, b/c I didn't get mine until I gained a lot of weight after several losses. I did not get one from my actual surgeries.

oh is that c/s related??? I've got that too. Fun times!

Regarding another poster's comments. Yes... the constipation! You're constipated from the surgery AND you're too cut up to push. Memories.

That's funny, b/c I didn't get mine until I gained a lot of weight after several losses. I did not get one from my actual surgeries.

I did gain a lot with the last one. He was over 10lbs, and I had PIH/pre-eclampsia (I looked like Violet from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - minus the blue hue). He was born at exactly 37 weeks because of the PIH. I've never in my life been as big as I was with that child. At the 6-week check up I asked the doctor when I could expect it to go away. His response? Unless you have surgery, it's there to stay. I lost all of my weight and then some, and it has never gone away.

Something I didn't see listed: Our chiropractor says that a vaginal delivery (without forceps or vacuum) is better for babies' spines and overall health. If you have to have a medically necessary C-section, it's probably a good idea to get your baby "adjusted" after birth.

I had a c-section with Nathan and a V-BAC with Ben. Both were painful.

It took me over two weeks to heal from my C-section (Nathan seemed stuck and his heart rate was getting lower. He had a hematoma on his head). I remember being so upset that I was so tired when they brought him in to me after I was brought to my room after the surgery. I was so tired I didn't want to even bother with him. I cry every time I remember that apathy. I was also too sore to pick him up. It was horrible. I remember being in excruciating pain.

With Ben, I ended up getting a vaginal hematoma -- it hurt so very bad. I was in excruciating pain, and I also remember John getting annoyed that I hadn't healed as quickly as most women who have had vaginal births. I don't think I was ready to push -- I never had an urge, but I think the midwife/nurse knew I was growing weary and tired (6 hours of laboring standing up under a shower).

So, both were horrendous for me. But, I would choose the vaginal any day.

FWI -- John's first wife (Aaron's bio mom) had a C-section b/c he was breech, and she said she'd take a c-section any day.

I haven't read the whole thread, so someone else may have mentioned this, but it often gets overlooked:

C-sections increase the risk of future pregnancies, and can limit family size. So you don't see the full consequences of that 1st c-section with that baby, but with future babies as the family grows. In future deliveries, doctors often recommend routine repeat c-section to avoid the risk of uterine rupture, but I think uterine rupture still sometimes (rarely) happens before labor. And most doctors won't let you have more than 3 or 4 babies via c-section, because the uterus can only take so much surgery. For a woman who wants the possibility of having a bigger family, that is a big deal.

I had to have dd via emergency c-section because I had severe pre-eclampsia, and since I'm an epileptic, that put us both at high risk. I wanted a natural, vaginal birth, and am disappointed that I didn't get it. However, the surgery went fine, I had very little pain afterwards, and I was up and walking around the next day. I don't think the recovery could possibly have gone any better. I think a big part of it is the skill of the OB, and mine's a rockstar. :D

IMO and mine only:

C/S are wonderful in emergencies. They shouldn't be routine birthing due to the fact that is MAJOR surgery. For me I didn't like having my child be exposed to the sedatives and whatnot. For me the fact that it was major surgery and that there is enough danger associated with it because of the surgery aspect.

I had an emergency and I am still traumatized from my birth and feel like I missed out on a crucial aspect of womahood/motherhood.

I highly recommend checking out The Business of Being Born.

In regards to my c/s: i had horrible pain afterward, i could hardly walk for 3 days post surgery, was on percocet and 800mg motrin for 2 1/2 weeks because anytime I held dd to nurse her (medication was approved to take while nursing) it killed my incision. I had fevers that spiked to almost 103 for the first few days at home.

OP, it is fact that statistically, c-sections result in longer, more difficult recoveries.

Anecdotally, that was also true for me; I had a section for breech and then four vbacs.

I would not "choose" one without a medical reason, though that's an oxymoron, because if there's a true medical reason, there isn't a whole lot of choice. Sure there are gray areas, but what I'm saying is that I would never schedule a section for no reason at all, and yet if one were "medically necessary" I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You have to weigh the risks of your particular circumstances.

As for why women usually say to try to avoid a section, I can only speak for myself (having had everything from drug-free vaginal delivery to epidurals to the section), and the reason has absolutely nothing to do with a section not being "natural". The risks of sections, which have been mentioned in many of the above posts, are easily google-able.

Good luck and best wishes for an easy and safe delivery :)

ETA: here you go, first up from google:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/cesarean-section-risks-and-complications

http://www.childbirth.org/section/risks.html

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/240_1031.asp

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/cesareanrisks.html

that ought to cover it ;)

Edited by wapiti

I don't know if it's the same across the board, but my aunt wasn't covered by her car insurance for six weeks after having her c-section.

My sister in law said a friend of hers felt all out of whack after having a c-section, and didn't feel right again until having a VBAC with her second. It was as though the vaginal birth re-set her system. I don't know if that makes any sense to any of you, but I'm happy not to have had any such experience. My SIL also had trouble bonding with her bub after an emergency c-section. She was too drugged up for the first week of his life.

