Menu

Calling all neat/clean freaks! Tell me how you keep your house really clean while hs-

Thanks for those great pics. BTW, I liked how you stored your towels. (I can't figure out what would be wrong with it - it was functional and nice looking.) Right now mine are in my cabinet below the sinks, and they don't seem to be maximizing that space at all.

I am neat but I do keep things that I shouldn't - mainly things that I think will be useful. Lately, I've decide I just don't want to do that anymore, even though oftentimes it has worked because I do remember what I have, it just isn't worth the space anymore.

I am exactly the same way. I have a routine for the most basic things. For instance, here's my nightly routine done while kids are getting ready for bed:

1. Boys have to clean up all of their things from living area/play room and also bedroom. I put away anything belonging to me.

2. My husband or I vacuum the living area and hallway

2. One of us collects trash from all rooms and dispose of. I empty our recycling bin too.

3. I start the laundry (after I walk through rooms making sure none is lying around). I typically have one load a day unless it is towel week or if I wash sheets. Sheets are done in the morning so I can put them back on the bed the same day.

4. I run the dishwasher when I go to bed. I make sure all dishes are cleaned up. I wash the sponges too, and sometimes I wash the toothbrush holder and toothbruses from the bathroom.

Also,

When I wash my face/brush my teeth, I wipe down the counter with my washcloth and towel. I clean the sink and toilet real quickly with Lysol wipes either when I'm getting ready for bed or while I'm getting ready for the day.

While the boys are working on table work, I will walk around dusting, wash ziplock bags, sweep, etc.

The most important thing is to have a place for everything, and at the end of the day (and at little times during the day), make sure everything is returned. I am serious about this. There is a place for the scissors, the tape, the stapler, the keys, the movies, the books, etc.

Another thing that helps is to deal with paper when it presents itself. That means mail too. When I get the mail, I toss the recycle stuff in a bin, shred anything I don't want to save that has our name on it, and file the rest away. I do allow myself one drawer where I keep current things like rebate forms, an envelope with 'just-in-case' receipts, and other things I'd like to get to one day. I go through this periodically.

Take advantage of those thrift store bags -- try to get rid of stuff monthly if not weekly.

The boys help too by having daily chores.

• 1 month later...
Guest mathewl

:chillpill:Hi! have you ever thought, that why we feel fatigued after doing a little work, and why it seems as our children never gets tired? Its just because, they are full of energy and sometimes they get bored if they are not involved in some activity. So, why not channelize there energy in some positive direction, by involving them in our day-to-day work? If you are so fond of cleanliness, then you should try to inculcate this habit in your children. This will not only save your time and energy, it will also build a good habit among your children. :grouphug:

I spend a lot of time organizing school things at night so they can easily be put away, then we start over the next day with everyone's work ready to go, clean counter tops, etc.

The whole family pitches in for chores and there are many, indoors and out. My husband is the real neat/clean freak and there is no way we can live up to his standards but we try to keep up with everything. It is a constant battle, but kind of a labor of love.