Menu

American Heritage Girls vs Girl Scouts. Opinions?

Really?

This is from the AHG website [italics are mine, and I changed the text color to blue so that you see what is their text clearly, as opposed to what is my text]:

The AHG Creed:

As an American Heritage Girl, I promise to be:

Compassionate - Understanding others in fellowship, empathy, kindness, and caring. Respect others' opinions and emotions.

Helpful - Willingly serve others.

Honest - Always tell the truth and keep my promise.

Loyal - True to God, family, friends, community and country.

Perseverant - Continuing to strive toward a goal despite obstacles.

Pure - Keep my mind and body pure.

Resourceful - Wisely use my time, materials and talents.

Respectful - Honor my country, be obedient to those in authority and courteous to all.

Responsible - Accountable for my own actions. Reliable in all situations.

Reverent - Faithful and honoring to God. Respectful to the beliefs of others.

And then, they have this clarification on their statement of faith page:

Clarity is further provided to the following terms:

Purity – An AHG member is called to live a life of holiness, being pure of heart, mind, word and deed, reserving sexual activity for the sanctity of marriage; marriage being a lifelong commitment before God between a man and a woman.

I don't recall ever saying that the girls were required to sign anything in my earlier post.

However, if you are stating that these above statements do not qualify as a Purity Plegde, I respectfully disagree.

Sounds an awful lot like a purity pledge to me.

The Creed is for the girls to say and I disagree that it is a purity pledge. How you keep your mind and body pure is a personal decision. It's something that you discuss with your parents if need be. Pure has lots of meanings, including to be without guilt, to be blameless. I don't discuss with my young girls that being pure means having no sex. We talk about how we should be careful about what see and do, as we want to have pure minds. I understand why you would you see it as a purity pledge, because the girls are making a promise to do those things. But again, I think it is how you interpret the word pure.

The part that you labeled as clarity has nothing to do with the girls Creed. That is part of the statement of faith that is for registered adults.

The following Statement of Faith applies to all American Heritage Girls' Charter Organizations, Adult Members and Adult Leaders.

I know this thread is a year old but --- this sounds like an adult leader couldn't be an adult leader if said adult was single and in a s3xual relationship.

Am I reading that correctly?

I'm w/RegularMom -- it sounds like a purity pledge.

We prefer AHG, and just to put it out there, if there is no troop nearby to you (I think within 60 miles, or something like that), you can join as a Trailblazer. That's what DD and I are doing this year.

Also, when I went to the home page of the site, there is an announcement that the Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Rockford, IL endorses AHG, so it must be pretty Catholic friendly.

I know this thread is a year old but --- this sounds like an adult leader couldn't be an adult leader if said adult was single and in a s3xual relationship.

Am I reading that correctly?

I'm w/RegularMom -- it sounds like a purity pledge.

And if it was? Christian based, biblical based group. If it doesn't interest someone, walk away. ;) There is always Girl Scouts. :D

I find it really interesting that everybody is talking about how "political" and "politically correct" GS are (which may or may not be true, I don't know), when the AHG pledge defines marriage in a political, contentious way ("marriage being a lifelong commitment before God between a man and a woman"). Sounds like conservative political correctness, to me.

I find it really interesting that everybody is talking about how "political" and "politically correct" GS are (which may or may not be true, I don't know), when the AHG pledge defines marriage in a political, contentious way.

:iagree: I think people are confusing "political" either with "liberal" or with "not what my family thinks." The parent organizations of both these organizations (and Frontier Girls too, though in a different way) all have a definite liberal or conservative slant to them, they're just appealing to people on different points in the spectrum. The only parent organization website that looks noncommittal on this batch of oddly intertwined liberal-conservative, religious-what religion-no religion set of issues is Camp Fire, at least based on 2 minutes' worth of research.

ETA-- Never mind; Camp Fire programs aim to "reduce sex-role, racial and cultural stereotypes and to foster positive intercultural relationships," which probably makes them too liberal for some.

Edited by msk

American Heritage Girls - hands down.

Too much political and behind the scenes agenda going on with Girl Scouts. :(

I've heard people say this here before but I don't know that anyone has actually said what their objections are. I do know at the local level there are good troops and bad troops and it just depends on your leader. As a GS leader, our troop has gone camping ( a lot, and moms have always been welcome), worked on outdoor cooking, done service projects, did crafts, and have gone on field trips. Another local troop got together and watched High School Musical:confused: so it really does depend on the leaders.