I think my body knows far more about itself than any doctor, so I prefer to keep doctors far away until my body shouts for help.

Rosie

I had an emergency c-section with my first at 38 weeks. He spent 14 days in the nicu due to fluid on his lungs. Recovery wasn't too bad although I hurt but it wasn't really horrible.

I had a c-section with the twins for two reasons. One: Twin A had a torn placenta that tore at 14 weeks due to a part of his placenta formed on the previous c-section scar. I was on bed rest for the next 22 weeks with blood transfusions every other day. Two: Twin A was breech. Both twins spent 14-28 days in the nicu due to fluid on the lungs. Twin B developed rsv 4 weeks after release from nicu and now has damaged lungs. Recovery was horrible from the second c-section. Not sure if it's because I had twins plus an older child but I was in pain for months. I couldn't even carry the infant car seats with the babies in them. I also had to stay in the hospital for 8 days and received blood transfusions every day.

Now at 5 1/2 years later my doctor says I'm healed enough to try for another baby. I still have no feeling in areas on my abdominal area and I still have random pains that are horrible at times. Doing crunches or sit ups is pure torture for me. Seriously I need to take a narcotic pain reliever after doing any form of exercise that involves the abdominal area.

Babies were not designed to be cut out of us. We were not designed to be cut into. That's my chief vote against C-section: it's common sense. Babies delivered by C-section are more likely to have respiratory problems. C-section is classed as major abdominal surgery, and that is never something you want to do unless necessary. C-sections waste limited medical resources on something unecessary.

That said, like chemo and a million other medical nasties that we aren't designed for, C-sections can save lives. That's what they're there for, and should be used for.

Nikki

1 homebirth, 40 weeks, perfectly healthy baby

1 emergency C-section for complete placenta previa, 36.5 weeks, breathing problems and jaundice.

I had a c/s with my twins, as the lower twin was breech; I tried for a VBAC with my ds1, labored for 24 hours, and then had a 2nd c/s; then I had 3 successful VBACs.

Recovery from c/s #1 was fine, quick, easy, etc--but I was 19! And I was so dopey afterwards--the pictures show me smiling, but clearly not all there.

Recovery from c/s # 2 was not quite as quick and easy, which I attribute to the fact that I had labored med-free for 24 hours beforehand; I was tired out! Plus, the Dr. had prescribed morphine for me, and I begged them to give me something else--I hated the way it made me feel. I think they decided to just start me on the normal oral pain meds earlier, as I was handling the pain ok.

Recovery from VBAC # 1 was the worst of the three, because I tore; sitting down wasn't fun for a couple of weeks. ;)

Recovery from VBACs #2 and 3 were great.

My experience is that planned c/s are easier at the moment than vag. births, but that you're not really quite yourself for a day or two afterwards, due to meds and SORE tummy. The VBACs, by contrast, were awful at the moment (painwise), but when the birth is over, it's over, and you're alert, and high from birthing hormones, and ready to love up your new little one. :D

Even tho' I had good experiences with both my c/s, I would still tell anyone who opted for a c/s for a non-medical reason to seriously think about why she was doing it. The benefits from vag. delivery are real, both to mom and baby. If I were having another baby, it'd be a VBAC all the way. :)

like chemo and a million other medical nasties that we aren't designed for, C-sections can save lives. That's what they're there for, and should be used for.

:iagree: Edited by Caitilin
added quote

I don't know if it's the same across the board, but my aunt wasn't covered by her car insurance for six weeks after having her c-section.

Yes, you are legally not suppsed to drive for 6 weeks. For those with older kids to get around the place- 6 weeks is a long time.

My sister in law said a friend of hers felt all out of whack after having a c-section, and didn't feel right again until having a VBAC with her second. It was as though the vaginal birth re-set her system. I don't know if that makes any sense to any of you, but I'm happy not to have had any such experience. My SIL also had trouble bonding with her bub after an emergency c-section. She was too drugged up for the first week of his life.

Thats what I was meanign by the effect of the hormonal cascade that happens for both mum and bub during the birthing process. I dont think we have begun to understand the consequences of interfering with that.

I think my body knows far more about itself than any doctor, so I prefer to keep doctors far away until my body shouts for help.

Rosie

Yup, thats my line of thought, too.

I agree with the others--major abdominal surgery with it's inherent risks, scar tissue, fewer pregnancies, etc. One thing that I think is really scary is that your risk of placenta accreta/excreta goes up considerably with each c-section. I can't remember the numbers, but by the fourth c-section the risk is staggering. (Pushed by Jennifer Block is an excellent read on this subject.)

It can affect things postpartum too. The baby can't always stay with mom if she's recovering from major surgery, breastfeeding can definitely be affected in a number of ways. I believe the risk of PPD is higher in post c-section moms.

