Menu

clep AP SAT?

Can anyone explain to this non-American that I am, what differences are in those exams?

If my child is doing well in a course, should he take the AP, or CLEP?

I think SAT is just an overall evaluation, not something that is course-related, but even then I'm not sure.

The SAT is just an overall test of abilities and aptitude. The test is made up of 3 parts, critical reading, math, and writing. Each part is worth 800 points for a high score of 2400. SAT's are used for college admission, and also sometimes for placement in various math and English courses. the ACT is a similar test, but it is scored differently. The AP tests are based on specific courses such as US history, world history, calculus, biology, etc. The student will get a score from 1-5, and colleges/universities can offer credit in subjects for higher scores (usually for scores of 3 or higher).

I haven't taken the CLEP, so I'm not quite sure what it is. I believe it is similar to AP's.

I think SAT is just an overall evaluation, not something that is course-related, but even then I'm not sure.

The traditional SAT is not course-related as jennifermarie mentioned above; however, the SAT subject tests are one hour long tests (multiple choice) that test specific high school level knowledge of a given subject. There are several SAT subject tests that also have a listening component. I do not know how they differ from the other SAT subject tests.

Regards,

Kareni

The SAT I is an exam that is used broadly for college admissions. As the other posters have expressed, it consists of three parts, math, critical reading and writing. Both the SAT I and the ACT are the main admissions tests in the US.

The SAT II or SAT SUBJECT tests are more related to mastery of given subjects. They are used by some colleges and universities to help distinguish the best among the ever growing applicant pool. They are not used for placement with in the college usually, but rather to help refine the applicant group. Students should take those subject tests on which they can distinguish themselves with high scores. Some colleges require none...some require three. You have to check with the schools you are interested in and see what they require.

APs are tests to show the level of mastery of college level course work at the high school stage. These tests can be used by colleges to grant credit for college level work. They are often used by those of us in the homeschool community to show that our kids have completed rigorous work and are just as qualified as anyone else for that cherished freshman spot.

The thing with APs is that some colleges suggest that you only take AP credit, that is to say college granted credit, for course work that isn't in your intended major. There is wide variance on this. But, as an example, our son wanted to study engineering and his admissions advisor told him that they would not accept AP credits in Calculus, Chemistry or Physics...he would have to start at the basic level in those courses with them, but they would accept elective APs for credit, like foreign lang or history.

Your mileage may vary....

So, what is CLEP? These are tests that some colleges accept for college credit. You take the test at a university testing center to show you have completed college level work and to receive credit for the equivalent of course work done outside of that university. Each college and university will have policies for what they will accept in terms of CLEP credits. It can be a good way to get credit for work you've already done and avoid taking a course that really isn't needed.

HTH

SHaron

:confused:This is what our local university is asking for:

AP exam results of 4 or 5, strong SAT results including SAT II subject results

I'm not sure what an AP result of 4 or 5 would be. I'm assuming AP exams aren't based on a percentage?

SAT would be the general testing, and SAT II for subjects my son wants to major in (in his case, math and various sciences).

Our local university doesn't even mention CLEP. :confused:

It sounds as if you will need some more clarification from the college. Your student will need the SAT I for admissions, but will probably need either/or/or a combination of certain SAT II or AP exams

The first place I'd look for more information would be their website, under admissions requirements for homeschoolers. Don't be bashful about calling admissions, but be sure to write down who you spoke to (and when) and get their policy in writing.

These tests take planning, especially APs, which are only offered in May. You will need to schedule coursework to coincide with the test schedules, and sign up ahead of time. SAT II's can be registered for online, as can the SAT I. APs must be signed up for with an administering high school by March of the school year. High schools can be tricky to be work with, I second calling earlier in the year (early December works well) to see how receptive they are to proctoring to homeschooled students.

For maximum effectiveness, the APs and SAT IIs needed for admissions should be taken before the senior year of high school. SAT IIs are offered several times a year, so scheduling is more flexible. AP scores for tests taken in the senior year will not be available until July after a student is already accepted to college - good for college credit, but not helpful with admissions.

Welcome to the job of homeschool guidance counselor!

HTH,

GardenMom

My eldest dd has been in ps for high school and will have taken 7 or 8 AP tests by the time she graduates this year. Students at our high school take these tests after they have been in the AP (junior and senior honors level) class for the entire year. The classes are obviously designed to hone in on the knowledge that is required for the test. Our school district also offers numerous Saturday prep sessions during the spring semester which include taking practice exams. The exams include very specific types of essays that the students are taught how to handle: Document-Based Question essay and the Change-Over-Time essay are the ones that come to mind.

In essence, a 5 on an AP exam would be the equivalent of taking the college class and making an "A". Making a 4 would correlate to a "B"; making a 3 would correlate to a "C", and so on. This is why more prestigious schools will only give credit for a 4 or 5 (sometimes only a 5); we have seen some colleges that will accept a 3. I believe that when they give college credit, it is not given with a grade attached, but rather a pass/fail type of credit (but I could be wrong on that).

One caveat that we have found in hoping for college credits through AP testing is that they don't always apply if your child will be in the Honors program at the university. Many universities are revamping their Honors programs to include multi-disciplinary, team-taught courses and symposia instead of the typical core courses. Because this is a very non-traditional format, the AP credits do not logically fit and so they are simply recorded as elective credits instead of the history, english, etc. that they normally would be.

If you go to the College Board website, you can find specific information about the exams and see some sample questions. It is possible to self-study for the exam and take it without having taken the AP course at a school.

HTH,

Adrienne