Menu

Anyone do Colonial reenactment?

Okay, I am basically computer illiterate! (Piano Performance major here people, my instrument of choice has not seen significant design changes since the mid-1800's!) So, what does "pm" me mean?

We did a 1600's colonial English Harvest dinner. I made long full skirts which DD and I wore over long sleeve muslin chemises - gathered at the neck and wrists, with white half-aprons, head coverings, long stockings, black flats (didn't want to spend much on shoes), and shawls made out of hemmed, large triangles of nasy $1.00 a yard scratchy, plain fabric). Dh and sons had muslin chemises with brown breeches that tied just below the knees and kind of bloused out. DH had a brown vest that he wore over the navy blue tunic that went over the chemise. The boys had green tunics over their chemises but no vests. Dh played the role of Governor Bradford so he also had a large, floppy, black hat.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but that was the closest we could come to accurate without going bankrupt for the clothing. I used some simplicity historical patterns for the chemises, skirts, and head coverings. I used Simplicity costume patterns (think medieval/renaissance) for the boys breeches and tunics. I paid 99 cents each for the patterns by waiting for the sales at JoAnn's fabrics. I recommend Simplicity and McCall's patterns for simple costumes. Butterick tends to be more involved in my opinion.

Faith