Menu

Can you help me with Videotext unit test question

My dd is struggling through Module D and we really want to get into Module E. I have heard that module D is the hardest and she just finished the end unit test and only got a 69. :001_huh:this is usually unacceptable to me and I would have her go through for understanding and take form B.

My dd has had it and really feels like she will not do much better. they only provided one type of problem on the lesson and the test has 6 of them. She was unable to answer those, so along with the simple mistakes she should have gotten right, she had those 6 wrong. if I disinclude those she has an 84.

I know she can get the phone help, but am considering letting her move onto module E anyway- she is not a math kid>A am I out of my mind?

Kathy

:tongue_smilie:

That's a tough one. It's been too long since my oldest ds did VT Algebra, so I can't remember what all it is like. Does Module E review any of Module D?

A few ideas that I can think of:

1)You could go on and just hope she learns it as she goes, or will not need to use that concept again.

2)You could move on to give her a change of pace, but then come back to this later and study, work through problems and re-take the test.

3)Usually you need to know the concepts to keep advancing. Could you maybe get a tutor for this one concept? Someone that could work with her from a different angle or something? I'd hate to see her totally skip this, then bog down later because she never learned it!

Best wishes!

...in general moving on is usually not a good idea with VT because the problems in later modules almost always require mastery of earlier lessons. Did she struggle with the same type of problems in the daily work for the lessons?

If you have time, I'd suggest that you use the lesson number references from the unit test and go back to the first lesson in the module where she started struggling. Repeat the lessons, watch with her and do at least the practice problems together. I'd also have her look at her work in the problem set for those lessons and have her tell you where she's "falling out of the canoe".

BTW, my ds gave every evidence early on that he wasn't a mathy kid, but he grew into liking math as he got older mainly because he enjoys science. :D

Added thought: While I agree with the VT author that trying to take notes during the lesson is not a good idea, I did have ds keep his own notebook. His notes were based on the course notes provided with the curriculum, but he added his own explanations/examples especially on the lessons that gave him trouble. He saved those notebooks and used them for test prep. Every day the first thing he did for math was to enter notes in his notebook for the previous day's lesson. Doing that helped him retain the concepts and review for the quizzes.

Edited by Martha in NM
add information

Thank you for the help- it does help. I had her rewatch with me the lesson which was giving her trouble.

I found out that VT will be at our convention on Friday and will ask Tom Clark more about it. She did the problems she was unable to do the first time....this is on the module end test which is 65 problems long. If I give her credit for those she gets an 80. While this is not terrific maybe I can let her move on and try Module E.

Thank you both again for your help. I am considering buying the VT geometry new. I had piece-mealed the algebra modules from various sources.

Kathy

My son really enjoyed it even though he had to use pre-production versions of Modules D & E and didn't have time to wait for the final module. I was wary of starting something that wasn't fully published, but am so glad I took the chance.

Hope you get a chance to talk with Mr. Clark at your convention. He was very helpful to me several years back when I was looking at geometry curricula. He's a nice man who loves math and loves to teach. I was amazed at how quickly he "connected" with both parents and students. My son attended that year and came away from the convention with the feeling that Mr. Clark was, indeed, his teacher. (He had done all but the last few algebra lessons at that point and we were looking ahead.)

Yes, please, let us know about how things go at your convention. Enjoy!

Martha