I've heard people say this here before but I don't know that anyone has actually said what their objections are. I do know at the local level there are good troops and bad troops and it just depends on your leader. As a GS leader, our troop has gone camping ( a lot, and moms have always been welcome), worked on outdoor cooking, done service projects, did crafts, and have gone on field trips. Another local troop got together and watched High School Musical:confused: so it really does depend on the leaders.

Usually, when people talk about the political aspect, it's in regards to the GS being in partnership with Planned Parenthood and the likes. I know that's a huge reason why we decided not to go with GS. They're usually talking about the national and worldwide leadership decisions of GS/GG, rather than the local troops.

Usually, when people talk about the political aspect, it's in regards to the GS being in partnership with Planned Parenthood and the likes. I know that's a huge reason why we decided not to go with GS. They're usually talking about the national and worldwide leadership decisions of GS/GG, rather than the local troops.

Do you have any specifics on this? The only PP issue that I had heard about was disputed by GSA.

This is always going to bring strong feelings either way, but to answer the original poster's question..for our family AHG is the only choice.

As the Bible states we (believers) are not of this world...so therefore we are not to adhere to the conformity of this world...we seek out activities for our children that support and encourage their faith through service to the community, one another, growing skills and devotion to family. We are drawn to these tenets in a large part based on our faith...to be with a group of girls to share these common threads is very encouraging to their faith...things of the world are not encouraging as a whole...look at the various lyrics of any popular musical artist or television show themes...

To have a group where believers can share and grow their faith and service to others is a win-win in our book. Those with alternative views have alternatives...those with similar views have alternatives...the Bible states the 'world' will hate you....but it does not change the directive we have to honor God and proclaim what has been revealed to us as truths and the reason we make the decisions we do.

Do you have any specifics on this? The only PP issue that I had heard about was disputed by GSA.

is a YouTube video with Kathy Cloninger who was the CEO of GSUSA at the time it was taped saying they partner with PP. Here is a picture/screenshot of the WAGGS delegation to a UN conference. And here is a blog that lists the concerns of some people.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I want to correct a few misconceptions. First, the idea that Girl Scouts don't do community service. I've been a Brownie/Jr leader for three years and every year my girls have done multiple community service projects---stockings for Salvation Army, pet food drives, canned food drives, making cat toys for the Humane Society, etc. My daughter this year earned her Bronze Award, the highest service award a Junior Girl Scout can earn, requiring at least 15 hours of work. Silver and Gold awards require much more. Every badge I've seen has at least one activity option (girls choose 6 of 10 at the Jr level for each badge) which is a community service activity.

I have also not seen a focus on "decadent trips" in our area. Of course, "decadent" would need to be more fully defined. A trip to Savannah to Juliette Gordon Lowe's birthplace, the founder of Girl Scouting, is one I have heard of several troops doing, but I don't consider that "decadent." We have used our cookie money to make our troop as self-supporting as possible, per the aim of Girl Scouts--covering re-registrations, books, fees for the service unit camporee, etc. We have not done any makeup parties, though I am considering something to a local beautician to talk about healthy skin and hair care as the girls enter tween ages.

There is also no such thing as an individual girl's cookie money. All money earned in fundraisers goes into a pot for the entire troop per GSUSA guidelines. There are no individual Scout accounts as in Boy Scouts. When my daughter switched troops (when we formed ours), she took no cookie money with her. She won't when she moves into a different troop this year (she's the only one of an age to bridge up to the next level). There is the option for a girl who sells a substantial number of cookies to individually earn "cookie dough" as an incentive in addition to the money the troop makes, which she can then spend for camp, etc, but that is at a pretty high number of boxes sold.

My troop includes Jews, Christians, Neopagans, Muslims, atheists and agnostics (and some about whom I have no idea). I encourage all the girls who so desire to pursue the religious award associated with their religion and/or denomination. The upshot is, if someone is looking for a group that specifically and exclusively promotes a conservative Christian worldview and explicitly and overtly focuses every activity on Jesus, then no, Girl Scouts will likely not be a perfect fit.

Edited by KarenNC

The upshot is, if someone is looking for a group that specifically and exclusively promotes a conservative Christian worldview and explicitly and overtly focuses every activity on Jesus, then no, Girl Scouts will likely not be a perfect fit.

Are you implying that this is the case with AHG? Because that has no been my experience. Have you looked at an AHG book or attended a meeting? Yes, it is a Christian organization. However, how conservative it is will depend upon the flavor of the troop.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I want to correct a few misconceptions. First, the idea that Girl Scouts don't do community service. I've been a Brownie/Jr leader for three years and every year my girls have done multiple community service projects---stockings for Salvation Army, pet food drives, canned food drives, making cat toys for the Humane Society, etc. My daughter this year earned her Bronze Award, the highest service award a Junior Girl Scout can earn, requiring at least 15 hours of work. Silver and Gold awards require much more. Every badge I've seen has at least one activity option (girls choose 6 of 10 at the Jr level for each badge) which is a community service activity.

