Menu

One, small, white spot on tonsil

Does a white spot on a tonsil ALWAYS mean strep throat? My DD had a sore throat yesterday...and, woke up this morning with 103* temperature. After some Tylenol, the temp went down...later in the afternoon...she, said her throat felt better...however, kept asking for more meds because she felt sick. Then, around supper time, she said her throat started hurting again.

???

Then, as I am drying off my other DD after her shower...I see the right side of her neck (gland) is swollen. She tells me it's been hurting since Sunday. She told her father...but, he never investigated. Grrr!!

I hope we are not in for a household of sickness. At least we'll have plenty of ice if our new frig comes in by the end of the week!

~Holly

I have tested positive for strep with no spots at all ( and no fever, no runny nose, no congestion, no headache, no aches & pains - just a slight itch in my throat)

And my son just had it as NO throat pain, high fever, head and belly pain. Daughter got it as an ear infection. It's the germ of a thousand faces.

Sort of the same thing going on here with dd11. No white spots this morning, although she was complaining of throat pain.

This afternoon, her temp went to 101, and she has slept most of the day.

Some white spots this afternoon. I will probably have her seen in the peds office tomorrow.

Hope this works out well for you.

Spots on your tonsils isn't usually a sign of strep.

The tell-tale sign of strep is a red, meaty looking throat.

If her glands are swollen, and she has a fever along with the spot, I would suspect tonsilitis. But you can never rule out strep without seeing a doctor.

I don't know what my 11yo had this weekend, but it started off as a sore throat on Saturday afternoon. By evening it was extremely sore. Her tonsils looked weird and puffy. Her tongue had little blister things on it. She didn't have a fever until the next day. She communicated entirely by texting from about 8pm on.

She ran a fever all day on Sunday that ranged from 100 to 102.5 despite taking ibuprofen every 4 hours. I kept her dosed up on benadryl also, partly for the sedative effect. She was absolutely miserable that day. She communicated entirely by texting that entire day because her throat hurt too much to talk.

The fever broke between Sunday night and Monday morning. Her throat didn't hurt as bad, although she could only whisper. She communicated mostly by texting.

She's all better now except for having 4 nosebleeds today. All the words she didn't speak from Saturday to Monday built up inside of her and broke out today. She has been talking nonstop all day long.

I just asked my ped this last week. She said that USUALLY the white spots are collections of food deposits. I told her I would have thought that these wash away easily, but she assured me that the nooks and crannies hold onto food more than we think. She recommended gargling with salt water. If the deposits stay there awhile they can cause very bad breath.

HTH.

I don't know what my 11yo had this weekend, but it started off as a sore throat on Saturday afternoon. By evening it was extremely sore. Her tonsils looked weird and puffy. Her tongue had little blister things on it. She didn't have a fever until the next day. She communicated entirely by texting from about 8pm on.

She ran a fever all day on Sunday that ranged from 100 to 102.5 despite taking ibuprofen every 4 hours. I kept her dosed up on benadryl also, partly for the sedative effect. She was absolutely miserable that day. She communicated entirely by texting that entire day because her throat hurt too much to talk.

The fever broke between Sunday night and Monday morning. Her throat didn't hurt as bad, although she could only whisper. She communicated mostly by texting.

She's all better now except for having 4 nosebleeds today. All the words she didn't speak from Saturday to Monday built up inside of her and broke out today. She has been talking nonstop all day long.

herpangina?