I had an emergency c-section under general anesthesia for placental abruption. The recovery was much more difficult than my two prior births (an epidural birth and a med-free birth). It was a good 6-8 weeks before I felt good again and even longer before I felt 'normal'. I'm grateful that I had that technology available to me because it saved my daughter's life and possibly mine. I believe that they have their place in the general medical tool set, but they are definitely overused by and large.

I am a C-section baby myself, and have seen my share of healthy kids, who would not have had a chance had it not been for a section.

That being said, I had a enlightening experience for our last baby:

After a very tough pregnancy with extremely severe Hyperemesis, the doctors decided to provoke. I was only 35 week along, baby was doing perfectly well. The state I was in was terrible - I was like a walking skeleton, not strong enough to stand up longer than a short moment. Given the condition I was in, and the related health problems I had been through, me, dh, ...just about anyone...was sure they would deliver the baby by Cesarian.

Well, the docs decided, that there was no question, it had to be vaginal! They explained us in detail, how I might not make it through a major operation, which a C-section is...!

I was amazed, as I had, until then, always considered a Cesarian very "mangeable", with just the "hypothetical" risks, docs are supposed to mention for insurances' sake...

Edited by sahm99

I see naked people for a living, and plenty of women get these, C sec or no. Some hang to the knees. The surgery is not horrific...you do not go into the abdominal cavity, you breach no big muscle group, and you part no bones.

My first delivery was vaginal but after an induction (due to membrane rupture) and failed epidural. I had an episiotomy and I found that harder to recover from than my c-section. I was also much younger then. :-)

My first c-section ended up being an emergency after another failed induction. I evidently react badly to either inductions, epidurals or labor in general because my blood pressure crashes and I start passing out. I was very out of it for about 12 hours after this c-section but didn't have any problems with healing or pain.

My second c-section was planned and this was also the only time I went into labor on my own - 5 days before my planned c-section. None of my kids believe in following a plan including for their birth. :D This recovery was a breeze - no real pain, I was up taking a shower the same day.

Both my c-sections, I left the hospital at least one day early. I can't stand being in the hospital and I did much better at home. It is major surgery and there's always some risk of complications so it's not something that should be taken lightly.

My first three births were sections. The surgery was fine. My problem is that after each, I discovered a new *drug* allergy and nearly died from anaphylactic shock after my third. The drug that time? Naproxen Sodium, Anaprox, same thing as Alleve.

I thought the comment re: sections and PPD was interesting. I had pretty bad cases of PPD after each section, requiring anti-depressants.

My last three births were completely drug and intervention free vbacs. I, interestingly enough, had NO PPD after those births.

I think there is a place for surgical birth, but I think most surgical births in my circle are *elective* and not *necessary*. Sadly, I know a few friends who have some horror stories of things gone wrong.

I will never have an *elective* surgery, because I have too many drug allergies.

My C-section recovery was no picnic - maybe because I was bedridden for 4 weeks prior? In any event, mine was definitely medically necessary so I don't care to get into anything else.

Oh, the PPD thing - I think I had it worse the first time, not after my C-section. I'm very prone to depression anyway so again... my response on that may not count either!

I'm going to offer some links that will lead you to evidence-based, peer reviewed information, because the plural of anecdote is not data;).

http://ican-online.org/

http://www.motherfriendly.org/

But here's my anecdote, because they sure are fun. I have had three babies at home. It hurt and then it was over and everyone was happy and whole. There was a lot in between that I can't articulate very well. Birth occurs in a context, and it's the context that matters as much as the actual moment when baby is no longer inside mama. I bristle at the statement, "All that matters is a healthy mom and baby." Psychological health is part of overall health, and we ought to let a woman grieve over her birth experience if that's what she seems to need. Also, why not have both? Why not have safe birth and peaceful birth? An emergency surgical delivery can still respect the family, but too often we hear stories where families feel disrespected. To say that we can have safe or empowering is to let the system off the hook for not being what it should.

Edited by Quickbeam

In some circles there is, yes, a snobbery that disdains C-sections. Ignore it.

On the other hand, if you detect that the doctor(s) incline toward c-sections simply for their own wishes, run to another doctor.

As already posted, major abdominal surgery has potential for serious problems. "Potential" does not, however, mean "inevitable."

I have had four C-sections. The doctors would have allowed me up to six before asking me to forgo having additional children. The first labour lasted sixteen hours and the baby could not be moved nor turned, nor assisted with forceps. So, a C-section. The doctors allowed me to labour for ten hours with the second baby who, like big brother before him, was "stuck". I credit them for allowing VBAC attempt. For the third baby, the doctors told me just to meet them at the hospital when labour began, and I would have a c-section. . . . For baby #4, we lived in a different state. The doctors were nasty people, always trying to coerce me into having my tubes tied, and making cracks about large families. (4 dc is NOT a "large" family, folks !) They insisted on scheduling dd's birth surgery.

Recovery was quick and easy for me, all times. I returned to housework and regular tasks within a few days of returning home. (no heavy lifting, of course) Scars are almost invisible, thanks to persistent applying of Vitamin E oil following surgery.

A C-section has its appropriate use. I would have no living children without the procedure.