I have also not seen a focus on "decadent trips" in our area. Of course, "decadent" would need to be more fully defined. A trip to Savannah to Juliette Gordon Lowe's birthplace, the founder of Girl Scouting, is one I have heard of several troops doing, but I don't consider that "decadent." We have used our cookie money to make our troop as self-supporting as possible, per the aim of Girl Scouts--covering re-registrations, books, fees for the service unit camporee, etc. We have not done any makeup parties, though I am considering something to a local beautician to talk about healthy skin and hair care as the girls enter tween ages.

There is also no such thing as an individual girl's cookie money. All money earned in fundraisers goes into a pot for the entire troop per GSUSA guidelines. There are no individual Scout accounts as in Boy Scouts. When my daughter switched troops (when we formed ours), she took no cookie money with her. She won't when she moves into a different troop this year (she's the only one of an age to bridge up to the next level). There is the option for a girl who sells a substantial number of cookies to individually earn "cookie dough" as an incentive in addition to the money the troop makes, which she can then spend for camp, etc, but that is at a pretty high number of boxes sold.

My troop includes Jews, Christians, Neopagans, Muslims, atheists and agnostics (and some about whom I have no idea). I encourage all the girls who so desire to pursue the religious award associated with their religion and/or denomination. The upshot is, if someone is looking for a group that specifically and exclusively promotes a conservative Christian worldview and explicitly and overtly focuses every activity on Jesus, then no, Girl Scouts will likely not be a perfect fit.

I know several GS troops that keep money raised with the girl.

Are you implying that this is the case with AHG? Because that has no been my experience. Have you looked at an AHG book or attended a meeting? Yes, it is a Christian organization. However, how conservative it is will depend upon the flavor of the troop.

I am saying exactly what I said. If one is looking for a constantly-Jesus-focused, conservative Christian worldview experience (which I have heard a number of folks say they want, both online and IRL), one is unlikely to find it in a Girl Scout troop which is following GSUSA policies and practices. As with the individual Scout accounts True Blue references, you may find individual troops who are doing their own thing despite GSUSA and provide that sort of atmosphere, but, well, that's not the norm.:) Of course, neither is it the norm, at least around here, for the kind of ultra-politically leftist, "let's have a fun field trip to the abortion clinic for the Daisies on our way to the day spa for the 5th time" experience that some people seem to think GS is (so if someone *is* looking for that, sorry to disappoint;)).

One may or may not find it in AHG, Frontier Girls, etc. I don't know firsthand, which is why I did not say one could. I know those are the groups where the people who describe wanting that sort of worldview say they have found a good fit. No one organization works for everyone, nor should it be expected to do so.

You're right; the relationship was disputed.

There is no partnership between Planned Parenthood and GSUSA. That video w/the GSUSA president was from 2004 when a local GS council was associated with PP. A local council could conceivably partner with PP but the national GSs do not.

Edited by unsinkable

is a YouTube video with Kathy Cloninger who was the CEO of GSUSA at the time it was taped saying they partner with PP. Here is a picture/screenshot of the WAGGS delegation to a UN conference. And here is a blog that lists the concerns of some people.

And

is a statement from a spokesperson from GSUSA that states there is no relationship.

Every family's values are different and like a PP said, some other organizations may be a better fit for some families. Having said that, after very briefly comparing what is on that blog with the GS matierials I have available at my house right now (my troop and I JUST moved up to Juniors), it looks like the author is trying really hard to make things look objectionable when they are just...not. At least I can't find anything wrong with the actual GS mateials. The 2 examples in the book I have here are:

AMUSE pages 50-51, material for 4th-5th grade Girl Scouts - GSUSA highlights the play, Simply Maria. This play mocks childbirth, motherhood, homemaking, purity and marriage. Check out the excerpts and see if you agree…this is NOT a play for young girls. Why is Girl Scouts promoting by name an adult themed play, which many families find highly offensive?
When you go to page 50-51, you find a little bio of the author of the play, Josephina Lopez, discussing how she felt oppressed growing up in her household because women served the men first at meals. She went on to write about it in her play, Simply Maria, which won a playwriting contest when she was 18. There are no excerpts of the play or anything about it's content other than it is a comedy that discusses the girl's conflict between tradition and dreams. I don't see anything to worry about there.

