Menu

Started Couch to 5K yesterday with the kids!

Our trails are quite *hilly* so it was hard - who knew 60 seconds of running could be so long. The kids were great and we're all determined to continue.

Has anyone else done this with their dc or actually finished the program? I don't necessarily want to run forever, but I want to shape up my heart and lose some weight! Maybe in 9 weeks I'll love it. For now I'm doing it! It's a breeze for the kids, they're often jogging in place waiting for me to catch up...I'm hoping to improve that too.

We started this as a family last week! I haven't ran since I was about 10 years old, lol. It sucks and my legs hurt so much. But we need to get healthier. Last night we started week 2 and I didn't think I would be able to run for 90 seconds straight, but I made it! We run M, W, and F but I am so proud of myself after last night that I almost want to go run again tonight.

My oldest does ok with it, my middle DS finds it easy, and my youngest son is keeping up, but not easily. He's not very active because he gets excited to try something and then has a hard time with it because he's uncoordinated. He never wants to go back to any of the sports he's tried. He's starting to get a little chunky, so he really needs this. My daughter just gets pushed in the jogging stroller.

I'm hoping we'll become healthier and next year I would love to get up first thing in the morning and run with the kids before we start school. I've heard people rave about how excercise first thing keeps their kids calmer and more focused throughout the day.

Our trails are quite *hilly* so it was hard - who knew 60 seconds of running could be so long. The kids were great and we're all determined to continue.

Has anyone else done this with their dc or actually finished the program? I don't necessarily want to run forever, but I want to shape up my heart and lose some weight! Maybe in 9 weeks I'll love it. For now I'm doing it! It's a breeze for the kids, they're often jogging in place waiting for me to catch up...I'm hoping to improve that too.

:thumbup1:

I need to start running again. How old are your kids?

I can't run or walk much (I have SI Joint problems--it get so painful), but I have been biking (no pain!). My boys have come along each time and have been so encouraging to me!

Like yours, my kids have no problem with the distance or pace. I just keep thinking that if we keep this up, they'll never be in my position. They won't have to get "back in shape".

My hope is that they will always be active.

I started Couch to 5k in January and finished up several weeks ago. Before that, I was fairly sedentary. I have continued running. I think I love it! I'm up to approx 20 miles per week. I hoped to lose about 10 lbs or at least some weight but that hasn't happened yet :glare:. My dd10 just joined a running club but we don't run together...maybe soon. Running is kind of the only alone time I have and I'm not ready to give it up!

Carolyn

my ds (12 yrs old) and I did the complete program last fall and ran a 5k on Halloween, he smoked me! We didn't do any running over the winter, but have started back up and are in week 4. I plan to sign up for another 5k race once we are through with the program, and then maybe go on to do a 10k. We have a great time running together, although he really has to hold back to stay with my pace!

We run M, W, and F but I am so proud of myself after last night that I almost want to go run again tonight.

I'm hoping we'll become healthier and next year I would love to get up first thing in the morning and run with the kids before we start school. I've heard people rave about how excercise first thing keeps their kids calmer and more focused throughout the day.

I know just what you mean. Due to our custody schedule, we're going to have to run two days back-to-back, but I think that will be okay. It is very true that exercise keeps the mind clearer. We often take a physical break when the kids get *fogged* from too much sitting and focusing. Keep up the good work! We'll have to keep posting as our families progress. It would be fun to see where we are/how we're all feeling in the next nine weeks!

I know just what you mean. Due to our custody schedule, we're going to have to run two days back-to-back, but I think that will be okay. It is very true that exercise keeps the mind clearer. We often take a physical break when the kids get *fogged* from too much sitting and focusing. Keep up the good work! We'll have to keep posting as our families progress. It would be fun to see where we are/how we're all feeling in the next nine weeks!

to keep moving! I love reading all your testimonies. Thank you for sharing. JaniceO, I messed up my reply to you...sorry, my plan to quote didn't work as I anticipated; I hope you can decipher the message from both my posts.

My children are 11.5 and 13. I, too, hope to give them life-long healthy living habits, so they aren't where I'm at almost 40. It's been a tough few years with my divorce. I've always loved exercising, but am not consistent. The past few years have definitely been "inconsistent and I've gained some weight". However, I have renewed energy and focus and I really think we're going to enjoy this. I especially love that we can participate as a family.

It is very empowering and uplifting to act healthfully and help train your children to live this way - to preserve their bodies as temples.

Maybe we can keep posting and encouraging one another? Those farther ahead can keep motivating people like us, who are just beginning.

Fun, fun, fun!

There is a Well-Trained Runners social group here. It includes veteran runners and those of us who are new to it. Everyone is very supportive and encouraging. It's also a great place for advice. Check it out!

