Menu

True confession time: I just started my first homeschool transcript!

ChemMommy

Suddenly, or at least it seems suddenly to me, we are preparing transcripts for college.

I've watched other people panic about the transcript, smugly thinking that *I* would be so organized and calm when my turn comes.

HA!!

I'm having shakes and tremors as I discussed enrollment issues with an admissions counselor. And this is JUST for a summer school course! AND it is at the college at which I've taught for 20 years.

I was a fool! I stand humbly in the presence of people who have wisely walked this path before me and I thank you for all of the advice you have left on this board.

Guest Katia
:D

Founded and directed and staffed by Kareni, who will save your bacon more than once, in my experience!

:iagree::iagree: Yep!

Time to join the club! That is, the Well Trained (Losing Your) Mind Guidance Counselor Association, founded by Kareni.

LOL! I'd almost forgotten about that club Jane! :001_smile:

And now that oldest is just about out of the nest and I think that I've gained a foothold on this counseling thing, the next one comes along with completely different skills! And the next is different yet.

Lisa

LOL! I'd almost forgotten about that club Jane! :001_smile:

And now that oldest is just about out of the nest and I think that I've gained a foothold on this counseling thing, the next one comes along with completely different skills! And the next is different yet.

Lisa

Wow, you're doing great if you feel like you have foothold!

My #2 I have absolutely no clue how to help guide.

My #3 is driving me crazy b/c in the last 2 yrs we have gone from culinary arts to forensic science to a toss up between forensic science and library science? :tongue_smilie: (I really need one that is smacking its forehead and pulling its hair out!!)

#4 is almost completely beyond my abilities to teach in math and science (ok, he is!) I have no clue about top tier schools b/c they have never been a realistic option b/c of finances. But, he now has his eyes set on that goal and has already started planning on how he is going to get the merit $ to pay for it. :confused:

I sure liked it a lot better when the most difficult decision I had to make was whether they played soccer or basketball as their outside sport. :tongue_smilie:

I wish I could warn the moms on the high school board that there are only months between all of the agony about how to plan for high school and the beginning of college applications. Twenty-four months ago, I was diligently studying college prep programs for high school for the first time and feeling overwhelmed. How, in two short years, did I go from THAT to calling an admissions officer???

I know that this is just a little summer course, but I'll let you know how it goes!!

I know that I have made three transcripts for my middle so far and I don't know how many I will end up. Just realize that while you want to keep the same info the same if you are applying to the same place twice, the look of the transcript or the format can change. I don't like the one I have now. It was okay for the summer program but that same school will be getting a new format for admissions that will allow me to add enough courses in the right categories. (Currently economics is in as an elective although it is a social science and was a mandatory course.):tongue_smilie:

Transient Chris mentioned format and location of content changing on a transcript.

After I had a blooper (two diff. formats sent to the same school, although I should have kept it consistent over time) on my first student's transcript, fortunately no one but me noticed. From that time on, I have started saving the transcripts with the date in the filename, and each time I send to a college (dd applied to 8) I save that file that I mailed with the school's name and the date in the filename as well. Keeps me sane.

We've also kept a file for each school with documentation of all

- correspondence

- notes on phone or face-to-face conversations

- business cards stapled inside,

- records of thank you notes written

- a list of the dates when we submitted documents/potfolios, forms, and various other applications, such as for instutional programs, scholarships

With two of us working with each school, sometimes they call her, sometimes they call me, sometimes she sees emails, or sometimes I see them, etc. It is the only way to keep us on the same page.