AMUSE page 24 – GSUSA promotes the dance group Urban Bush Women. See the review including comments from the choreographer about the group's recent production of Zollar: Uncensored. "The choreographer said the presentation will be a collection of segments ... all of them exploring themes of eroticism and sensuality.“ http://www.niaonline.com/ggmsblog/?p=3187

Now, page 24 in it's entirety:

A Dancer Who Dazzles

Bennaldra "Benny" Williams performs for a modern dance company in Brooklyn, New York, called the Urban Bush Women. The company's dancers are all black women. Some are tall, some are short, some are thin, and some aren't. They also range in skin tone from dark to caramel to light. Together this dance company shows that neither beauty nor talent are limited to one size, shape, or color.

Now, after all that, I personally don't like the new Journeys for other reasons. My girls prefer the old badge program that I grew up with :D.

I am saying exactly what I said. If one is looking for a constantly-Jesus-focused, conservative Christian worldview experience (which I have heard a number of folks say they want, both online and IRL), one is unlikely to find it in a Girl Scout troop which is following GSUSA policies and practices. As with the individual Scout accounts True Blue references, you may find individual troops who are doing their own thing despite GSUSA and provide that sort of atmosphere, but, well, that's not the norm.:) Of course, neither is it the norm, at least around here, for the kind of ultra-politically leftist, "let's have a fun field trip to the abortion clinic for the Daisies on our way to the day spa for the 5th time" experience that some people seem to think GS is (so if someone *is* looking for that, sorry to disappoint;)).

One may or may not find it in AHG, Frontier Girls, etc. I don't know firsthand, which is why I did not say one could. I know those are the groups where the people who describe wanting that sort of worldview say they have found a good fit. No one organization works for everyone, nor should it be expected to do so.

Just to be fair all the GS troops I know about that are led by more conservative Christian people don't focus on Jesus. They are too busy having fun and earning badges, etc. :001_smile:

I just put that out there, as to why some people choose other organizations over GS. That's why. I would not want any of the money or time I put into whatever scouting group to go to an organization like PP, which I find to be detrimental to girls and women, and many local councils do partner with them. That's my personal value system. I find that to be political, and shouldn't be involved in a child's scout group. The question was asked what political reasons people had for not putting their children in GS, so I gave some references. Not trying to start a fight, honestly.

I just put that out there, as to why some people choose other organizations over GS. That's why. I would not want any of the money or time I put into whatever scouting group to go to an organization like PP, which I find to be detrimental to girls and women, and many local councils do partner with them. That's my personal value system. I find that to be political, and shouldn't be involved in a child's scout group. The question was asked what political reasons people had for not putting their children in GS, so I gave some references. Not trying to start a fight, honestly.

I understand why you're concerned and why you posted what you did. I didn't think you were trying to start a fight at all. I thought you were just adding to the conversation, as was I.

:grouphug:

A lady I know shared her experience of getting ready to transition her daughter into Girl Scouts. Two things made her pull back and start her own AHG group.

The first was at a leader training meeting for GS she attended because she wanted to be a leader. The presenter told the group that there was no place for God in the Girl Scouts and that there was to be no reference to any Christian beliefs at all in thier troops. When my friend called our GS council she was told that what the presenter said was correct and that if she could not agree to that they would never make her a leader.

The second thing was when she was at a Cookie Rally with her daughter and there was a booth manned by Planned Parenthood. She said as she walked past she saw literature on abortion and heard one of the ladies there speaking to a group of girls about abortions.

She left GS and never looked back.

This is all I need to know to say my girls will be in AHG and NOT Girl Scouts. Ever.

A lady I know shared her experience of getting ready to transition her daughter into Girl Scouts. Two things made her pull back and start her own AHG group.

The first was at a leader training meeting for GS she attended because she wanted to be a leader. The presenter told the group that there was no place for God in the Girl Scouts and that there was to be no reference to any Christian beliefs at all in thier troops. When my friend called our GS council she was told that what the presenter said was correct and that if she could not agree to that they would never make her a leader.

The second thing was when she was at a Cookie Rally with her daughter and there was a booth manned by Planned Parenthood. She said as she walked past she saw literature on abortion and heard one of the ladies there speaking to a group of girls about abortions.

This is all I need to know to say my girls will be in AHG and NOT Girl Scouts. Ever.

Girl Scout Promise:

On my honor, I will try to serve GOD, and my country,

to help people at all times

and to live by the Girl Scout Law

Considering that this is the GS Promise that a troop should say before every meeting, gathering, field trip, etc I would consider everything that lady told you and was told to her to be suspect.