And if you don't want to come hunting for us, we are right here.

It sounds like you are off to a great start. I was shocked how much longer the 90 seconds felt. I mean it is only 30 seconds, but they were some long 30 seconds.

I was actually surprised the 90 seconds didn't seem too much longer. We rean it and I was thinking, "that's all!". My shins are killing me though. My husband has me take Motrin about 15 minutes before we run and it helps some, but not completely. I've never had a problem with my shins before. Usually my knees or my ankles and those haven't been bothering me at all. I'm hoping it gets better.

My dd and I did it last summer.

I have been walking and running 5k's (and 1 marathon) for years when my (then) 8 year old stated that she wanted to do the next 5k with me. So, we actually used the C25K program to train for the 5k.

Now, my 7 year old wants to train to do the next 5k with us. I guess I will go through the program again with her.

We used Ullreys Podcasts

I was actually surprised the 90 seconds didn't seem too much longer. We rean it and I was thinking, "that's all!". My shins are killing me though. My husband has me take Motrin about 15 minutes before we run and it helps some, but not completely. I've never had a problem with my shins before. Usually my knees or my ankles and those haven't been bothering me at all. I'm hoping it gets better.

Have you been to a running store and had them check out your shoes? When I started running, I got shin pain. I ended up getting new shoes and the pain went away. when you get new shoes, they should look at your old shoes and see how you wear them down. They should watch you walk. They should suggest different brands and let you try them on and wear them while running on a treadmill or around the block.

My dd and I did it last summer.

I have been walking and running 5k's (and 1 marathon) for years when my (then) 8 year old stated that she wanted to do the next 5k with me. So, we actually used the C25K program to train for the 5k.

Now, my 7 year old wants to train to do the next 5k with us. I guess I will go through the program again with her.

We used Ullreys Podcasts

How did walking/running the marathon go? I'm considering this for the fall. I've run a half, so I know how to do distance, I'm just nervous about the full!!

Have fun with your 7 yo!! I ran 2 races with my kids last year and it was AWESOME!!!

What's the youngest age kid you would feel comfortable doing the 5K training with? I have a 6.5 yo (who is a tad tall for his age & stands equal with many 8 yos if that matters). No doubt right now he could outlast me...

Try it!! See how he does. I ran two 5Ks last year with my kids. My youngest was 8. At 6.5, yours would probably be one of the youngest there, but he'd get a TON of support!!!

How did walking/running the marathon go? I'm considering this for the fall. I've run a half, so I know how to do distance, I'm just nervous about the full!!

I only walked the marathon. I did it before I started running. I was an avid walker for years and would joke that I would only run if something was chasing me. Now I feel like I am being chased - by old age - so I started running.

Edited by sands31210

Have you been to a running store and had them check out your shoes? When I started running, I got shin pain. I ended up getting new shoes and the pain went away. when you get new shoes, they should look at your old shoes and see how you wear them down. They should watch you walk. They should suggest different brands and let you try them on and wear them while running on a treadmill or around the block.

I agree, go to a running store. It is money well spent!

Try it!! See how he does. I ran two 5Ks last year with my kids. My youngest was 8. At 6.5, yours would probably be one of the youngest there, but he'd get a TON of support!!!

I have seen 5 year olds doing 5Ks. No one says you have to run the whole thing. Try it and just have fun with it.

Based on my very limited Italian, I don't really have access to a running store right now. But I will definitely do that when we get back to the States this fall! The shoe selection here at the NEX and even for athletic type shoes out in town isn't really good. We are going to a sporting goods store to get tennis rackets, so maybe I'll see what they have for running shoes (probably not much because women over here don't really run, lol).

I'm at the end of week four. I started as soon as the weather got warm, but I messed up the tendons on the outside of my right leg, and was gimping around for weeks. I seem OK now, though. I actually exercise to keep my English Shepherd happy, but I require a lot of heart rate increase to get any benefits, so we've hiked, snowshoed, and now we're running. I'd like to move to cross country running once we're all the way through the program, but one thing at a time, you know?

I'm at the end of week four. I started as soon as the weather got warm, but I messed up the tendons on the outside of my right leg, and was gimping around for weeks. I seem OK now, though. I actually exercise to keep my English Shepherd happy, but I require a lot of heart rate increase to get any benefits, so we've hiked, snowshoed, and now we're running. I'd like to move to cross country running once we're all the way through the program, but one thing at a time, you know?

You're at the end of week four! We'll be running again today, which I know it's not ideal to run three days in a row, but that's how it worked this week.

What exactly is cross country running? Is this another term for long distance running?

I found some great meal/snack ideas to coordinate my weight loss with the running; I'm excited about that.

Happy running!