Menu

Question about Saxon 5/4

These worksheets are the timed fact sheets or the occasional sheet with cut outs that would be needed for the lesson (like pretend money when covering place value). The child would normally copy the problems from the book onto a sheet. They do have a basic grid one that you can make copies of or they could use notebook paper. Some people have their child write in the student text but that would mean you'd have to buy a new one if you have other children that would eventually need to use it.

HTH

My son used it as a reluctant writer when he was 10 and was ok with it. For a while in the beginning I would take over for him if he got to tired to write them all out, or I would pre-write them out for him. He got over it pretty quickly and now has no problem writing them out himself. Although he has come up with his own way of doing it.

When I was in school you would do the problems in rows so say numbers 1-3 or 4 would be in a row across the page then you'd go down a bit and it would be the next 4 problems or so and so on. My son writes them in columns down the page before moving to the right for the next column. :confused: It took a bit of getting used to when correcting, but so far I haven't asked him to change. I may start doing that next year since he'll be in 6th grade and just in case he wants to go to PS for highschool he should probably learn to do it the usual way.

I have had 3 do Saxon 54 a grade ahead --at 9, one turned 9 the week after we started. I spend the first half of the year copying the problems (not the word problems) on the separate sheet of paper. Usually they are doing it themselves by half way through the book.

Linda

I'm one that lets ds write in the student text. We like workbooks and I know my ds would take forever if he had to copy all the problems.

Blessings,

I also let me dd work in the book. SInce it was paperback, I had just assumed it was aworkbook until I read here that it was supposed to be a textbook. In my mind textbooks have glossy pages and hardbacks like the Algebra books Saxon makes. Workbooks are newsprint like this Saxon.

My dd doesn't like how the paper feels :) so she works on a separate sheet of paper, but I do think there is room to work in the book. I will say, just my two cents, we found that there was a lot to do in one day...the timed test, mental math, lesson, lesson problems and mixed practice. We were spending a long time on math everyday, but math really is not her strongest subject. We started doing only the odd numbers of the mixed practice and if she gets most of those right, we continue on. If not, the next day she will go back and do the even numbered problems. It's working very well for us!

My son used it as a reluctant writer when he was 10 and was ok with it. For a while in the beginning I would take over for him if he got to tired to write them all out, or I would pre-write them out for him. He got over it pretty quickly and now has no problem writing them out himself. Although he has come up with his own way of doing it.

When I was in school you would do the problems in rows so say numbers 1-3 or 4 would be in a row across the page then you'd go down a bit and it would be the next 4 problems or so and so on. My son writes them in columns down the page before moving to the right for the next column. :confused: It took a bit of getting used to when correcting, but so far I haven't asked him to change. I may start doing that next year since he'll be in 6th grade and just in case he wants to go to PS for highschool he should probably learn to do it the usual way.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother asking him to change. In the 8 years I taught PS math, I never saw a math teacher require homework to be done by columns. Some of my students used rows and others columns. (For what it's worth, I currently use R&S math and they teach the students to use rows.) As long as I could clearly see their answers and they were in order, either way was fine with me. The one thing I didn't like (and didn't allow) was when their answers were all over the paper (and yes, I had students who did that, even when I taught a college class!! Urghh!) or when they were not clearly labeled #1, #2, etc. The easiest for me was when they circled their answers.

I am getting ready to purchase the Saxon 5/4 Homeschool Kit. I have a question about the "tests and worksheets" part of the kit. Is this worksheets for EVERY lesson, like Saxon 1-3?

I guess my question is...will my child have to write out the daily problems on a separate sheet of paper, or is there a workbook to fill in?

The homeschool version is paperback. There are math fact worksheets. Also, for certain lessons there are "activity" sheets. My dd just finished Saxon Math 5/4 last week. While it's true it's a consumable book, many of the problems will require more space than what they give in the book. Hence, it would behoove your dc to use a piece of paper to "work" it out. HTH. Sheryl <><

To be honest, I wouldn't bother asking him to change. In the 8 years I taught PS math, I never saw a math teacher require homework to be done by columns. Some of my students used rows and others columns. (For what it's worth, I currently use R&S math and they teach the students to use rows.) As long as I could clearly see their answers and they were in order, either way was fine with me. The one thing I didn't like (and didn't allow) was when their answers were all over the paper (and yes, I had students who did that, even when I taught a college class!! Urghh!) or when they were not clearly labeled #1, #2, etc. The easiest for me was when they circled their answers.

:D

Thanks for this! I actually find his papers easy to grade because he goes in columns, when trying to write in rows he has a hard time knowing how far down to go to make sure they're are clearly defined rows. He doesn't have that issue with columns.