Edited by unsinkable

I have to agree with unsinkable. If the person in the training was indeed told, in exactly those words, what she claims, then that council is not following national policy. I have never encountered this in any GS training. Sometimes what we hear and what was actually said can be quite different based on our filters.

The vast majority of troops in our area meet in Christian churches, and almost all activities are held in Christian churches. Girls are allowed and encouraged to earn religious awards related to their specific religion or denomination thereof, the same type of awards that Boy Scouts can earn (http://www.praypub.org) and those are to be worn prominently on the front of the vest with other official awards. For the Sign of the Sun, the first activity states,"Live the Girl Scout Promise. Do an activity in which you serve God, your country or other people." An option for activity 3 of that sign is to earn the religious recognition of your choice.

Community service can be done for religious organizations and counts toward GS awards (and that service can and should be discussed in troop settings). For the Jr GS Leadership Award: "Develop leadership qualities by giving service to a community, school, religious or GS organization" and "Develop leadership qualities by serving in a leadership position for at least one month. You may serve in a troop/group, school, club, community or religious setting." The "Test Yourself" section in the handbook regarding the GS Promise asks girls to think about ways they can live by their beliefs (p. 7). Sorry I can't lay hands on the badge book at the moment to quote specific examples of religiously-based activities girls can choose to do to earn badges. Mentions of Christianity (or Islam or Judaism or Buddhism or etc) are not banned, but there is to be respect for all beliefs (or lack thereof), sensitivity to that and being a safe and welcoming place for *all* girls, not just those who agree with the leader's beliefs.

Now I could believe that she was told that she could not have *only* references to Christian beliefs in her troop or that it was not appropriate to make Christian beliefs the center of troop activities. I can believe that she might have been instructed to use more inclusive language than, for instance, a prayer in Jesus' name as a grace if she wanted to do such. I do know people who would interpret such a statement as Christianity not being "allowed at all." I can also believe that someone might have been told that they could not be considered for a leadership position if the person did not feel she could be inclusive or equally welcoming to girls of all faiths (or none)---some people simply cannot do that as they feel it is a betrayal of their own faith, and that should be respected. Girl Scouts is not the place for them, however.

I would find it very hard to believe that 1) there was a PP booth at a Cookie Rally---those are all about getting fired up about selling cookies, not about anything else and 2) that if such were the case for some odd reason, that the presenter would have materials on abortion and/or be speaking to girls of all ages about that at all, much less in such a setting. In our council, we are trained that anything to do with sensitive issues (which includes discussions on anything related to sexuality, including puberty) requires specific permission forms http://hngirlscouts.org/content_documents/SensitiveIssuesParentPermissionForm.pdf and http://hngirlscouts.org/content_documents/SensitiveIssuesProgramPlanningForm.pdf

Just to be fair all the GS troops I know about that are led by more conservative Christian people don't focus on Jesus. They are too busy having fun and earning badges, etc. :001_smile:

As I would expect them to be. I know many conservative Christians who lead troops or attend GS. My point was that one is *not* likely to find GS troops whose activities are so focused. If that is what one wants (and I repeatedly encounter folks who say that is exactly what they want), then looking elsewhere is probably a more productive use of time and energy.

Oh, I didn't take your post as trying to start a fight and I hope I didn't come across that way either. I just get irritated when someone takes something and twists it until it no longer resembles the truth (that's my irritation with the blogger, not at you). I just wanted to point out that when you go directly to the actual source materials she was saying were not appropriate for children, families may not actually find any sort of objectionable material. As far as a PP link, I am not aware of any ties within our council - that certainly would be a deal breaker for one of our co-leaders and several members and as far as we all know, it's not the case here.

Edited by My3Monkeys

• 3 months later...
Guest kacordy

In response to those who posted who no longer want to be a part of Girl Scouts, but do not like the religious requirements of AHG, you may wish to check out Frontier Girls or Quest Clubs. Written by homeschoolers, these programs have over 1000 different badges for the kids to earn.

Frontier Girls does require a belief in God, though we are open to girls and volunteers of all faiths. We do have a promise and creed, but focus on patriotism, good character, community service, and a love of learning.

Quest is basically a stripped down version of Frontier Girls that we created after having so many boys ask if they could earn our badges. Quest takes all the badges and awards from Frontier Girls and makes them available as educational incentives. There is no promise, no creed, no religious requirements, etc. Quest was designed for families and clubs to use in whatever manner they see fit.

You can research them at:

www.frontiergirls.com

www.questclubs.com

or visit their facebook pages to see what others are saying.

Sincerely,

Kerry Cordy

Frontier Girls

Quest Clubs