Menu

Spelling

cara

We haven't used it, but I've heard really good things about IEW's spelling program. Not sure what it's called though.:)

It's called Phonetic Zoo. We just started using it this week and so far ds and I both love it! It incorporates auditory, visual and kinetic elements and gives the child some independence. He listens to the words on a cd and writes them, then the cd lists the words again, spelling them this time. Ds writes the words again as they're spelled and then checks his list against the correct spellings and marks how many he got correct.

There are rules, tips & jingles, sample words and animals that go with each lesson. For example, lesson 1 covers "ai"/"ay" words and the animals on the card are "caiman" and "manta ray". Dc has a smaller card to be used as a reminder of the rule, a reward and a collectible.

You can learn more about it on the website, as well as give dc a free placement test to determine which level to begin with.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/spelling-1

FYI: Just noted your dc's age. This program is meant to be used for 3rd grade on up, so it might be too challenging for your 7yr just yet.

Edited by EppieJ

I highly recommend Rod and Staff's spelling. It's not puzzles and games, but it gets the job done well.

:iagree: (In case you notice that it's not in my signature, it's because dd already finished her R&S Spelling 2 and she hasn't started the next level yet. We are doing some dictation in the meantime. I am planning on having dd use R&S Spelling 3, and ds use R&S Spelling 2 in our upcoming schoolyear).

It depends on whether he learns best by rule or pattern.

Webster's Speller and Sequential Spelling teach by pattern.

Good rule based programs are plentiful, a lot of people really like AAS, the most efficient one in my opinion is Spelling Plus, it also has an accompanying dictation book for children who need to write the word in a sentence to truly learn it.

If he learns best when she figures out something herself, I like Tricks of the Trade, it's a notebook where children figure out where to put their own misspelled words based on why they misspelled it and what type of word it is.

Some good free and cheap spelling options are listed on my spelling for success page.

I'm starting to see good results with All About Spelling for my 7yo who really struggles with spelling. I dragged my feet with it forever and we never got it done, because its not my style of program, but I dropped the tiles and started just having her do everything on the whiteboard, and then got serious about making her spelling a priority, and she's really progressing now. I still think using the tiles is ideal, but it was a logistical problem here because I had to keep the tiles in a different room and do spelling in a room other than our spelling room, which contributed to it never getting done. I would recommend using the tiles if you use AAS.

I love AAS! It is multi-sensory, incremental, covers things in multiple ways and has lots of review.

Heather

Another AAS convert here. My ds couldn't spell much of anything after 1st grade (we used a different curric. then). I switched to AAS, and he flew through the first level and has really done well in the 2nd. He's a pretty good speller now, and I am so thankful!

DS 9.75 really loves and has flown thru Spelling Workout. He has won his last two spelling bees, and has told me his current life goal is to win the National Spelling Bee in D.C. I love how it just turns the phonics rules into spelling rules. He recently started Level G and there is a little bit of a format change but he is adjusting.

Many people don't like SWO because it is a workbook, but I feel having him write the words is to his benefit for remembering the words.:)

All-About-Spelling has been amazing for us. We started at age 4, and now at age 5, my daughter has already written a series of "books". She is writing at this moment, and just a few minutes ago got back from a ten day vacation. That is how eager she is to start writing!

Sometimes I feel I am going to slow for her, and so we're going much faster through the lessons in book two.

We have tried AAS, studied dication and a few others in there, but have finally settled on Spelling Workout. Here's a post on how we use it.

Thanks!

I went with Spelling Workout for now. I love the way you use it. I think I'm going to steal your ideas! Thanks so much!

I used Rod & Staff Spelling when my children were younger. Later, I purchased Rod & Staff's Spelling List for Grades 5 - 8. Each week, I drill missed words from the previous week plus a new column of words. This allows them to practice spelling missed words for as long as needed. I review spelling rules when applicable.

I also type missed words into StartWrite. They copy the words throughout the week. This also serves as handwriting practice.