Menu

if you have English from the Roots Up - ?

Pster

I used to use it. I had both the book and the preprinted cards, and eventually I didn't use the book anymore (although there are some things in there that may help you). Keep in mind there is no one "right" way to do this - you just do whatever works well for your family!

We did everything orally. For quite a while I would introduce a new card each day Mon.-Thurs., as well as reviewing cards from previous 4 days. So, on a Monday I quickly reviewed the roots on the cards from the previous week (Mon-Thurs), then introduced a new root and related words. Tuesday, I reviewed the root from the day before and roots from previous week Tues-Thurs., then introduced a new root and related words. You get the idea. Every day, I reviewed 4 cards, then introduced a new one, including vocab. Friday, I didn't introduce any new cards, but I reviewed all cards from the same week, including vocabulary, plus reviewed just the roots from all previous weeks. At some point, though, there got too much to review in a reasonable amount of time on Fridays, so I cut back to 2 new cards a week, and I used the extra time Mon.-Thurs. to review some of the older cards on other days besides Friday.

This is how I implemented it this year with DS (7th Grade):

We did 5 words a week.

Monday- copy the word, definition, language and examples

Tuesday- Read over extra examples in book. Try to think of others.

Wednesday- matching game using words and definitions. We also reviewed previous weeks' words

Thursday- test on 5 words. DS made 100% all but once!

On Mon. I write the root on the blank side of an index card. They outline in green for Greek or red for Roman (Latin). They write the meaning on the top line of the back. We review all previous roots.

On Tue., we review the same new root and they write one meaning of a root combination down (7yo) or two meanings down (10 yo).

That's it. Not as many days per week as some do, but they are also learning Greek. And I plan to keep doing this through all their years, each time they come back to a root they will add more meanings so that hopefully by year 12 they will have all the roots down pat!

We also own the game Rummy Roots, that I hope to incorporate more. Blessings, Gina

We just started using it last month and DS LOVES it! One of his favorite actvities. I too use the notebooking pages from currclick. I haven't followed the book in order, but have picked out words that he's been coming across in grammar or math. We do the word and its definition, then I let him think of words that come from it and write their definitions. It's been a lot of fun and so exciting to see how it's "clicked" for him, especially with the number roots.

- that's great to hear! I plan on starting it this week with my 3 girls. I'm going to try things pretty much like what you mentioned. My 2 older girls (4th gr & 1st gr) will fill out the notebook page and my younger k'er will listen along. I'm hoping to see things "click" too and for them to start recognizing roots they hear!

We've had this for a couple of years and like it a lot. I broke down and bought the cards. I also bought the rummy roots game - fun.

I'm going to have to try the website and incorporate it into our lessons.

This is a one day a week thing for us.

Serena

This is how I implemented it this year with DS (7th Grade):

We did 5 words a week.

Monday- copy the word, definition, language and examples

Tuesday- Read over extra examples in book. Try to think of others.

Wednesday- matching game using words and definitions. We also reviewed previous weeks' words

Thursday- test on 5 words. DS made 100% all but once!

We did it similar to this but only used 2 words a week.

Day 1 we read through the book for first card

Day 2 wrote out Root, Definition, and examples

Day 3 read second card

Day 4 writing

Day 5 matching game (with all cards studied)

We used this book for part of 3rd, 4th, and first part of 5th. We will most likely go back over this book in later years.

I'm thinking of using EFTRU with dc (7th,4th,1st grades). I haven't purchased the book yet. Should I purchase the cards or make them on our own? Also, are the notebooking pages in addition to the main book or in place of... just not sure the purpose of the notebooking pages(?) How do you have dc memorize the roots (I saw the matching game mentioned) anything else?

Thanks!