Menu

language mechanics...grade 5/6 AGAIN!

sweetsouthern

im going to ring my neck with mechaincs lol! it is just not sticking for dd. she just finished up punctuation puzzlers and has all the basic punctuations down pat, but addresses, dates, clauses and quotes seem to keep tripping her up.

she is just starting 6th grade ... what can we do? we do daily grams, but it doesnt seem to be teaching the concepts and we use winston for grammar. so i need something that is just this.

thanks! :lurk5:

A quick thought, have you ever considered getting *just* the worksheets from a program like R&S for extra coverage where she needs it? You could do those as reinforcement! That would be a cheap, and easy way to do it. There are other programs with cheap worksheets but R&S is what we are switching to next year so that is why I thought of that :001_smile:

Editor in Chief?

I wouldn't do just the R&S workbook, personally. There is no teaching on them at all, and only about half of the lessons have a worksheet.The whole set isn't that pricey though. If you were going to use it as a supplement you could skip to the chapter you need, but avoid the review sections which might have concepts not learned yet.

im going to ring my neck with mechaincs lol! it is just not sticking for dd. she just finished up punctuation puzzlers and has all the basic punctuations down pat, but addresses, dates, clauses and quotes seem to keep tripping her up.

she is just starting 6th grade ... what can we do? we do daily grams, but it doesnt seem to be teaching the concepts and we use winston for grammar. so i need something that is just this.

thanks! :lurk5:

The reason Daily Grams doesn't seem to be teaching the concepts is that Daily Grams is review. It's Easy Grammar that teaches the concepts.

IMHO, the R&S worksheets wouldn't be enough. OTOH, I can see using the English text (as well as whatever you might be using for writing) and dropping Winston Grammar.

sigh... now i have no clue what to do. anymore thoughts to toss this way? should my almost 6th grader have this stuff down pat? should i start jensens punctuation now in 6th? or just continue winston and try jensens later? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well, I'm not sure whether an 11yo should have this down pat or not. Seems to me you've taught it; now she should apply it for the next 5 or 6 years. Correct any mistakes she makes. Move on.:)

My 6th grader just finishsed Winston Grammar in January. I felt she got a thorough understanding of grammar from it as opposed to just doing workbook style curriculum. We haven't picked up anything else right now because we have been focusing so much on her writing now. We are going to begin using Advanced Winston Grammar in the fall. I have been pleased with what she has learned.

Well, I'm not sure whether an 11yo should have this down pat or not. Seems to me you've taught it; now she should apply it for the next 5 or 6 years. Correct any mistakes she makes. Move on.:)

Honestly, I don't think it's unusual for an 11-year-old not to have it all down. Most programs continue to review these concepts year after year, and I truly feel that she'll eventually pick it up. I think it's too early in the game to be stressing so much over this.

Editor in Chief?

I wouldn't do just the R&S workbook, personally. There is no teaching on them at all, and only about half of the lessons have a worksheet.The whole set isn't that pricey though. If you were going to use it as a supplement you could skip to the chapter you need, but avoid the review sections which might have concepts not learned yet.

My son has a lot of trouble with mechanics and I'm going to give Editor in Chief a try for him next year, along with either Shurley or Rod and Staff. We recently hit a wall in CLE, so we're currently trying out Rod and Staff since I already own it to see if that is more effective for him. He does really well with R&S Math, so maybe their English will be a good fit. If not, it's on to Shurley in the fall.

I've used the Evan Moore Daily Paragrah Editing books with him and it did not go well. There was just too much thrown in there, so he'd always miss about half of the corrections. I'm hoping Editor in Chief will ease him into things a little more gently.

Lisa