Menu

Can ham leftovers be frozen & still taste good?

I bought a small, 7 lb, spiral sliced, bone-in, ham for Easter. DS3, DD, and DH love ham. The other two boys don't like it, and lets just say it is not my favorite meat.

I put the slices in the fridge and have served them for every meal today.

I froze the bone with a bunch of ham on it, to use later to make pea soup.

DH is getting kind of sick of ham. He had it for breakfast with deviled eggs and pineapple upside down cake. He had a ham sandwich for lunch. He had ham, fried eggs, and biscuits for dinner.

We are nowhere near being out of ham.

If I freeze the meat, will it still taste good after it is thawed? If so, how long can it remain frozen?

I'm not in the mood to make bean soup until September.

Thanks,

RC

I freeze ham all the time but I usually chop it up to use in soups, vegetable dishes, egg dishes and stuff like that. It tastes fine like that. I usually freeze for up to 3 months.

:iagree: Especially in regards to dicing it and using it in other recipes. Works great! I usually freeze in 1-cup portions for adding easily to soups and casseroles, but it works great for omlets and quiches, too.

I freeze mine, too. I just finished up using our leftovers from Christmas...and now I have a supply from Easter. I just put the slices right in bags & freeze. Of course, if you take the time now to chunk it, it's much easier in the long run...but I'm often too lazy after a big meal to do so!

Our recent favorite is to make Chinese Fried Rice...I make a bunch of rice in my rice cooker, meanwhile, scramble a couple eggs, then add frozen peas & carrots, then ham, then rice...sprinkle some soy sauce & ginger. Yummy! All of my kids like it...(that is a rare find, indeed!).

I also love to make cheesy potatoes & put diced ham in it as the main dish. It's also great to make a big chef salad in the summertime.

Thank you very much, all of you, for your suggestions. I will do as you say.

Boy, do I wish I liked ham. Ruins a perfectly good vegetable quiche to put it in there -- but maybe DH will stop saying "real men don't eat quiche" if it has meat in it. :)

DD just asked me to make pea soup. Maybe I'll do that with some of this, for the day after tomorrow. Tomorrow we are not having ham.